Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,112,439 times

Advertisements

I just got through reading "In a sunburned country" by Bill Bryson. I love his books, he has a hilarious sense of humor. Have any of your Aussies read it? I've never been, although I would like to visit sometime before I die. At one point I considered going there and picking grapes on a work visa. But I didn't seriously pursue it.

Obviously Australia and the US have a lot of similarities, and obviously quite a few differences. My dad went there, and from what I can gather:

Australia probably has most in common with the culture of the WESTERN United States. Although even though the American southwest has similarities to Australia, theres no streches of Nevada, Utah, New Mexico that are THAT empty. Plus the existance of high mountains in the west US, means that we have perrenial rivers (Colorado River, Rio Grande, etc.) which means we can support agriculture and cities far in the inland.

Americans fought a war for independence, Australia weaned themselves off Britain phases. While Americans are very proud of this, unfortunately I think it may have set a precedence in American culture for the last 200 years on an individual and national basis, we are more quicker to accept fighting for things. This also means that the Americans and Australians have very different views of their flag. Americans idolize their flag, while the Australian flag because it has the union jack on it, is seen with mixed feelings.

Australia seems like an outdoor lovers paradise, however Aussies that come here are just as impressed with our national parks as we are with Aussie nature. However, putting myself in your shoes, I do understand that the oppressive heat, lack of water, brushfires, and multitude of critters big and small that will bite and sting you all over the country, limits what you can do and when you want to do it outdoors.

Having said that: Here would be my comparisons:

The populated part of Australia has a nearly identical climate and landscape as California.

Perth being in the SW corner I've heard is a like a very isolated San Diego.

Adelaide from what I gather, being the center of the biggest wine growing area, with charming Victorian architecture, and having a hippie movement in the 60s can compared to San Francisco.

Sydney could be compared to Chicago maybe, a large multicultural city, with lots of sprawling suburbia with its bold architecture displayed a long a harborfront. Melbourne being more of the historical center, from what I understand could be compared to Boston or Philadelphia.

Queensland is the like the "American south" of Australia from what I understand: a hot/humid region that was a backwater for many years, and has grown more recently. Brisbane-Gold Coast is like the "Florida" of Australia, while further north into the tropics and Cairns, the closest American comparison, might have to be Hawaii although thats a stretch.

The rest of the outback would be compared to Nevada, Utah, Arizona, with the population of what that area was like 50 to 100 years ago.

The great dividing range would be like the Appalachians, and forest of the mountains near Perth, would be like the Redwood or Sequoia forests of California.

You might thinking "shut up already and just come down here and see for yourself" But how on target am I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I just got through reading "In a sunburned country" by Bill Bryson. I love his books, he has a hilarious sense of humor. Have any of your Aussies read it? I've never been, although I would like to visit sometime before I die. At one point I considered going there and picking grapes on a work visa. But I didn't seriously pursue it.

Obviously Australia and the US have a lot of similarities, and obviously quite a few differences. My dad went there, and from what I can gather:

Australia probably has most in common with the culture of the WESTERN United States. Although even though the American southwest has similarities to Australia, theres no streches of Nevada, Utah, New Mexico that are THAT empty. Plus the existance of high mountains in the west US, means that we have perrenial rivers (Colorado River, Rio Grande, etc.) which means we can support agriculture and cities far in the inland.

Americans fought a war for independence, Australia weaned themselves off Britain phases. While Americans are very proud of this, unfortunately I think it may have set a precedence in American culture for the last 200 years on an individual and national basis, we are more quicker to accept fighting for things. This also means that the Americans and Australians have very different views of their flag. Americans idolize their flag, while the Australian flag because it has the union jack on it, is seen with mixed feelings.

Australia seems like an outdoor lovers paradise, however Aussies that come here are just as impressed with our national parks as we are with Aussie nature. However, putting myself in your shoes, I do understand that the oppressive heat, lack of water, brushfires, and multitude of critters big and small that will bite and sting you all over the country, limits what you can do and when you want to do it outdoors.

The populated part of Australia has a nearly identical climate and landscape as California.

Adelaide from what I gather, being the center of the biggest wine growing area, with charming Victorian architecture, and having a hippie movement in the 60s can compared to San Francisco.

Sydney could be compared to Chicago maybe, a large multicultural city, with lots of sprawling suburbia with its bold architecture displayed a long a harborfront. Melbourne being more of the historical center, from what I understand could be compared to Boston or Philadelphia.

Queensland is the like the "American south" of Australia from what I understand: a hot/humid region that was a backwater for many years, and has grown more recently. Brisbane-Gold Coast is like the "Florida" of Australia, while further north into the tropics and Cairns, the closest American comparison, might have to be Hawaii although thats a stretch.

The rest of the outback would be compared to Nevada, Utah, Arizona, with the population of what that area was like 50 to 100 years ago.

The great dividing range would be like the Appalachians, and forest of the mountains near Perth, would be like the Redwood or Sequoia forests of California.

You might thinking "shut up already and just come down here and see for yourself" But how on target am I?
Actually the reason we love going to the national parks is that is what we like to do when we are home. Some of the monumental landscapes are not readily available due to the geological differences but still trekking through Yosemite is much like hiking through the Blue Mountains and the Megalong Valley.

Still I would leave much of the East Coast and MidWest out of any comparisons. If you have only been to cities in the US I would stick to the West Coast for how it all feels. Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane are comparable to San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. Perth is also much like San Diego and then Adelaide really is more like being in Scottsdale/Phoenix. I would not say you have the counterculture as you have in SF. And then our poor cousins in Tasmania who are often left out of any comparison are the Pacific Northwest.

Still you should really come and see for yourself and to quote a (in)famous Australian "Where the bloody hell are you?"

Old 08-16-2010, 05:20 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
I've read that book (it's called "Downunder" here) and found it hilarious.. but I love Bill Bryson.

I loved the bit how he said he'd take a drive up to Brisbane, and considered that because the little "suns" were nearly hitting each other on the weather map ... that it'd take 3 hours from Sydney ....

I do recall reading once that the Victorian climate is quite similar to the Californian climate... however everyone laughed that off (due to Melbourne having the reputation of being cold and dreary)

There are similiarties, yet a lot of differences... so yes, you should come & visit.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
There might be similarities that can be found, but it is still it's own distinct country.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
I just got through reading "In a sunburned country" by Bill Bryson. I love his books, he has a hilarious sense of humor. Have any of your Aussies read it?
Yes, I've read that one and a few of his other books. Love his humour and writing style, very easy and fun to read. Thanks to Bill, I chuckle every time I see or hear about cricket.

Quote:
Australia probably has most in common with the culture of the WESTERN United States. Although even though the American southwest has similarities to Australia, theres no streches of Nevada, Utah, New Mexico that are THAT empty.
There was one particularly long and bleak stretch we drove on the way from Santa Fe to Monument Valley. But we've got way longer stretches of way bleaker landscape so you're right.

Quote:
Plus the existance of high mountains in the west US, means that we have perrenial rivers (Colorado River, Rio Grande, etc.) which means we can support agriculture and cities far in the inland.
I love those high mountains. Living in Perth, which is flat as a pancake, I really miss seeing mountains. I used to live at the foot of one in Vancouver. We could support more agriculture up north where there's quite a bit of water coming out of the sky but what we don't have is the can-do attitude to get that done.

Quote:
Australia seems like an outdoor lovers paradise, however Aussies that come here are just as impressed with our national parks as we are with Aussie nature.
I sure am! But then you've got some impressive landscape in a lot of those impressive national parks and they're easy to get to, often within a few hours of each other, like in the Southwest. Here, we've got to drive a day or two sometimes, especially here in the West. And some of the national parks down south are nice but they're pretty much the same landscape. I think our coastline is our best feature.

Quote:
I live here in Perth and have been to San Diego a number of times, and would agree that the two seem to have a similar feel to them. We're just a heck of a lot more isolated with crappy Mexican food

Quote:
Just quite a bit shorter I would think? I'll let you know in a couple of months as I plan to visit Sequoia NP.

Quote:
On the surface some similarities but overall a very different country to the US. Yes, come for a visit. Good luck and have fun

Old 08-16-2010, 07:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:

The US has a ton of landscapes we don't have - like high mountains, the great lakes, canyons.etc - so obviously it's something we miss in a pretty flat country.

Most of the populated parts of Australia are in the East and Southeast, which don't have a climate at all like California. More like coastal North Carolina (which milder winters).

The Perth/San Diego comparison is pretty obvious.

WA and California are both called the 'Golden State', Queensland and Florida are both called the 'Sunshine State.'

The 'isolated' parts of the Western US has alot more cities/towns than Oz. Western Australia is almost empty except around the edges. I believe the nearest town to Giles Met Station is in the order of 1,000 km (600 miles) - nearest town of ANY size, not big city.

The US definitely has much more of it's own identity than Aus, which still hasn't completely shacken off it's British legacy. I think American society is smugly self-confident while Aussies are actually culturally insecure/influenced alot by other nations like America.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:13 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
I have read Bill Bryson books. They were real entertaining.

Well Adeliade is not the only major part of this country for the wine industry. There is an large wine industry in Victoria, New South Wales, also Western Australia and Queensland so it is spread all around as when I go to the captial cities of thoese regions they also promote wine tours of the region and not just Adeliade.

I know an American that lives in Australia and says the Gold Coast is like Florida, and in some ways he is right, with the ammusment parks, nightclubs, highrises along the beach. But the Gold Coast has half an million people and Florida has about 18 million people. So Florida is much more densely populated than Gold Coast or Queensland even though Queenland population has 4.2 million people.

I never knew Adelade has an hippy movement compared to San Franfricso of the 1960s. The only real region that had an real big hippy type of movement of an large extent would be Byron Bay and the surrounding regions and that is in the far north of NSW.

Both Melbourne and Sydney are very multicultural cities.

I dont think there is alot of similarities with the US and Australia. Australia has more in common with Canada than the US.

Last edited by other99; 08-16-2010 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,877 times
From a purely climactic / geographic standpoint I would say:

Los Angeles - Perth
Orlando - Brisbane
Miami - Cairns
Seattle - Hobart
Phoenix - Alice Springs
San Jose - Adelaide

In general, the southeast coast of the US is like the central east coast of Australia. Most of Australia is desert, like the American southwest. Australia is very flat, except for some mountains in the southeast, which I guess would be like a milder version of Colorado.

Tasmania is like the Pacific Northwest. There are a lot of well-known wine regions in South Australia, so I guess it would be analogous to southern California in that respect. Some of the Queensland islands (Whitsundays, etc.) would be roughly like Hawaii.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post

Los Angeles - Perth
Orlando - Brisbane
Miami - Cairns
Seattle - Hobart
Phoenix - Alice Springs
San Jose - Adelaide

In general, the southeast coast of the US is like the central east coast of Australia. Most of Australia is desert, like the American southwest. Australia is very flat, except for some mountains in the southeast, which I guess would be like a milder version of Colorado.

Tasmania is like the Pacific Northwest. There are a lot of well-known wine regions in South Australia, so I guess it would be analogous to southern California in that respect. Some of the Queensland islands (Whitsundays, etc.) would be roughly like Hawaii.
Northern California - especially the Napa Valley - is known for it's wines. SA isn't really as dominant in terms of viticulture as it once was - other regions in Australia can now more than match it.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 PM

150 posts, read 560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post

Los Angeles - Perth
Orlando - Brisbane
Miami - Cairns
Seattle - Hobart
Phoenix - Alice Springs
San Jose - Adelaide

In general, the southeast coast of the US is like the central east coast of Australia.
[
Iwould agree with the above as I have been to both …with just a little correction:

Brisbane is on the coast of Australia East Coast…Orlando is inland in Florida. Also, Orlando is warmer (annual mean 73 F) than Brisbane (68 F). Climate wise Brisbane as the annual range closer to New Orleans (69 F) or Savannah, GA (67 F). Also, the Gulf/South Atlantic states are much more sunny than most of Queensland. Otherwise, Queensland and the northern parts of New South Wales are a lot like the Gulf/South Atlantic states: Humidity, gators, tropical cyclones, snakes…etc – lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand