Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 PM

64 posts, read 167,394 times

Advertisements

i'm just curious, if you recently moved to Austin:

where did you move from? and

are you happy with your decision? (Also, what part of Austin did you move to)?

any details would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 03:49 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Moved here from Seattle in January of 2009. We live in SW Austin. We haven't regretted it for a moment. We did live here in 1999-2001 so we had a good idea about what we were getting ourselves into. We are very grateful to be living here.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:31 PM

97 posts, read 199,432 times
I did about seven months ago,gettin out of here this weekend for good.I try to love this city but I couldnt. I think I am still in love with east coast.Moving to georgia, around savannah area.I just cant wait. Good luck to you.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I also moved out of Austin several years back. People don't know what a really good city truly is.

Here is as hilarious blog about Fort Worth vs. Austin. For a small city Fort Worth seems to have more than Austin:
http://www.dfw.com/2010/03/16/250234...weird-ill.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by asena View Post
I did about seven months ago,gettin out of here this weekend for good.I try to love this city but I couldnt. I think I am still in love with east coast.Moving to georgia, around savannah area.I just cant wait. Good luck to you.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:17 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,341 times
I am doing it in June. I will let you know then

Old 03-24-2010, 05:54 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post

Hey I sent you a message

Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM

97 posts, read 199,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I also moved out of Austin several years back. People don't know what a really good city truly is.

Here is as hilarious blog about Fort Worth vs. Austin. For a small city Fort Worth seems to have more than Austin:
Commentary: Keep Austin weird; I'll take Fort Worth

That was preety funnyy

Old 03-25-2010, 04:12 AM

428 posts, read 1,065,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
And we'll be right behind ya.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 AM

75 posts, read 467,536 times
Everyone has different reasons why they love or hate a city. I personally love living here, even moving form the Bay Area in CA. Everyone is so much more friendly here and welcoming. I live in SW Austin doward Dripping and love it. But I love my community and have met some great people, and love the schools for my child. So, a single person may not feel the same way. I guess I think the size is perfect. And I can live "out", but only 20 minutes from downtown.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:12 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
i'm just curious, if you recently moved to Austin:
For the purposes of answering, I "deem" 1985 to be "recent".

Yes, I love it here so much I've remained for 25 years and plan to never leave.

I will say that there are certain types of people for whom the move might not turn out great.

1) Those who underestimate or didn't fully realize the impact of leaving family and/or close long term friends behind. I know of some examples of this, where people just miss the place and people they left so much, that it wouldn't matter how great Austin is, they want their family/friends back again.

2) People who come from cultures (some California areas for example) where their sense of status, well being and "fitting in" is defined more by what they do for a living, economic position, and their consumer consumption habits than it is their personality and core being. It's a bummer to show up in Austin thinking you're hot sh*t only to find out nobody cares about your superficial veneer. The result is, some find it hard to make friends because they've never learned to connect with people in the manner most common in Austin.

3) People who have unrealistic expectations, or think that pulling a "geographical" to Austin will somehow cure their general unhappiness with life and themselves. We get a lot of those whiners on the forums here. Yes, Austin is a great city in many ways, but in many other ways, it's just as plain vanilla as Anywhere USA once you leave the central core areas.

And no matter where you go, there you are. Negative, unhappy, friendless people will remain so in Austin, not because of Austin, but because of themselves. But they'll of course tell you about all of Austin's shortcomings.

Finally, if you are a person who asks not what Austin can do for you, but what you can do for Austin. If you are one who likes to contribute to your community and be part of it through your participation and giving back, Austin offers abundant and ample opportunity to fulfill that life mission no matter your demographic category or economic status.

Come on in, the water is great!

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin