Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:44 AM

201 posts, read 416,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matematik View Post
I don't understand it. Most Australians don't really like the Brits and xenophobically refer to them as "pommy bastards". The animosity towards Brits in Australia is plain as day. They're not popular.
No, you don't really understand Australian culture, it's a game. It can be seen as a sign of respect, that Australians think enough of the British that they're able to share laughs over insults with them.
But often it's simply a response to British snobbery, an attempt to bring them back down to earth.
Note that Americans are given similar treatment, nick named sepo, short for septic tank, rhymes with yank.
And New Zealanders, with frequent jokes about sheep bestiality.

Quote:
Interesting. In 1776 The Queen came to the US for our Bicentennial. She gave a speech in Philadelphia, and a segment of that speech is on display at Independence National Park. In a nutshell she explained that because the American colonists rebelled with force of arms, the UK tread much more lightly with Canada and Australia and other colonies at the time. In the speech she actually thanked the Americans for saving their other possesions. She explained that British colonies were given more autonomy after our rebellion, and certainly not treated with the harshness the American colonists dealt with. Food for thought.
This is interesting indeed, because there was an armed rebellion in 1854. The Eureka Stockade, Australian miners rebelled over excessive taxation and a lack of representation. They demanded the right to vote for all Australian males and the abolition of mining licenses.
They were defeated by the British army. But their popularity with the general population was great, they were regarded as heros and still are. They were put on trial for treason and sedition, but in a trial that has been called a farce, were acquitted much to the cheer of the public. The government changed the laws and granted the miners demands to avoid future rebellions, the event is considered the birth of Australian democracy.

When Mark Twain visited Australia, he had this to say about it.
"By and by there was a result, and I think it may be called the finest thing in Australasian history. It was a revolution — small in size; but great politically; it was a strike for liberty, a struggle for principle, a stand against injustice and oppression....It is another instance of a victory won by a lost battle. It adds an honorable page to history; the people know it and are proud of it. They keep green the memory of the men who fell at the Eureka stockade, and Peter Lalor has his monument." —Mark Twain

Last edited by Mornnb; 02-20-2012 at 03:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 01:43 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Quote:
I don't understand it. Most Australians don't really like the Brits and xenophobically refer to them as "pommy bastards". The animosity towards Brits in Australia is plain as day. They're not popular.
Meet Matematik everyone, 99% of his threads and posts are anti-British.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:49 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Why are Australians in such a hurry for everything to change? Is it really broken? Anyway with a British PM your flag probably won't change anytime soon, actually she may be planning to hand over control to the crown once again - all part of our plan, you see.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Why are Australians in such a hurry for everything to change? Is it really broken? Anyway with a British PM your flag probably won't change anytime soon, actually she may be planning to hand over control to the crown once again - all part of our plan, you see.
Ha Ha Tony Abbott the leader of the main oposition party also came hear under the assisted migration (10 pound Pom) scheme, except he's from London, you could be onto something.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-20-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-20-2012, 03:27 PM

91 posts, read 93,738 times
Australia was the "cream of the crop" of the British Empire. I am American and I don't really understand the Commonwealth system however. Why is Australia (Canada and other countries too) considered "independent" if the queen is still head of state? I think of Australia as an exotic exclave of the UK because most Australians are of British descent, dare I say ethnicity. Canada however in my opinion is much more American than British. But their loyalty to the Commonwealth is what sets them apart from the USA. Australians still have a British accent (unlike Americans/Canadians) because Australia was never really colonized until after the American Revolution. "Independence" happened in 1901 (coincidentally 100 years after the British fully conquered Ireland) but even though it was a long time ago culturally, 1901 is recent compared to 1776. The Industrial Revolution happened in between the two. America settled Texas and California during that time. Does the fashion from movies like Mary Poppins look anything like the fashion from Colonial times? Or does (US) Civil War fashion even look anything like the fashion from Colonial times?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:57 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
Quote:
Understood it was a term of endearment, i think Australia has more to worry about than "poms" there have been new migrants since them that were called vile names also 'ities" "slit eyes" wogs some Aussies are good at giving it out.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Meet Matematik everyone, 99% of his threads and posts are anti-British.
Thanks for the reminder i wonder where he originates from.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinberglowenstein View Post
Why is Australia (Canada and other countries too) considered "independent" if the queen is still head of state?
Firstly, unlike the US system the Head of State has no power to make law, the English civil war made sure of that. The Parliament is sovereign.

Secondly, she is the Queen of Australia seperately to her being the Queen of any of her othe realms, the UK included. The Queen of Australia's official title is

Quote:
I think of Australia as an exotic exclave of the UK because most Australians are of British descent, dare I say ethnicity.
That's not really true. While the British Isles is still reponsible for much of the population historically. Waves of immigration after WW2 mean the population is much homogenous than it once was.

Quote:
Australians still have a British accent (unlike Americans/Canadians) because Australia was never really colonized until after the American Revolution.
We most certainly do not.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
I don't think she'll be PM for long enough to put her plan into action.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:50 PM

201 posts, read 416,526 times
Quote:
The PM is a republican!
And Australians love to complain about the flaws in things, it tends to be a culture that has the attitude of 'there's a glass half empty, why can't we make it full?'.

Quote:
Australia was the "cream of the crop" of the British Empire. I am American and I don't really understand the Commonwealth system however. Why is Australia (Canada and other countries too) considered "independent" if the queen is still head of state?
Because the Queen's powers are exercised through the Governor General. In effect, the Head of State is the Governor General who acts on behalf of the Queen. The Queen might be the Head of State, but her powers are fully 'outsourced' to an Australian representative.

Quote:
I think of Australia as an exotic exclave of the UK because most Australians are of British descent, dare I say ethnicity. Canada however in my opinion is much more American than British. But their loyalty to the Commonwealth is what sets them apart from the USA. Australians still have a British accent (unlike Americans/Canadians) because Australia was never really colonized until after the American Revolution.
The Australian accent is not British! The cultivated accent might sound rather British, but it's quite obvious that even it is not British if you listen closely.
Also, most people aren't wildly interested in their ethnicity, most people just see themselves as Australians, part of a country that is a mix of all sorts of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand