Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regs4rl View Post
Well, Aussies have sexy accents and we Americans love that (or atleast I do).
Aussie accent sexy?Now there is a first.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:56 PM

11 posts, read 29,162 times
Americans and Australians get along well because of similar cultural aspects. There seems to be two criticisms I've come across about Americans - either that they're loud and arrogant and always showing off, or the actions of their government / capitalism's effect on the world. The irony is, is that Australians are just as loud and arrogant and our government is just as aggressive to other nations/as capitalistic, we just aren't large enough to have much of a profound effect.
Australia also suffers greatly from tall poppy syndrome, so America being the most wealthy and powerful country in the world will naturally receive criticism from Australia.
They both share the beer drinking/sports culture.I heard about the Australian wine is famous across the world.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-04-2010 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: advertising is not permitted

Old 10-04-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy View Post
Americans and Australians get along well because of similar cultural aspects. There seems to be two criticisms I've come across about Americans - either that they're loud and arrogant and always showing off, or the actions of their government / capitalism's effect on the world. The irony is, is that Australians are just as loud and arrogant and our government is just as aggressive to other nations/as capitalistic, we just aren't large enough to have much of a profound effect.
Australia also suffers greatly from tall poppy syndrome, so America being the most wealthy and powerful country in the world will naturally receive criticism from Australia.
They both share the beer drinking/sports culture.I heard about the Australian wine is famous across the world.
I hear what you say and many other folk here in Australia seem to state the same with regards to the Tall Poppy Syndrome, but i find a lot of interest in celebrities out here as well as so many folk,many of limited ability,wanting positions of power,no matter how minor that position may be in order to enable them to lord it over others.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:22 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkotheAussie View Post
nope.

Us Aussies think americans are people who don't know anything outside of the borders of USA mainland. It's the truth. go up to random americans in USA with a map of the world and ask them to point to Australia, USA, Canada, Germany, UK, Sri Lanka. I would be suprised if 7/10 americans you asked got more then 3 correct

no disrespect intended but thats how we aussises view americans
As an American I hate to say it but I agree with you.... At least from the standpoint our younger generation seems to be clueless as to a world existing outside of our borders.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Aussie's and Americans both have that love open road, hit the highway attitude. Both appreciate a nice, fast muscle car.
Most definately a marriage of minds, made in heaven then.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana_Forever View Post
Why do Americans have to have such a lame accent? lol, I would feel like part of an elite club if I had such a colorful Aussie accent ;p

I had the fortunate opportunity recently to test my accent on an actual Australian and he thought I was British...yargh
Sure your not getting a little confused with a Brit accent there,which comes in many shapes and forms?

Old 10-14-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biolink View Post
Yeah lmao.

It bothers me that people actually confuse Australia with Austria.
Australians often seem to confuse Swedish and Swiss have found,so perhaps not so unusual that Australians and Austrians get confused as well.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:16 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Australians often seem to confuse Swedish and Swiss have found,so perhaps not so unusual that Australians and Austrians get confused as well.
Confusing them on paper might be forgivable but actually confusing the countries? One is a tiny alpine nation in Europe, one is a flat, dry continent. Yeah, so confusing!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Confusing them on paper might be forgivable but actually confusing the countries? One is a tiny alpine nation in Europe, one is a flat, dry continent. Yeah, so confusing!
True enough,but then again Australia doesn't get a lot of news coverage abroad...but one would have thought that awareness levels would be higher these days...and wouldn't imagine Austria gets much coverage either.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
Actually Ireland is only one of the many countries that we are descended from. There are actually over 50 nationalities represented in Australia today and so only a very small percentage of the population could claim Irish ancestry. .

Aussie Gal,

the school I went to in Wollongong had over 50 nationalities represented. The number would be closer to 180 for the entire nation. Aussies with at least some Irish blood in them make up ~30% of the population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand