Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 03:32 PM

53 posts, read 108,456 times

Advertisements

I've read wiki-stats, and other forums that seem to post on Coffs Harbour. It seems real nice area to live in with kids too. But, I thought I'd ask here as well.

Here is the situation:

I've a family of 4, and my kids have grown up in America ( Ohio, SC &florida). I've always found a nice area, where my kids can run and play like the old Tom Sawyer way; they have a lifetime of paying bills and running amuck with red-tape. My doors stay unlocked and more. Business wise, Florida just stinks. I get to know my neighbors and prefer areas that are family wise.

On top of it, I was interested in buying a bunch of land in Coffs Harbour...and look at it this way, I've another good 20 years to truely build up hard on that for a farm, to make it awesome for grandkids. Get them some ATVs, horses, and more. I prefer local schools, and like a neighborly atmosphere. While I like traveling to cities to stay for a while, I'm just not keen on living everyday in them.

So...what makes Coff Harbour so great in your eyes, or bad? Should I buy there and try to start a business there? Or, should I stick to a city like Sydney? What is your opinion? Let me know.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 04:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
Coffs is a largish country town, almost a small city, with plenty of appeal.
It has very green scenery and hinterland, good beaches and a warm subtropical climate.
It is a fairly young city, with plenty of young families, and self-sustaining with local industry and tourism.
As far as safety, the days of leaving the doors unlocked though are probably a thing of the past, in all but the most remote country towns.
I would be cautious about opening a business there though, as effectively ""buying a job"" in a country coastal area can be dangerous, and would need to be thoroughly researched with a back-up plan in place.
Many people in country areas can be fickle, with not very high disposeable incomes so hence on a tight budget - and expecting everything to be on the cheap.
If you are interested in getting some land, and a semi-rural lifestyle, then the outskirts of Coffs Harbour offer plenty - you will not get this lifestyle, at an affordable price, anywhere around Sydney.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:09 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
I've been to Coff's twice, and can see it's appeal for younger families. The town itself is so-so, nothing special for a small city of about 30,000 (but with a 'metro' area of something like 70,000) but some parts (like around the Big Banana) and the harbour itself were pretty nice, with all the tropical vegetation.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
well I been to Coffs two times as well and its ok esp for young families. It also has an universty. I hear it can be hard finding an job there. In addition I also hear that it can be hard to fit in if you are not local.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
I like Coffs and the area and I felt it better than other coastal towns. But it kinda struck me as a place one moves to after they've financially established themselves towards retirement, in other words not dependent on full time income. All the people I talked to where friendly enough.

I imagine you are a citizen? If not I am sure you are aware you'll need a visa.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 AM

110 posts, read 222,183 times
Coffs is a nice place. I have some friends who have recently moved there for a sea-change. It does seem a bit 'tired' and a bit limited being a good 4 hours drive to a major centre. Personally, if I was going to leave Sydney I'd move further north to the Byron Bay area or the Tweed Shire, somewhere like Pottsville or Kingscliff. My concern about an area like Coffs Harbour is the limited opportunities for children once they leave school, either they hang around town and try to find a job rather than a career or they leave home at an early age to move to Sydney or Brisbane. The climate is great, the beaches are nice but to me it has always been a town on the Pacific Hwy to travel through.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:33 PM

141 posts, read 342,413 times
I have relatives in Coffs Harbour and Ive been there a couple of times. Its a nice place, good climate, pretty much a large country town atmosphere. The kids love it (beaches, weather). I think you'll find it difficult though finding work or setting up a business. Do your research first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand