Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,695 times

Advertisements

OK 26 January has a lot going for it: it does mark a significant historic event, its in summer , and it neatly bookends the Christmas – New Year break for many. But there is a flip side: arguably modern Australia really came into existence with federation on 1 January 1901, indigenous Australians don’t see many reason to celebrate the arrival of the first fleet, and ANZAC day seems to have a deeper, more reflectful meaning for most.

So is it the best day to celebrate Australia? Perhaps it's a good counterpoint to the more sombre and reflective ANZAC day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 02:32 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
O, and ANZAC day seems to have a deeper, more reflectful meaning for most.

Could have fooled the HELL out of me. Aus QLD channel 7 last ANZAC day managed to go through an ENTIRE hour of news around the ANZAC remembrance without mentioning the words New Zealand or Kiwi once and I mean even once, it was so obvious I seriously laughed.

Seems Australia New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) remembrance should be renamed the "A" day remembrance and what ever else Rupert Murdock wants or what is currently popular with the Aus public

Australia history is being re-written as time goes on.

/end rant

Old 01-24-2014, 03:03 AM

598 posts, read 955,987 times
We should re-write more history and change Australia Day to the day we become a Republic , but seriously that would be MAKING history not re-writing it, and that's a good thing.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:19 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
We should re-write more history and change Australia Day to the day we become a Republic , but seriously that would be MAKING history not re-writing it, and that's a good thing.
hehe at least your honest about it :P

Old 01-24-2014, 02:20 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Could have fooled the HELL out of me. Aus QLD channel 7 last ANZAC day managed to go through an ENTIRE hour of news around the ANZAC remembrance without mentioning the words New Zealand or Kiwi once and I mean even once, it was so obvious I seriously laughed.

Seems Australia New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) remembrance should be renamed the "A" day remembrance and what ever else Rupert Murdock wants or what is currently popular with the Aus public

Australia history is being re-written as time goes on.

/end rant
OMG. Years back when i lived in Oz i noticed something similar.. And i hugged a kiwi neighbor and told her sorry you're invisible to the media.

For me australia day is the start of beer, chips and burger special at my local pub.. Followed by more beer and fireworks on the banks of the Torrens as we sang a song about being girt by sea.. Id throw in a e ihoa atua just to annoy my mates.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:14 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Apparently the Skyworks in Perth is the biggest Aus day fireworks display/celebration in the nation. Up to half a million people (that's more than a quarter of our entire population) often turn up to watch it.

Yeah on one hand 26 Jan marks the 'invasion', but without the invasion there'd be no Federation would there? Plus Federation occured on New Year's Day 1901, which is already a holiday, so whether you agree with it or not I think 26 Jan is a good date to keep the holiday.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:40 AM

18 posts, read 43,177 times
Just ask yourself the question, which day is more -significant-? It's obviously ANZAC Day. ANZAC Day for us is like Independence Day and Veterans Day put together for the Yanks; it's got the nation-making significance of the first and the latter's sombre remembrance of lost heroes. Australia Day doesn't mean much to anyone other than a chance for a few beers. The date itself is important, but the day-as-celebrated doesn't mean much. At least by my lights.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
I don't think making the day that we unsuccessfully tried to invade turkey is such a great day to be celebrating our national identity either.

Keep it a January 26 until we become a republic.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-25-2014 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I don't think making the day that we unsuccessfully tried to invade turkey is such a great day to be celebrating our national identity either.

Keep it a January 26 until we become a republic.
Well, no, we already have ANZAC day, I'm not sure anyone is proposing also celebrating Australia day on that day, it would make no sense...it's already a holiday. Like I said Federation is the 1st of January, NYD, another public holiday, so 26 Jan makes the most sense. Even if they were against it I don't think anyone would vote for the idea of getting rid of a public holiday.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:43 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaidean View Post
Just ask yourself the question, which day is more -significant-? It's obviously ANZAC Day. ANZAC Day for us is like Independence Day and Veterans Day put together for the Yanks; it's got the nation-making significance of the first and the latter's sombre remembrance of lost heroes. Australia Day doesn't mean much to anyone other than a chance for a few beers. The date itself is important, but the day-as-celebrated doesn't mean much. At least by my lights.
It's a day of remembrance. I don't buy into all that claptrap about it being when a nation was born. It's an invention of modern times that basically whitewashes the huge contribution to nation building that men like Parkes, Griffith, Clark, Deakin et al made, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of colonials who saw themselves as "Australian" and wanted to build a united country. That's nation building, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand