Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 AM

302 posts, read 690,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Houston is dead on the weekends? I must've missed that memo Moderator cut: see comment
Well, be glad you just received it then! Went to the city on vacation, and the city itself was DEAD on the weekend. No one was there. As in, places were closed, couldn't find open restaurants to eat other than hotel and aquarium.

I'm sure outside of the city center itself things were going on, but the city itself was empty. And hot as heck (prob from so much concrete?).

Maybe there was a quarantine going on? Moderator cut: orphaned I just don't know. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm sure you love your city, as I do mine. So, to each their own. Toodeloo.

Last edited by Bo; 06-14-2010 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: updated quote to match original and removed orphaned reference to quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 09:08 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
No. If you have a teenager's immature small-minded mush mentality and you love the longhorns then you might enjoy Austin. 6th street is designed to encourage alcoholism and festivity without class and culture involved. Austin offers far less than a major Texas city. And the homeless bums are totally out of control.

If you are a mature adult that enjoys lavish art communities, multiculturalism, gargantuan shopping centers at nearly every corner, professional sports teams, professional customer service, and big city life then you need to try Dallas or Houston. I've never heard a single snarky or rude comment when I've ordered food or services in those two cities.

Austin is a whole other story where you cannot do anything without people rolling their eyes at you or making really dumb jokes at your expense. Every waiter and customer service coordinator thinks they are George Carlin or Kathy Griffin.

Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio are for adults. Austin is for snooty brats and politicians.
Dang Artsy--- you use to praise Austin, what the heck??

Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Dang Artsy--- you use to praise Austin, what the heck??
Are you serious? When was that?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Yeah, it must have been before I got on City-Data, because when I arrived, he was badmouthing it for not having a gayborhood, and he's been badmouthing it about one thing or another ever since.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:15 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Are you serious? When was that?
If you go back to his very first posts regarding Austin, they were positive. You have to go back a few years but that's the thing with posting here, you cannot expunge your posting history!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 AM

308 posts, read 1,468,059 times
I didn't like Austin before I went to Las Vegas, which is almost one block from desert, while Austin still has so many trees and grass, though not so beautiful as those in the east part of this country, at least there are some and much more than somewhere else.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:00 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
If you go back to his very first posts regarding Austin, they were positive. You have to go back a few years but that's the thing with posting here, you cannot expunge your posting history!
Really?! Artsyguy used to praise Austin on this board. WOW!!!!! I mean, I know he can't keep his lies straight about having gone to school here (or not), having lived here (or not), having worked here (or not), etc., but for him to not even be able to remember that he is supposed to randomly disparage the city with every post, so that he can be ignored as a troll? That's weird, even for him.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,513 times
I would have to say that Houston is not all that some people think its cracked up to be. I live in a suburb of Houston (born and raised) and I am currently trying to relocate to the Austin area. Every since hurricane Katrina the crime rate has sky rocketed all over houston and surrounding areas. I can't stand to even watch the news in the evening because its almost all about shootings, murders, rapes, children missing, break in's, etc., its not anything good. I would have to say that there are a lot more job opportunities in Houston versus Austin but I would say thats because Houston is a lot bigger. My brother has lived in a suburb of Austin on the Northwest side for 2 years now and him and his family love it and would not even think twice about coming back to Houston. Everyone has there perferences and things that they like and I would rather trade the crime for the traffic (which my brother admitted is worse than Houston) anyday.

Just my thoughts

Old 06-14-2010, 06:07 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Austin needs to add a river walk. We should dig up 6th street from Waller Creek to Brazos, then dig Brazos to Lady Bird Lake..... just think about the added value!
As a matter of fact, I did hear something about the Waller Creek Project, which another poster posted a post about. I don't think we really have the space to create something as....what's the word, microcosmic? in Austin, and Lady Bird Lake (nee Town Lake) is too wide. I'm referring to the San Antonio Riverwalk being kind of intimate, like small enough to have restaurants lining both sides and whatnot. We have a much wider neck of the river, meaning we could do more with it, all except build a legit Riverwalk. This Waller Creek deal going on might be the closest we could hope to get.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:09 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmmm View Post
Really?! Artsyguy used to praise Austin on this board. WOW!!!!! I mean, I know he can't keep his lies straight about having gone to school here (or not), having lived here (or not), having worked here (or not), etc., but for him to not even be able to remember that he is supposed to randomly disparage the city with every post, so that he can be ignored as a troll? That's weird, even for him.
No ****??? Damn, I gotta do me some muckraking, this is just too good to be true! Win a Pulitzer for that right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin