Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times

Advertisements

Indonesia has frozen military co-operation with Australia amid claims its neighbour tried to eavesdrop on the mobile phone conversations of top Indonesian officials.

The announcement by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono marks the lowest point in relations between the pair in 14 years.

It follows increasingly tense exchanges between the countries since Tony Abbott became Australian Prime Minister in September.

Australian officials have yet to comment.

"It's clear that this is a logical step Indonesia must take," said Mr Yudhoyono.Indonesia Halts Relations With Australia

Do you have confidence in the Australian Government to handle this situation wisely or not?

For those really considering going to Bali, would you postpone plans to go there now?

Last edited by other99; 11-21-2013 at 03:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM

769 posts, read 1,007,197 times
Maybe it's just me, but I kind of find a lot of these "spying" stories that have emerged in the recent months from around the world to be sort of funny and largely hypocritical in a way. I mean, c'mon let's be real, all (at least major) countries have at least some sort of spying going on amongst their "allies", their "enemies", and probably internally too against their own citizens to a certain degree. In my opinion, I think that believing otherwise can be slightly naive at times. Now, I'm not saying whether it is right or wrong, and we can sit here and bicker back and forth all day, but the truth of the matter is that this is reality. I think that the Australian government (I am not Australian however, so Aussies please feel free to give your opinions and correct me) will handle the situation as best as it can and that in time it'll blow over. I would HIGHLY doubt that the Indonesian government doesn't do some form of spying itself on Australia too. It's like the pot calling the kettle black.

Well that's my opinion anyways, for what it's worth.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:40 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Of course spying has been around forever, it is how countries get information it has helped in finding out about terrorist cells and planned attacks, trade and more.
The present Indonesian Government are using the situation to gain points before next years election.
It will be interesting to what Abbott does, he probably will end up apologizing as he has his own agenda with his "turn back the boats" policy he needs the Indonesians to fulfill that election promise.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:27 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Of course spying has been around forever, it is how countries get information it has helped in finding out about terrorist cells and planned attacks, trade and more.
The present Indonesian Government are using the situation to gain points before next years election.
It will be interesting to what Abbott does, he probably will end up apologizing as he has his own agenda with his "turn back the boats" policy he needs the Indonesians to fulfill that election promise.
Bingo, this is nothing more than domestic politics being played out on the international stage.

Should we be more outraged that they spied on Australia back in 2004?

Old 11-24-2013, 07:08 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,660 times
The outrage appears to be a bit confected really. Part domestic politics and part trying to outmanoeuvre Australia in the moral high ground stakes, provides a few chips to the table in any talks with the new government.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:25 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
I am no fan of Tony Abbott, but their cartoon on their front papers was childish and out of line. + SBY tweeting his commentary...please. Mark Textor was right, who in the hell creates dialogue with another leader via twitter?

Old 11-24-2013, 05:33 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I kind of find a lot of these "spying" stories that have emerged in the recent months from around the world to be sort of funny and largely hypocritical in a way. I mean, c'mon let's be real, all (at least major) countries have at least some sort of spying going on amongst their "allies", their "enemies", and probably internally too against their own citizens to a certain degree..
Ok its time to come clean.

These regional listening facilities (spying) are incredibly top secret, so secret I am only allowed to post this wiki link in certain forums!

ECHELON - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I request you guys do not pass on this link to the Indonesian government, it will provide them with the evidence.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:03 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
I don't see what info. Could gained by tapping the phone of the wife of President.
By the way where is Julie Bishop shouldn't she be dealing with this?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,180 times
Default should australianinvades indonesian

Yess

Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,740 times
It's just boys comparing the size of their tools behind the tennis shed, and no doubt Australia has the smallest, it always has had the smallest, never has had the intestinal fortitude to stand up to anyone else. We have always been a soft touch to off shore interests, money takes precedence over all else, and most of it goes off shore.

Indonesia is now talking about stopping the beef trade and getting beef from India or Mexico or wherever - let 'em go for it, blind Freddy knows the quality of our beef as compared to many other countries, although I have to say, that quality would be considerably downgraded once it gets into their hands prior to slaughtering, we should be sending them road kill instead, it would be cheaper for them - and us - the meat would be of similar quality.

A refugee boat sinks a stones throw from the Indonesian coastline - - - and WE are responsible??? WHAT THE...???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand