Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:44 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times

Advertisements

I wanted to know if there was any neighborhoods in Sydney that have a sizable black population,or a noticeable black population?Also what is the percentage of blacks in Sydney?

Old 09-09-2007, 04:50 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Redfern traditionally has had a sizable Aboriginal population. My experience as an African-American traveling in Australia is that the black population isn't huge but I saw (non-Aboriginal) blacks in various parts of the city. I believe there's a small but growing African immigrant population in the western suburbs where historically many new immigrants to Sydney have gotten their start.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:56 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Sydney and the rest of Australia has a sizable number of Aboriginals and people from the Pacific islands like Fiji, Samoa and Papua New Guinea who to the naked eye, if they were walking down the street in the U.S. many Americans would assume to be African-American. IHowever, in terms of actual numbers of blacks, there are very few in Sydney; less than 1% of the population, the majority of which are recent immigrants from Sudan settling in the western suburbs (notably in the city of Auburn). Even in these neighborhoods with the highest concentration of immigrants, I don't believe there's any neighborhood where blacks make up over 5% of the population. They're very few in numbers at the moment but the population is indeed increasing although there's been some pressure from the people and various politicians to crack down on the number of asylum seekers and refugees accepted into Australia.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:49 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
Aboriginals aren't Negroid. They are Australoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Redfern traditionally has had a sizable Aboriginal population. My experience as an African-American traveling in Australia is that the black population isn't huge but I saw (non-Aboriginal) blacks in various parts of the city. I believe there's a small but growing African immigrant population in the western suburbs where historically many new immigrants to Sydney have gotten their start.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:59 PM

49 posts, read 380,524 times
I was wondering about that. When I was in Western Oz last year, I had made a comment about 'black' people (I don't remember in what context) and was told not to say it too loudly for fear of some nearby Aboriginals taking offense to hearing the term 'black' (even if not directly talking about them). I consider myself to be black (well, in PC terms African-American, but I hardly ever use the term), but don't want to be offensive. So, is it truly offensive to use the term 'black' and is that really how most Aboriginals are described in everyday language??

Old 12-18-2007, 02:02 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Aboriginals aren't Negroid. They are Australoid.
"Black" does not necessarily mean "Negroid" just like "Caucasian" does not necessarily mean "White".

Apparently this guy considers himself to be black.

Kevin Gilbert

Last edited by yayoi; 12-18-2007 at 02:15 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 PM

Caucasian and white are the same. People who don't understand that are ignorant of anthropology. They refer to the same geographical race. European physical anthropologists used Europid and American Caucasoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
"Black" does not necessarily mean "Negroid" just like "Caucasian" does not necessarily mean "White".

Apparently this guy considers himself to be black.

http://www.nga.gov.au/Retake/artists/00000004.htm

Old 12-18-2007, 02:21 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Quote:
Caucasian and white are the same. People who don't understand that are ignorant of anthropology. They refer to the same geographical race. European physical anthropologists used Europid and American Caucasoid.
Which Anthropologists are you talking about?

Old 12-18-2007, 03:05 PM

Stanley M. Garn, Carleton Coon, R. Biasutti, H. J. Fleure, Julian Huxley, VV Bunak, and many more. Caucasian is an outdated term though which the US census bureau define as people from Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. The term is not used in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Which Anthropologists are you talking about?

Old 12-18-2007, 03:21 PM

49 posts, read 380,524 times
Quote:
Stanley M. Garn, Carleton Coon, R. Biasutti, H. J. Fleure, Julian Huxley, VV Bunak, and many more. Caucasian is an outdated term though which the US census bureau define as people from Europe, North Africa and the Middle East. The term is not used in Europe.
Yep. He's correct. Just read it on Wikipedia . (I'm such a geek )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand