Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:14 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times

Advertisements

This is plain wrong, old people whose children have moved to Aus or NZ should not be allowed to immigrate in unless they can pay the full cost of their medical care as they use it.
They have done nothing for Aus or NZ so why should they be owed ?

Can old foreigners get free medical care in the USA if they move there to be with their children, in other words can they get the USA Medicare at no cost in the states ?

Moderator cut: don't post material from other forums -- there may be copyright issues

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-21-2011 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
As i understand it there is a quota on the numbers allowed into the country in any given year and the requirements are rather demanding with regards to income and private Health Insurance.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
As i understand it there is a quota on the numbers allowed into the country in any given year and the requirements are rather demanding with regards to income and private Health Insurance.
The answer is easy, let no old immigrants in unless they can pay the FULL cost of their health care as they go.
People will say how wonderful the USA system is, fine let them stay with that system if they wish to join their children in Aus or NZ.
We owe old foreigners outside Aus and NZ what ?

I would not allow any visitors from outside the old Commonwealth countries to use our ACC in NZ, outside of Aus,UK, etc no country gives us free medical care after an accident.

Yes, I do dislike foreign bludgers who rant they are owed

Old 04-23-2011, 02:16 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
If older folk are required to finance their own health needs it really doesn't seem to be an issue.In fact rich senior citizens add value. One exception could be if the main part of family are already located in Australia, then on family grounds would likely qualify to relocate.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:43 PM

23 posts, read 60,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
The answer is easy, let no old immigrants in unless they can pay the FULL cost of their health care as they go.
People will say how wonderful the USA system is, fine let them stay with that system if they wish to join their children in Aus or NZ.
We owe old foreigners outside Aus and NZ what ?

I would not allow any visitors from outside the old Commonwealth countries to use our ACC in NZ, outside of Aus,UK, etc no country gives us free medical care after an accident.

Yes, I do dislike foreign bludgers who rant they are owed
I think Work & Income (WINZ) & Housing New Zealand (HNZ)would spend more on housing & providing all forms of financial support to Pacific Islanders & Asians than free medical care given to senior citizens moving to New Zealand.

Did you know HNZ build 6 bedroom houses to house large South Pacific families?

What would the government of these countries provide for Kiwi's?????

Old 04-24-2011, 06:14 PM

387 posts, read 871,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anski View Post
I think Work & Income (WINZ) & Housing New Zealand (HNZ)would spend more on housing & providing all forms of financial support to Pacific Islanders & Asians than free medical care given to senior citizens moving to New Zealand.

Did you know HNZ build 6 bedroom houses to house large South Pacific families?

What would the government of these countries provide for Kiwi's?????
I don't imagine we would get very much at all in other countries.
Can you imagine an elderly Kiwi wishing to move to Spain or any other EU country with free healthcare as a big motive ????
I wish NZ spent more on healthcare for it's own citizens before the newly arrived relatives of non-NZ born new citizens and permanent residents.
It's a giant con

Old 04-24-2011, 07:00 PM

23 posts, read 60,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
I don't imagine we would get very much at all in other countries.
Can you imagine an elderly Kiwi wishing to move to Spain or any other EU country with free healthcare as a big motive ????
I wish NZ spent more on healthcare for it's own citizens before the newly arrived relatives of non-NZ born new citizens and permanent residents.
It's a giant con
But is there not a waiting period before they qualify for healthcare?

Health care is not free to non EU citizens in Europe, my medication costs a fortune in Spain.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:27 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
This is plain wrong, old people whose children have moved to Aus or NZ should not be allowed to immigrate in unless they can pay the full cost of their medical care as they use it.
They have done nothing for Aus or NZ so why should they be owed ?

Can old foreigners get free medical care in the USA if they move there to be with their children, in other words can they get the USA Medicare at no cost in the states ?

Moderator cut: don't post material from other forums -- there may be copyright issues
No, they cannot. They have to "buy into" the system in order to qualify for Medicare here. You don't qualify for Medicare just by simply moving here, you have to pay into it.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No, they cannot. They have to "buy into" the system in order to qualify for Medicare here. You don't qualify for Medicare just by simply moving here, you have to pay into it.
That's what I thought. And you have to pay into it for ... 10 years, I believe? Which seems fair.

In Oz, once you qualify for Permanent Residency, you can get our Medicare right away.

Although isn't your (USA) Medicare for seniors? Ours is for all ages.

It's not easy to qualify for PR in Oz if you are an aged parent. I believe the waiting list is years ... long enough for you to die before you get here, last I heard.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
That's what I thought. And you have to pay into it for ... 10 years, I believe? Which seems fair.

In Oz, once you qualify for Permanent Residency, you can get our Medicare right away.

Although isn't your (USA) Medicare for seniors? Ours is for all ages.

It's not easy to qualify for PR in Oz if you are an aged parent. I believe the waiting list is years ... long enough for you to die before you get here, last I heard.
Medicare in the USA is for people over 65(i believe that is the current age).

Medicaid is for poor people that don't have private insurance.

Healthcare in NZ from what I have seen is behind the times with long waiting lines for treatments. I've heard of people dying waiting in line for cancer treatments. I don't think anyone moves to the NZ for modern, up to date health care.

I don't know what the current NZ law is regarding elder relatives and their ability to immigrate and then bleed off the system, but what is available for retirement is the ability to spend 6 months in the country. From what I could determine the NZ healthcare system only covers you in the case of an emergency, like a car accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand