Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM

2,943 posts, read 4,140,902 times

Advertisements

i think i've noticed a few folks from Brisbane on here and just looking for some advice . . . I'm about 8 weeks out from my landing there. I'm headed to UQ for a masters program so I'll be there for ~20 months total. (I was originally looking at UNSW but UQ is a much better fit)

What has we most nervous is the housing situation because there's so little I can do from here. I'll be headed over with the wife and little one. We're prepared to spend up to $400/week on housing. A 3 bedroom would be ideal but not necessary and we could easily settle for a 2 bedroom.

We'll be landing there without a car so proximity to shops is important. Proximity to the campus in St. Lucia would be a bonus as I'd much rather ride a bicycle to school than have to buy a ferry or bus pass every month. I've been told that West End is where we need to be. Will that tick all the boxes?

Are short-term leases at all common? I'm wary of trying to lease something site unseen for the long-term but I also don't want to pay hotel rates for a month while we try to find a place.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,699,134 times
UNSW is a great institution, but the majority of the student body is Asian (like most of Sydney, which has a strong Asian influence). You will definitely get a more genuinely 'Australian' experience in Brisbane.

Maybe someone else can chip in with the other advice

Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,150,245 times
$400 a week for a 3 bedroom is defo asking too much in that part, one of the more expensive parts of Brissie. I think you should find something, though. Somewhere near the uni and near the train line would be ideal. I think you'll like Brissie, has a nice sub-tropical feel, the U of Queensland Campus is great, by the river.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,519,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
i think i've noticed a few folks from Brisbane on here and just looking for some advice . . . I'm about 8 weeks out from my landing there. I'm headed to UQ for a masters program so I'll be there for ~20 months total. (I was originally looking at UNSW but UQ is a much better fit)

What has we most nervous is the housing situation because there's so little I can do from here. I'll be headed over with the wife and little one. We're prepared to spend up to $400/week on housing. A 3 bedroom would be ideal but not necessary and we could easily settle for a 2 bedroom.

We'll be landing there without a car so proximity to shops is important. Proximity to the campus in St. Lucia would be a bonus as I'd much rather ride a bicycle to school than have to buy a ferry or bus pass every month. I've been told that West End is where we need to be. Will that tick all the boxes?

Are short-term leases at all common? I'm wary of trying to lease something site unseen for the long-term but I also don't want to pay hotel rates for a month while we try to find a place.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sorry Mate I will have to be Quick (at Work)

Toowong or indooroopilly would be you ideal places, they are however pretty expensivse , I dont really know what you would get in West End end for $400 a week.

You could try other Suburbs south of the river, Yeronga, Greenslopes, Wooloongabba, Coorparooo, Holland Park, Fairfield etc. which are a bit cheaper, and have direct cycle paths to the UQ

I live in Holland Park which is the most distant of these suburbs from St Lucia, and can still ride to the UQ in about 20-30 minutes, im not a patriculary good rider or anything, most of the trip is along designated cycle pathways.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the quick replies everyone -

Tropical - the decision to go with UQ came down to a number of factors relating to the program I'm in and its accreditation back here in the States . . . although the job opportunities appear to be much better in VIC than in all of the US so hopefully I can make something of it one way or the other.

Trimac - I can see that $400 won't get me much but I have found a few promising places (mostly 2 bedrooms) online so I do hold out hope. We don't live in a trendy neighborhood now so it's not really a priority for us - just easy access to groceries & such and relatively close to the school.

Danielsa - I will start looking into those suburbs. We both used to ride 15/20 minutes to work each way although my new job is more like 5 minutes but I don't mind the exercise so if 30 minutes is as far as it gets I can certainly live with that. I'm looking forward to year-round cycling weather. I don't ride too much here in Jan/Feb. If it's not cold and windy it's raining.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:21 PM

So what does the "brain" think about Coorparoo. I'm looking at a place that's near the intersection of Cavendish/Old Cleveland. Seems like an easy/quick commute to UQ down the busway, no? Maybe a 25 minute bike ride?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand