Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:16 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

On one hand you have those who are always on about 'Aussie this, Aussie that', the 'Australian way, Australian values', and the rest of the world be buggered, and those are others that don't seem to have much of an identity as Australians or care about Australian identity. Perhaps this is because we're an immigrant nation without a well-developed sense of identity.

I used to think we were more patriotic than most, but partly because of our emerging identity and perhaps lack of a unique culture (notwithstanding the indigenous cultures) Australia can feel like a recepticle for immigrants more than a place with a developed culture and history, where people have a long and proud heritage. Much of our heritage is really British, Irish.etc, but also Italian, Chinese.etc.

Thought it'd be interesting to discuss patriotism in this country. We might fly the flag on Australia day and get teary-eyed on Anzac Day, but I think some of our pride is a natural consequence of our isolation more than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 02:02 AM

200 posts, read 354,158 times
Patriotism, to me, is a love of one's country. I think most Aussies are patriotic, just not overtly Patriotic e.g. don't fly flag out front of house, babble on about what a great nation Australia is etc etc. (However, I have noticed a HUGE increase in Southern Cross tattoos, lol).

Australian identity to me is quite complex because of Australia's age, mix of cultures etc.

I personally love Australia's evolving, diverse culture.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:39 AM

794 posts, read 1,409,382 times
Australian patriotism is just the calm knowledge that we're the lucky country. You'd look like an arse jumping around big dealing yourself talking about how great we are. No need to rub it in the faces of the rest of the world.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Australian patriotism is just the calm knowledge that we're the lucky country. You'd look like an arse jumping around big dealing yourself talking about how great we are. No need to rub it in the faces of the rest of the world.
Except when it comes to sports.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:01 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Very good question.
Living in a farily Anglo area of NSW, I would say patriotism is fairly high, but not over the top.
Unfortunately most tend to use events like Australia Day or ANZAC Day as an excuse to drink grog and/or have a booze up, particularly in the less educated groups.
The issue of the flag is also quite contentious - particularly as it also sparks the Monarchists vs Republican debate. Many Republicans such as myself believe that until the flag is changed we lack a unique identitiy, and this negates patriotism.
Sports are a bit different, and I will never forget Australia winning the America's Cup Yacht Race in 1983, with the Boxing Kangaroo flying and Bob Hawke stating that "'anyone that sacks someone for not turnining up to work today is a muug!""

Old 05-19-2013, 05:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The true patriotism of a country is inversely proportional to how often it is found necessary to publicly play the national anthem. Patriotic music plays almost constantly in public places in North Korea, but that does not make them the most patriotic people in the world.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The issue of the flag is also quite contentious - particularly as it also sparks the Monarchists vs Republican debate. Many Republicans such as myself believe that until the flag is changed we lack a unique identitiy, and this negates patriotism.
""
To me the Flag is simply historical, shows where early Australian's largely came from, its not pro or anti Monarchist, its not like the British monarchy rule any country theses days including Britain. Probably wouldn't hurt to have some Aboriginal representation on the flag if it is ever changed.

Surprisingly there are quite a few people that fly the Aus flag on their house here in Brisbane, even a few that fly their favorite sports team, you know that funny Aus game with extra goal posts as the players suck at kicking and don't want to get hurt in scrums.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 AM

598 posts, read 955,987 times
They should replace the union jack with the Aboriginal flag, it has over 40,000 years of history so the flag sure won't be lacking any history when we change it!.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
On one hand you have those who are always on about 'Aussie this, Aussie that', the 'Australian way, Australian values', and the rest of the world be buggered, and those are others that don't seem to have much of an identity as Australians or care about Australian identity. Perhaps this is because we're an immigrant nation without a well-developed sense of identity.

I used to think we were more patriotic than most, but partly because of our emerging identity and perhaps lack of a unique culture (notwithstanding the indigenous cultures) Australia can feel like a recepticle for immigrants more than a place with a developed culture and history, where people have a long and proud heritage. Much of our heritage is really British, Irish.etc, but also Italian, Chinese.etc.

Thought it'd be interesting to discuss patriotism in this country. We might fly the flag on Australia day and get teary-eyed on Anzac Day, but I think some of our pride is a natural consequence of our isolation more than anything.
Talking of Australian ""values"" - reminds me of what are not Australian values - to coin a popularised expression by John Howard ""Un-Australian"" is the opposite.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:36 AM

145 posts, read 260,084 times
I was born in England , raised in Australia and I feel no patriotism for either country? I don't get patriotism. I don't get how folk get attached to dirt, dirt they don't even own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand