Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

My son was accepted into the special education classes in the Round Rock School district as Autistic. Since being in the half day program at a local elementary school, they have retracted the label of Autistic and labeled him pervasive learning disorder. His speech development is slow and at four he is still not proactively going to the bathroom (he knows how, he just won't do it on his own) Right now for the other half of his day he is at a Stepping Stone and it is quickly becoming evident this is not the right place for him. He has problems during transition times and can become overstimulated very easily. He does better in small classes and when he has a task at hand to do. I am desperate for some advice on alternative day care facilities or a different type of child care enviroment altogether. If anyone has any type of advice I would be eternally greatful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 10:07 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,796,624 times
Capitol School of Austin is worth a visit:
Capitol School of Austin | About Us

This would be the second option that you mentioned, a different educational environment altogether. Each group is led by a speech-language pathologist. Since someone will surely mention the cost of tuition, I'll go ahead and say this is something you should discuss with Capitol School and your insurance company before deciding that would be prohibitive. CSA is an option not only for communication disorders, but they are well aware of sensory integration difficulties as well. Problems with transition are common, making it something that would be recognized and addressed daily.

Last edited by capcat; 03-19-2010 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: