Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 08:22 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
It's not about rewriting history it's about making history, if you were Australian you would understand that.
I am not sure the hunk of land I am born of would alter Australia's actual history.

Having said that Australia is changing like all countries, but its not as far from the British roots as some like to think it is here.

I might get knighted for these posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 09:39 PM

301 posts, read 521,150 times
I think Australian people are more quiet and reserved than British people.
Britain makes so many of the best music, movies, tv, sport, celebrities etc and I just don't see the same creativity or outgoing openness in Australia as there is in Britain.
Britain's global popular modern culture is impressive and original and the people there are very sociable and outgoing.
Britain is a more cosmopolitan, modern and liberal country than Australia and this is evident in the politics, society and culture

Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
I am not sure the hunk of land I am born of would alter Australia's actual history.

Having said that Australia is changing like all countries, but its not as far from the British roots as some like to think it is here.

I might get knighted for these posts
It's funny how you always point out aspects of the "British heritage" that Aussies find stale, archaic and most of all, totally foreign.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
It's funny how you always point out aspects of the "British heritage" that Aussies find stale, archaic and most of all, totally foreign.
I know you want to believe its in the distant past, but we are talking 1974, you likely know Aussies personally that sang this very anthem, probably your parents, of course its stale listen to it drone on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eelmwIFAjA

Old 04-05-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I know you want to believe its in the distant past, but we are talking 1974, you likely know Aussies personally that sang this very anthem, probably your parents, of course its stale listen to it drone on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eelmwIFAjA
And even in 1974 it was stale enough, archaic enough, and foreign enough for conservative 60 and 70 year old politicians to want to get rid of it.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
And even in 1974 it was stale enough, archaic enough, and foreign enough for conservative 60 and 70 year old politicians to want to get rid of it.

I don't disagree, but that view does not change history. I believe the power to change the anthem was there many decades prior but Australia chose to keep it that long. Clearly "the empire" influences have faded over time, but its not as far back as your try to suggest.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I don't disagree, but that view does not change history. I believe the power to change the anthem was there many decades prior but Australia chose to keep it that long. Clearly "the empire" influences have faded over time, but its not as far back as your try to suggest.
Sometimes you have to wait for conservative 60 and 70 year old politicians to divert their focus from wars, both "hot" and "cold", economic meltdowns and regional political chaos, before purely symbolic issues can be addressed.

The move to federation in the late 1800s is widely regarded as the marker of when the British empire was no longer seen as central, or critical to Australia. In essence, in choosing to form a new, federal nation, the to-be states acknowledged that their existence and security as British dominions was unsustainable, and at best uncertain and fragile.

During the conscription debates of WWI, one of the arguments of those against conscription was that WWI was not a conflict that Australia should have had any involvement in; that it was a war for foreign nations to fight. I think that indicates that the influence of the British empire was on the slide very early on in Australia's history.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:49 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Yes, the common language makes the differences more apparent. It's a mix of being able to really understand the media, plus misunderstandings caused by using words that should mean the same thing but don't.

The key difference between the three countries is community vs the individual. The UK and Australia value the community, the US is all about the individual.
I completely agree, and this is something I don't like about the U.S. I've lived in Europe (born and raised in the U.S.) and while there were many things I enjoyed about Europe, I've always thought Australia would be the perfect blend of European and North American for me. I love Canada, but it's too damn cold!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:02 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Yes it is a weird thread, it's also kind of insulting as it denies the fact that Australia has its own identity, culture and spirit of place. Every time I meet someone from the US or UK I'm keenly aware they're from foreign countries. And the reality is that in many ways the UK and US have more in common with each other than either do with Australia.
My assumption was that Australia definitely has it's own culture, but physically developed in a similar way to the U.S. due to it being a "young" country, as is the U.S. I've been to the UK many times and loved it, but it's obviously a much, much older country and is much more "compact" in the way things are laid out. The only part of the U.S. that's remotely similar to the UK would be in New England, cities like Boston.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:10 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
Doesn't every country/region has its own "flavor"? We all like different things and what's great about one place to one person, can be hell to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand