Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 PM

2,504 posts, read 3,379,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Yes, but how is the lamb cooked?

That's something sydney lacks. Good Gyro.
Here is a wikipedia quote

"Several people claim to have brought gyros to Chicago and been the first to mass-produce them. George Apostolou claims he served the first gyros at the Parkview Restaurant in 1965. In 1974, he opened a 3,000-square-foot (280 m2) manufacturing plant called Central Gyros Wholesale. Peter Parthenis claims he mass-produced them at Gyros Inc., in 1973, a year before Apostolou.[7] In 1968, at The Parthenon restaurant, Chris Liakouras developed an early version of the modern vertical rotisserie gyros cooker, and popularized gyros by passing out samples free to customers.[11] The vertical broiler was later refined by Tom Pappas and others at Gyros incorporated. Pappas would go on to develop the modern commercial recipe for gyros in the United States, achieving success as an independent manufacturer of gyros in Florida during the early 1980s, and popularizing it in the southeastern US (Orlando Sentinel, 1981). They have since spread to all parts of the country, but the gyro is still identified as part of Chicago's working class cuisine."

Virtually all gyros in the states are manufactured in Chicago or by companies with Greek-Chicago roots and each company has their own recipe. In the Chicago area, you can buy frozen pre-sliced gyro meat and make your own sandwich at home. The spices in the meat can include garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, cumin, marjoram and pepper. It should be noted that gyros is often made with a combo of beef and lamb.

To give you an idea of how embedded gyros are in Chicago culture/cuisine, here is a poster someone made combining dozens of Gyros advertisements around Chicago.

http://www.interestingideas.com/road...yrosposter.jpg

Almost 400 gyros signs/images were collected as part of the Chicago Gyros Project...so yes. at least 10,000,000 Americans love their Lamb!
http://www.interestingideas.com/road...yros/gyros.htm

Last edited by midwest1; 02-05-2014 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 AM

440 posts, read 867,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Here is a wikipedia quote

"Several people claim to have brought gyros to Chicago and been the first to mass-produce them. George Apostolou claims he served the first gyros at the Parkview Restaurant in 1965. In 1974, he opened a 3,000-square-foot (280 m2) manufacturing plant called Central Gyros Wholesale. Peter Parthenis claims he mass-produced them at Gyros Inc., in 1973, a year before Apostolou.[7] In 1968, at The Parthenon restaurant, Chris Liakouras developed an early version of the modern vertical rotisserie gyros cooker, and popularized gyros by passing out samples free to customers.[11] The vertical broiler was later refined by Tom Pappas and others at Gyros incorporated. Pappas would go on to develop the modern commercial recipe for gyros in the United States, achieving success as an independent manufacturer of gyros in Florida during the early 1980s, and popularizing it in the southeastern US (Orlando Sentinel, 1981). They have since spread to all parts of the country, but the gyro is still identified as part of Chicago's working class cuisine."

Virtually all gyros in the states are manufactured in Chicago or by companies with Greek-Chicago roots and each company has their own recipe. In the Chicago area, you can buy frozen pre-sliced gyro meat and make your own sandwich at home. The spices in the meat can include garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, cumin, marjoram and pepper. It should be noted that gyros is often made with a combo of beef and lamb.

To give you an idea of how embedded gyros are in Chicago culture/cuisine, here is a poster someone made combining dozens of Gyros advertisements around Chicago.

http://www.interestingideas.com/road...yrosposter.jpg

Almost 400 gyros signs/images were collected as part of the Chicago Gyros Project...so yes. at least 10,000,000 Americans love their Lamb!
Interesting Ideas: The Gyros Project
I guess I'd better visit Chicago! Never knew it was so popular there....I buy lamb alot and people always ask me how do I cook it....a good friend asked me if I boil it -yuk...She had never tried it so I made lamb slow cooked on my BBQ and she loved it!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
If you open your mind, listen and think you'll be able to learn things, too minibrings! Maybe you should try to learn about just one country to start with? You can do it!
Pot kettle black. Stop with the generalizations and constant americans are idiots diatribe. Thats all i'm trying to tell you. . Once when i said we should agree to disagree you continued to be insistent that you were right.. So please have an open mind.. preach what you professed above.

Btw I've lived in 6 countries and have multiple citizenships so i know about multiple countries. Have you ever seen me say all aussies are idiots or racists? I avoid majing generalizations about entire groups of people.. Thats one lesson i can hope to shate with you if you actually are able to open your mind, as you profess.

Last edited by minibrings; 02-07-2014 at 09:52 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 09:14 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Well, with my flame suit on, Americans probably have the blandest most over-processed diets in the world. American "cheese" says a lot about the American palate.
LOL!

Old 11-02-2014, 01:50 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,231,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Is it more or less common alongside the others like beef, chicken or pork?

Americans don't eat lamb as often as beef, chicken or pork and some don't really eat it much at all, but do Australians or New Zealanders usually eat it about as commonly as those meats?
In Australia, yes. I buy MSA lamb most weeks and bulk buy trays of chops and other cuts from Costco or Aldi. I find it well textured, tender and with little fat (but then I only ever buy MSA meat). Whatever cut I buy it usually ends up BBQ'd one way or another.

In New Zealand, no. Lamb is too expensive and all the good quality meat gets reserved for export. We hardly had any lamb there and what we did have I wasn't impressed by.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:49 AM

56 posts, read 108,188 times
Yes, lamb is very standard in Australia but we rarely eat it.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:22 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
When I was in Sydney for three months, lamb was definitely more prevalent on supermarket shelves than in the US. This goes for both variety and the sheer size of the selection. Needless to say, I was happy about this, as was the case with the ease in which I was able to find goat meat!

Old 12-10-2014, 01:47 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Here in the US I grew up with Sunday roast either being beef or lamb but nowadays you can hardly find lamb in the grocery store. When you do find it, it's really expensive and that's why we don't eat it.

However we found some on sale, put it in the freezer, and had roast lamb for Thanksgiving dinner along with the traditional mint sauce. It was delicious.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:16 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,231,085 times
Do you make your own mint sauce? I've been growing different varieties of mints (chocolate, apple, garden) and am looking for good recipes for sauce and jelly.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:11 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
My Mum always cooked a roast on Sundays. Her lamb roast was so delicious with all trimmings including mint sauce. I was never very fond of any other lamb cuts though, just the roast. On one particularly homesick day I bought a couple of lamb chops. They were disgusting, greasy and foul tasting. Put me off lamb completely. Of course it wasn't NZ lamb, it was Australian. When I was in Oz I found the meat there tasted quite different from NZ meat. I guess they use different feed than we do. I have not seen any NZ lamb anywhere I've been in New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand