Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 07:13 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times

Advertisements

Yes the US is the most individualistic nation on earth...to the point of heartlessness...although more American influenced than the UK Australia still has that communality I feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes the US is the most individualistic nation on earth...to the point of heartlessness...although more American influenced than the UK Australia still has that communality I feel.
Merica

Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
On Earth? Really.... I don't agree and I don't see how one could make such a sweeping statement.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:03 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
My assumption was that Australia definitely has it's own culture, but physically developed in a similar way to the U.S. due to it being a "young" country, as is the U.S. I've been to the UK many times and loved it, but it's obviously a much, much older country and is much more "compact" in the way things are laid out. The only part of the U.S. that's remotely similar to the UK would be in New England, cities like Boston.
In terms of the similarities between the US and UK that differentiate them from Australia, I was thinking about the impacts and influences of historical events.

For example, both the UK and US have fought civil wars, that have impacted their respective psyches. Both countries have at times experienced forms of government that subsequently lead them to articulate a Bill of Rights; the UK in 1698, and the US in 1789. Both those phenomena are quite foreign to Australia.

In term of global roles that have influenced how countries act and relate to others, the US is a world power, while the UK once was (and wishes/pretends it still is? ). Australia has never been anything other than small-medium power with expectations that match that.

The UK was once a major centre of the slave economy, while the American south was very much a part of it. That’s another experience that’s largely foreign to Australia.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:01 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
On Earth? Really.... I don't agree and I don't see how one could make such a sweeping statement.
Albeit I just visited but it's just the impression I get, and just hearing about American politics, like people cheering when Ron Paul talks about people who can't afford medical care dying, and what I've read here. Hae you been to the States?

Old 04-09-2014, 03:30 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,900 times
Quote:
Albeit I just visited but it's just the impression I get, and just hearing about American politics, like people cheering when Ron Paul talks about people who can't afford medical care dying, and what I've read here. Hae you been to the States?
Do you ever listen to commentators like Andrew Bolt here?

Old 04-09-2014, 12:55 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Not all of us are like that, but yes, it's unfortunately a big part of the culture. The "I've got mine, now *********" culture. The conservatives here seem to want to do away with most, if not all, social programs. While the U.S. progesses in some areas, I think the widening divide between the super rich and the poor, and erosion of the middle class, will cause the country to become quite unappealing in the future.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:13 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
In terms of the similarities between the US and UK that differentiate them from Australia, I was thinking about the impacts and influences of historical events.

For example, both the UK and US have fought civil wars, that have impacted their respective psyches. Both countries have at times experienced forms of government that subsequently lead them to articulate a Bill of Rights; the UK in 1698, and the US in 1789. Both those phenomena are quite foreign to Australia.

In term of global roles that have influenced how countries act and relate to others, the US is a world power, while the UK once was (and wishes/pretends it still is? ). Australia has never been anything other than small-medium power with expectations that match that.

The UK was once a major centre of the slave economy, while the American south was very much a part of it. That’s another experience that’s largely foreign to Australia.
Yes, in these aspects, the U.S. and Australia are quite different. I was thinking more about how the two countries look in their development - housing, shopping, street configureations, etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:42 PM

121 posts, read 110,716 times
Quote:
I think that you're living in the mid 90s with this. I don't feel that there's communality at all in Australia today like there was 20 years ago. There's probably more of it where I grew up in NY. The baby boomers have destroyed this country like a pack of locusts and everyone has an "I'm alright, Jack" attitude. I spend a lot of time in both countries and there's no doubt that Aus is the worse one now.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:46 PM

121 posts, read 110,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
I think Australian people are more quiet and reserved than British people.
Britain makes so many of the best music, movies, tv, sport, celebrities etc and I just don't see the same creativity or outgoing openness in Australia as there is in Britain.
Britain's global popular modern culture is impressive and original and the people there are very sociable and outgoing.
Britain is a more cosmopolitan, modern and liberal country than Australia and this is evident in the politics, society and culture
I have to disagree with everything in this post, from your compliments to your British self-congratulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand