Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:03 AM

591 posts, read 926,334 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Im 19 and 2 years time once i have finished University my aim is to immigrate to New Zealand. I doubt i would get in as a skilled migrant, and i have no family from NZ. So, is there any other way for me to gain entry to NZ? Or is that hard and a no go?

If it is possible, how long would it usually take for them to accept or reject the application? I've read it could take up to 2 years and thats for family, so a few years think im looking at.

The reason i want to immigrate is because i love the country, i love the activities, the scenery. I wouldn't sit around and do nothing like alot of immigrates, as i have shown since having the same job since i was 17 which must give me brownie points.

Any help, tips, advice would be great and helpful.

Cheers Matt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 11:10 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
You are eligible for a one year working holiday visa, which can be obtained at a reasonable cost through an organization like BUNAC, so why not do that? That way you can stay there for a year, work, actually get to know the country beyond purdy pictures.

I would reckon if you can't afford a working holiday visa, can't make it there for a year either working or tolerating the country on that visa, then you will never make it as an immigrant and there will be no point then in going through the long costs and paperwork required to immigrate.

The thing to remember about NZ is that it is only 4 million people in the south pacific. It's one of the most isolated countries in the world. There is only a limited range of jobs and industries and for career growth many kiwis move overseas.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:20 PM

591 posts, read 926,334 times
Thank you, a very good idea. I have been working whilst educating since i was 17 so when i finish University i will be very capable of funding it all, until i got work ect.

It's somewhere i would love to settle down, not overly fussed about a huge job, big bucks ect. I want a simple and happy laugh in a marvelous place. For a country the same size as England it have 56million less people which is my ideal place, as i hate overcrowded places.

I will definately be giving that a look, thank you very much.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 25,229 times
If you want an English (or not so much anymore) feel but with a much better climate - try Christchurch. The rebuild after the devastating earthquakes is about to go full steam. The govt reckons 30,000 jobs will be created with the rebuild alone - take into account that extra population to boom here and you'll probably have a good chance of getting in as a skilled immigrant.

Christchurch suits alot of poms. The weather here is lovely. around 10-15 av winter temps - lots of sun too. Summers range from 20-27 easily reaching the 30's too. And it's dry here! Less rain then most of eastern coast Aus. Anywhere on the South Island (except the West Coast) is gorgeous and the people are a lot friendlier than in the North island!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:25 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginders View Post
If you want an English (or not so much anymore) feel but with a much better climate - try Christchurch. The rebuild after the devastating earthquakes is about to go full steam. The govt reckons 30,000 jobs will be created with the rebuild alone - take into account that extra population to boom here and you'll probably have a good chance of getting in as a skilled immigrant.

Christchurch suits alot of poms. The weather here is lovely. around 10-15 av winter temps - lots of sun too. Summers range from 20-27 easily reaching the 30's too. And it's dry here! Less rain then most of eastern coast Aus. Anywhere on the South Island (except the West Coast) is gorgeous and the people are a lot friendlier than in the North island!
How much snow does Christchurch get on average? I know you seemed to have gotten quite a bit this winter. I'm assuming most of the 30,000 jobs will be in construction and wonder what will happen to all those people once it has been rebuilt. Saw some recent footage.. heartbreaking.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,158 times
HI,

I am looking to immigrate to NZ. I am a structural Engineer. What salary is sufficient to comfortably live there with my wife and one kid. And which part is best for me to live?

Thanks.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,600,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginders View Post

Meet "ChesterNZ" on the weather forum. He absolutely hates Ch'ch's weather. The objective truth lies somewhere in between.

Mean annual sun = 2140 hours (1981-2010), rainfall about 650mm, mean temp about 12.2C.

The "gorgeous" requires amending for coastal climates too far south, and quite a chunk of Southland/Otago lowlands. Sunshine means at In'gill and Dunedin are NZ's lowest for towns, and mean annual temp at In'gill is barely 10.4C.

Hokitika, for example on the West Coast is much sunnier than these 2 - about the same sunshine as Timaru, and only a little cooler than Ch'ch. The sunniest climates in the country are at Nelson and Blenheim, somewhat ahead of Whakatane and comfortably ahead of Tauranga in the North Island.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarwal View Post
HI,

I am looking to immigrate to NZ. I am a structural Engineer. What salary is sufficient to comfortably live there with my wife and one kid. And which part is best for me to live?

Thanks.

Snow is rare, probably once every 4 or 5 years it settles, is usually a novelty.

The repair/rebuild will prob take 10 years+ as the scale of damage is huge. Some houses for example might have a pile or two gone or a cracked foundation, perfectly liveable and not obvious,a large job to repair to a good standard. Only yesterday another small suburb of 400 houses was deemed "red zoned" and residents will get payed out and have to find new homes.

Anyone moving just keep in mind house prices have shot up in areas of little damage and sell very fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarwal View Post
HI,

Thanks.

I would say NZ60K + Mortgage or rent and that cost depends on where you want to live. Structrual Engineers Christchurch or Auckland would prob be the best place to be.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
I thought it was interesting that the poster child for National's election win in 2008 has moved to Australia for better opportunities.
Girl Key took to Waitangi opts for Aussie - National - NZ Herald News

Quote from article:

"I don't see us catching up, we are going backwards while they are getting way ahead," she said.
"There's not many opportunities here."
In 2008, Prime Minister John Key famously took the then 12-year-old from McGehan Close, in the Auckland suburb of Mt Albert, to attend Waitangi commemorations with him.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:15 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
three words

marriage of convenience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand