Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 AM

48 posts, read 135,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
My two cents then about the traffic in and around Austin: it's insane with insane drivers. I'm beginning to think life isn't of much value here.

My god, speed the hell up already. Yesterday was the worst driving day I've had since coming here...people driving 45 in a 65, waiting until the last minute to merge and then pulling out in front of me, people slamming on breaks for yellow lights. Was there a full moon or something yesterday?

Yes, I drive fast and I don't know my way around here yet.

Bring back the street cars. Put them everywhere. Ban all cars and trucks.

BTW, anyone notice premium gas is almost 3 bucks a gallon?
Fixed your statement..Like every thing in life it is all about perspective.
Not trying to be a troll, but I see the same thing similarly but different.

My sunny day car gets 9 MPG and runs on supreme (65 Cadillac) so I spend $30ish a day on gas. I was hoping for all electric cars by now so that gas would go down to less than a $1 per gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 AM

5,870 posts, read 11,942,410 times
I've been driving in Austin for well over 20 years and here's what I've noticed:

Many, many more cars on the road...with the exception of the toll roads, we have the same roads as before with 3 or 4X the number of cars on them. Besides congestion, what you get is a mix of driving habits all trying to occupy the same space at the same time. Before there was plenty of room on the road for speeders and slow pokes alike, but the congestion forces everyone into the same space and the consequences get really ugly.

Rush hour used to be only an hour but it's pushing that boundary. I've been having to work late lately - used to be by 6 the roads had cleared some but I still find myself in bumper to bumper up until 6:30 and it starts well before 5:00.

Yes, Austin isn't as bad as LA or Atlanta, but I'm not sure that's any comfort given the size of our fair city. Frankly, the scary thing is that it isn't going to get any better and will likely get worse.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:50 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,006,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
You should stay in the right lane at all times. Please don't move to the left lane two miles before you need to turn left.

Drivers become insane when they are frustrated. If you drive slow in the wrong place - you are helping to cause frustrated driving.

Hmmm, so I should not be able to drive in the left lane if I'm going the speed limit?

I would stay in the right lane and then switch close to where I need to turn left but most of the time people don't let me in. (i will admit, there are rare occasions people are kind)

Soooo, in order to not miss my turn I will get in the turn lane long before I need to so I don't have to drive 20 miles out of my way for others to get their way.

I used to do that by the way but no more. If I'm going the speed limit and I'm in a lane and you hit me from behind is it going to be my fault?

Furthermore, I don't take on the notion that I'm causing other people to become insane behind the wheel. They already are. It's like living with an abuser...I'm suppose to be careful of what I say or do so they won't kill me? I'm not suppose to drive the speed limit out of fear the "insane" drivers are going to lose it? I'm tired of being afraid. No more. I'm officially Kathy Bates with a shopping cart now. But only when I'm driving alone. When I have the kids in the car I will pull over and let the a$$ holes pass me while I give them the finger under the dashboard so they don't see me being the coward I am.

You know what? I really get tired of being on the road minding my own business, watching the speed limit when some joker comes out of no-where and looks like they're about to take a seat in my trunk.

I then watch that person switching lanes as far as the eye can see. To me they're reckless.

I stand by my original thought: slow the hell down and try, at least try, to be courteous on the road. You can't possibly be that important to automatically have the right to terrorize the rest of the drivers on the road to get to where you think you need to go.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM

515 posts, read 1,398,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinitelookingtohelp View Post
People who have lived in Austin for 15+ years, myself included, complain about traffic because we remember when 15 years ago, you could drive from way south to way north Austin, at 5pm, without any traffic in 20-30 minutes. It has changed so drastically, and the roads were not built to accommodate the congestion that has been building for many years. This, in my opinion, is where many of the 'complaints' stem from. But that's just my two cents worth.
That's what I was told by some people I met last week who have lived in Austin a long time. Very understandable.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:38 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,670,435 times
If there is a left turn approaching, then the road is a surface street, not a freeway, and the slower/faster lanes don't apply at all. You will not see any signs that say "slower traffic keep right". You can drive in whichever lane you choose, although it is usually the lane you will be eventually turning from.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 04-22-2010 at 01:02 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 12:50 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,006,393 times
And when you're in Texas you can make the side of the road a lane too.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I see drivers actually driving off the road as if it were a lane. I've even seen people pass other cars using that off the road cement as a lane.

Well, I'm sorry but it happened to me the other day when a gal behind me couldn't get around me fast enough to make a right hand turn...I was already sticking out into traffic trying to accommodate her. She went off into that Texas lane, (which is just the side of the road) and ripped her muffler off because it was a big hole.

I confess: I had a surge of glad and "see what you get", (all of which I know I'll pay for sooner or later). I know...it's terrible.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:06 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,670,435 times
It is legal to turn right from the shoulder, mainly to allow you to slow down from road speed to turn speed without impeeding traffic. Passing on the shoulder, however, is illegal under any circumstances, although in certain situations it makes sense (long line of traffic going straight and the passing driver is unable to get to the right turn lane at a light, for example). It is legal to drive on the shoulder to ALLOW people to pass if there is only one lane in each direction. Personally, if people are paying attention (in case someone else decides to pull over on the shoulder), I don't have a problem with it. I have no desire for someone to sit in traffic when there is no reason. If, on the other hand, they drive like idiots passing moving cars, that is another matter.....

Old 04-22-2010, 01:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,441,384 times
Quote:

I can't begin to tell you how many times I see drivers actually driving off the road as if it were a lane. I've even seen people pass other cars using that off the road cement as a lane.

Well, I'm sorry but it happened to me the other day when a gal behind me couldn't get around me fast enough to make a right hand turn...I was already sticking out into traffic trying to accommodate her. She went off into that Texas lane, (which is just the side of the road) and ripped her muffler off because it was a big hole.

I confess: I had a surge of glad and "see what you get", (all of which I know I'll pay for sooner or later). I know...it's terrible.
And if a cop sees her doing it, she'll get a ticket, as well. It IS illegal to use the shoulder as a traffic lane.

I agree with you that drivers who are driving the speed limit in the left lane (not below it, the speed limit) are not responsible for the insanity of those who peg their sanity to whether or not they can go faster than the speed limit. Not that you will ever, ever, ever convince someone of that who is convinced that it's anyone's responsibility but theirs for how they react behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

I pull over, where feasible, and let them go by, but it's not because they're right and I'm wrong.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,441,384 times
Odd, that double posted. Deleted one of them.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:23 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,025,361 times
Quote:

That is obnoxious. People are blatant about it too. The best is when someone uses an offramp just to bypass 1/8 mile of traffic to get to the next onramp because the access road is apparently the "5th lane" of the highway..

(as if no one will notice the resulting traffic jam between the two ramps )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin