Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 9,452 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, and thank you in advance for reviewing my post. I'm brand new to this forum, and signed up for the best guidance the forum members can grant me.

I'm a young American adult (Cherokee Indian and Jamaican ethnicity) who would like to attend school in Sydney as well as get a feel of a new living environment. I never traveled anywhere out of NYC minus Virginia and let alone out of the country minus Jamaica. I look forward to this experience, even just to consider living there permanently.

I do, in fact have a few questions answered, if anyone can help. I'd truly appreciate it.

I've done a bit of research (a bit depressing and exhausting if you ask me). I don't have the proper funds to just up and leave like I would like to, trying to take any outlet to get myself feeling better somewhere else.

1. I'm not employed and now our country expects people to either have a minimum of a College degree (which I don't possess) to receive employment, and even many employers today prefer their potential employees to already have income to be considered for a job.

My question, if I have some experience (let's say Computers - Graphic | Web Design & Development) and me thinking of going to school for that, would this be a good start to a potential employer in Sydney?

2. What are the estimation of expenses on living in Sydney alone (ie: Housing, Food, Transportation, Healthcare, etc)?

3. What are the steps to proceeding with the immigration process that I should be aware of? (Aside from Health Exam for proof that I wouldn't be carrying any illnesses and diseases, or become a burden to the Australian people).

4. I'm thinking of being accompanied by my mom and one of my younger siblings.

My question, are there any particular programs or funding support for single parents (especially mothers)?

5. How would I be able to receive sponsorship or financial assistance to help me get myself on my feet if I am able to arrive, and what steps would I need to accomplish?

6. What online resources can assist me in developing relationships for touring, and just someone willing to be of a guidance for a new member into Sydney?

I cannot think of many questions at this present time, but if I happen to come up with more, I'll certainly post them here.

Thanks again for reading, hope to get some responses soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Please google Australia immigration and first see if you qualify.

I doubt if Australia will work for you, nobody looks to move to a country expecting support. Even the US expects immigrants to be able to fend for themselves, why shouldn't Oz?

You can apply for a student visa and see if you can get a student loan from the US (I know an American guy that had a US loan as Uni Adelaide was a recognized university) and see if you can stay afterwards. But your Mom will most likely have to stay in the US until you are financially solvent to sponsor her.

There are PLENTY of threads on cost of living in Australia.. do an Advanced Search.

Do you know how many Junior Members come here asking the same questions ad infinitum? People get tired of giving the same advice ad infinitum (no offence)

Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,452 times
Default So much to take in still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Please google Australia immigration and first see if you qualify.

I doubt if Australia will work for you, nobody looks to move to a country expecting support. Even the US expects immigrants to be able to fend for themselves, why shouldn't Oz?

You can apply for a student visa and see if you can get a student loan from the US (I know an American guy that had a US loan as Uni Adelaide was a recognized university) and see if you can stay afterwards. But your Mom will most likely have to stay in the US until you are financially solvent to sponsor her.

There are PLENTY of threads on cost of living in Australia.. do an Advanced Search.

Do you know how many Junior Members come here asking the same questions ad infinitum? People get tired of giving the same advice ad infinitum (no offence)

At the offense, none taken. I'll consider the Advance Search, it's just so much information for different case by case situations.

Anyways, I spoken with a study abroad rep, and they did state I would have to take out a loan from US (still deciding on that major expense tip). So my mom would have to await for me to sponsor her? Can she just apply for herself? I heard about the student dependency (I don't think that would happen in my situation).

If I do attend school in Sydney, and complete the full degree (3-4 years) I can be granted the opportunity to stay and apply for citizenship after graduation, correct?

Of course I feel that everyone should fend for themselves, I was only speaking in terms of not full support, maybe a bit of help where see fit.

Thanks for your response, even the bit of info you've given me would help me along. I've been looking up information for a few months now, and I just feel I'm going in complete circles, so I figure reaching out and trying forums would give me a bit of clarity. It is overwhelming when doing this alone and minimal life experience. But, thank you so much.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamonB
or become a burden to the Australian people
Don't expect this...

Quote:
How would I be able to receive sponsorship or financial assistance to help me get myself on my feet if I am able to arrive, and what steps would I need to accomplish?
Quote:
My question, are there any particular programs or funding support for single parents (especially mothers)?
You can't really expect to move to a new country (with absolutely zero experience) and have taxpayers foot the bill for you and your family while you study.

Unfortunately, I'd say your chances are slim to non-existent. Unless you have some skill or a university education, your chances of getting a visa are very low indeed.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 PM

completing a degree in the Oz does not guaranty you the right to apply for citizenship, its the same in the US
What I meant by stay afterwards is see if you have enough points to apply for PR with a. australian degree or find a company to sponsor you while you are in Oz.

Since you don't have the money, you should consider Sydney is expensive... This will make it more difficult for you

Last edited by minibrings; 03-05-2013 at 08:54 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 03:02 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,041 times
Hello-I just recently moved to Australia a month ago myself, and my advice to the OP is to contact an immigration agent. I contacted a good one, and he had me fill out a detailed questionnaire, and then the agent can decide what options would work for you. It didn't cost me anything to fill out the questionnaire or for him to analyze it. Immigrating to Oz is NOT an easy process, and it's best to get a professional to help you. You can Google the names of some good agents to help. I really recommend using one, as it's pretty complex to move to Oz. they can answer your questions and give advice.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
Don't you just love people who want to go to another country and have their taxpayers support them

Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
To answer some of your questions Cinnabun:

I've done a bit of research (a bit depressing and exhausting if you ask me). I don't have the proper funds to just up and leave like I would like to, trying to take any outlet to get myself feeling better somewhere else.

Australia is one of the most expensive countries in the world, so not a good place to go if you don't have some money saved.

1. I'm not employed and now our country expects people to either have a minimum of a College degree (which I don't possess) to receive employment, and even many employers today prefer their potential employees to already have income to be considered for a job.

Living in obamaville with no job growth for 4 years and hence no growth in wages, means that employers that do offer jobs tend to have a large choice of candidates.

To move to Australia though you are in the same shoes. Australia, for the most part, doesn't give out work or PR visas to those with no skills and employers there are not going to go through paperwork to grant a visa to an unskilled person. Realistically you probably need a 4 year degree and about 5 years of worthwhile experience in a skilled profession to even be considered to move to Australia and even then that might not be enough.

3. What are the steps to proceeding with the immigration process that I should be aware of? (Aside from Health Exam for proof that I wouldn't be carrying any illnesses and diseases, or become a burden to the Australian people).

Read the Dept. of Immigration website. It has all the details.

4. I'm thinking of being accompanied by my mom and one of my younger siblings.

Isn't gonna happen.

5. How would I be able to receive sponsorship or financial assistance to help me get myself on my feet if I am able to arrive, and what steps would I need to accomplish?

There is none.

Sounds like you are looking for another welfare state to move to.

If you are below 30 years old, you can apply for a 1 year work and holiday visa. For the visa, insurance and plane ticket it's about $2500 and you need a few thousand bucks in a bank account. It allows you to work in Australia for a year and then you have to go home.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Don't you just love people who want to go to another country and have their taxpayers support them
Yes, it's funny how some have those expectations government is a big endless money tree that just hands it out for whatever your whims and desires are. To my knowledge, Australia doesn't have much of an immigration program that lets unskilled, uneducated people in, bringing their families with them and the government will fund all of their life's necessities. Maybe she can qualify as a "refugee" from obamaville.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hello-I just recently moved to Australia a month ago myself, and my advice to the OP is to contact an immigration agent. I contacted a good one, and he had me fill out a detailed questionnaire, and then the agent can decide what options would work for you. It didn't cost me anything to fill out the questionnaire or for him to analyze it. Immigrating to Oz is NOT an easy process, and it's best to get a professional to help you. You can Google the names of some good agents to help. I really recommend using one, as it's pretty complex to move to Oz. they can answer your questions and give advice.
Was their charge for their services in the range of $3,500?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand