Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM

44 posts, read 132,318 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if there are any bad schools to stay away from in the Round Rock area? I ran across this thread today and it concerned me a little about a possible transfer to the Round Rock area.

Here is the thread I found:

Dallas vs Round Rock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A native Dallasite, and having recently been to Round Rock to check it out for my family, I can tell you what I know. Dallas is a huge city so yes of course there is lots of crime. I dislike the extreme summer heat and the crime. Summers are slightly better in Round Rock but beware of which school your neighborhood would be in. I am told by professionals and people who live there that out of the 4 high schools in Round Rock only 2 of them don't have gangs and riots and crime and the other 2 do. The 2 to not go with are Stoney (something) Fork? Point? one of those, and Roundrock High.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my question is are there bad gang areas in the area, or any run down areas that we should stay away from.

Or are there any schools that absolutely stand out above the rest (ie. elementary thru- highschool.

Finally, is there a drug problem for kids in the area?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 03:37 PM

212 posts, read 1,076,305 times
I have heard Stoney (Stoner?) Point is the one to be concerned with. Someone told me last week also that Round Rock HS is not much better. Our oldest will be in 2nd grade so I figure we have plenty of time to get a better feel for the area until then.

I do wonder how much of that is longstanding feuds, misperception etc vs. reality. I haven't seen or heard much in terms of gangs in Round Rock, am I missing something?

Old 06-13-2007, 06:13 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,189 times
Stony Point HS can be rough - I was actually employed there as a school counselor for a very short time (I quit - it was too much of a culture shock after my small, elite, wealthy school in New England) and my colleagues were very open about the issues with gangs, drugs, etc. They said there were a lot of good kids, but more often than not, there were issues from a large segment of students coming from a transient/poverty population.

I would not put Round Rock HS in the same category, although I have also been told RRHS is not nearly as strong as McNeil and Westwood. However, I have a colleague now at UTexas who has his son at RRHS and is very pleased - he has a PhD in Education (my colleague) and is very focused and involved in education, so I trust his opinion. So I have heard conflicting info on RRHS.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
I know Deerpark Middle school is a good school

I'll let you know about Westwood HS next year.

I do know that Westwood ranked in the top 100 schools in the nation for college preparedness.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,512 times
I am a senior at Stony Point High School and I can honestly tell you that it is an amazing school.
It has a diverse population of students. I really think its rudiculous that people call it "stoners" point. Yes there are students who do drugs, but not any more than what there are at any other high school. I know that most parents want there students to be safe and get a good education, I can assure you Stony Point is the a very very safe school and has great well-qualified teachers. The sports are all doing really good, we are now an IB school so the classes are really great, NJROTC is an incredibly fun organization as well.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:27 PM

372 posts, read 1,148,667 times
Stony Point is kind of unique in that you have students from very diverse demographic neighborhoods. I know quite a few Round Rock police officers and they say that Stony Point gets a bad rap because of this diversity but that there is not a major problem at this School.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,973 times
well ive been to both these schools round rock and stony point and i suggest that future srudents go to round rock stony has more trouble,drama,fight etc. i left stony point my 1styear and im already a senior at round rock and i never seen a fight or anything like ive seen in stony point GO ROUND ROCK DRAGONS)

Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 PM

17 posts, read 124,079 times
Interesting that Stoney Point and RRHS (the "problem" schools) are the only two of RRISD's high schools which are actually in the city of RR. Westwood and McNeil are not. What can this mean? And what of the new HS (Cedar Ridge)?

Old 11-03-2015, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
I am a senior at STONY Point (It's spelled S-T-O-N-Y.) I have been there all four years and I love it. I couldn't ask for a better school. The teachers try their hardest to help you in anyway they can. The only real bad things that have happened this year is our school had a kitchen fire. And yes, okay there is people that do drugs and fight but they are the minority of the school. Also all schools have their people like that, but just because our school was bad in the early 2000's doesn't mean it hasn't changed. We are the only IB school in Round Rock ISD. Our school is full of brilliant minds! I am proud to be part of it. They have helped the seniors in so many ways too. While the underclassmen took the PSAT they gave us a college fair and taught us how to use FAFSA, and how to apply for colleges. I could not be more grateful for this school.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:38 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieraelamb View Post
I am a senior at STONY Point (It's spelled S-T-O-N-Y.) I have been there all four years and I love it. I couldn't ask for a better school. The teachers try their hardest to help you in anyway they can. The only real bad things that have happened this year is our school had a kitchen fire. And yes, okay there is people that do drugs and fight but they are the minority of the school. Also all schools have their people like that, but just because our school was bad in the early 2000's doesn't mean it hasn't changed. We are the only IB school in Round Rock ISD. Our school is full of brilliant minds! I am proud to be part of it. They have helped the seniors in so many ways too. While the underclassmen took the PSAT they gave us a college fair and taught us how to use FAFSA, and how to apply for colleges. I could not be more grateful for this school.
Westwood high school has an IB program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: