Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 04:16 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times

Advertisements

It seems the poms want to play big boys games over skilled Aussies and Kiwis immigrating to the UK.

Fair enough their country, should we do the same to Brits who wish to immigrate to either Aus or NZ ?

UK law move kicks out Kiwis - National - NZ Herald News

Old 12-19-2011, 05:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
The UK does not follow NZ immigration laws.
NZ does not follow UK immigration laws.

Why play the tit-for-tat game? This only interests trolls who scour the net for news that show people from outside NZ in a poor light, making them feel better about their short comings.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
The UK does not follow NZ immigration laws.
NZ does not follow UK immigration laws.

Why play the tit-for-tat game? This only interests trolls who scour the net for news that show people from outside NZ in a poor light, making them feel better about their short comings.
I'm curious are you Australian born ?
Most Aussie natives would be rather pissed off at the price Aus paid to help the UK and then to be told sorry about that.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
It seems the poms want to play big boys games over skilled Aussies and Kiwis immigrating to the UK.

Fair enough their country, should we do the same to Brits who wish to immigrate to either Aus or NZ ?

Dont see why, the UK make their laws we make ours.

We need to get rid of the old right of passage mentality, which is dying a slow death anyway in my opinion.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I'm curious are you Australian born ?
Most Aussie natives would be rather pissed off at the price Aus paid to help the UK and then to be told sorry about that.
most Aussies don't have a chip on their shoulder about things that happened in world war 2 as they were not alive back then. I'm curious are you so old as to remember world war 2?

I don't hve a problem if NZ makes it harder for UK citizens to migrate, it would not be a big loss to the UK, except perhaps for POMs that are into sheep shagging.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Dont see why, the UK make their laws we make ours.

We need to get rid of the old right of passage mentality, which is dying a slow death anyway in my opinion.
I have no problem with dumping the so called right of passage as long as it is both ways.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:24 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
I have no problem with dumping the so called right of passage as long as it is both ways.
An explict policy favouring British immigrants over others has not existed in Australia since 1973. I dont beleive we do anything like ancestory visas in Australia either.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 12-20-2011 at 01:02 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Wasn't there a thread about a month ago that was pretty much the same except about Australia?

I don't mean to sound rude but again this is a case of something that overwhelmingly benefits NZ but has very little benefit to the UK. The UK has 500m people on their doorstep who are all entitled to live and work in the UK. Under those circumstances it's easy to see why they want to limit non-EU immigration.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:

I'm sure you can understand that public concerns about non-EU immigration into Britain and moves to cut the numbers down aren't made with Aussies and Kiwis in mind. As far as I'm aware it already is pretty tough for one of us with no family ties to either Aus or NZ to get in permanently and we don't get much or any special treatment either compared to other nationalities.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:46 PM

What people who are anti-immigration in NZ don't seem to understand is that the modern immigrant is different from the stereotype poor pheasant landless farmer.

To qualify to get into NZ you have to have skills that the country needs and enough financing to be self sufficient. So they come to NZ, rent flats/buy houses, cars, food, etc. etc while looking for work

Without skilled migration, businessess cannot grow, esp. since NZ is losing tens of thousands of its citizens to Oz.

I also find it amusing that everyone in NZ, from the Maoris on to the most recent arrival.. are all immigrants to NZ. So to be anti-immigration seems.. odd to me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand