Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:49 PM

89 posts, read 210,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
I am very aware of the Chinese housing bubble with ghost cities and the end of that story is yet to play out, and sure Aus is likely a lot better place to live than China

I was not aware Chinese/Asian people are inferior to European decent people and the flow needed to be stopped?. Lets keep in mind Australia is a immigration nation, nearly 50% of Australians right now were not born here or have a parent not born here.

If the 1.2 million Poms went home tomorrow that would SIGNIFICANTLY lower house prices....................... so its the Poms fault!!. Its all about perspective!
I respectfully disagree

This isn't about being better than some other group, unless you believe it to be so. The Chinese are very smart and can be a rival threat to Anglo-Australians if they continue to buy up assets and further expand into business and politics in Australia. In Australia 1 in 4 people are from overseas so that's hardly an "immigrant nation" and gives the idea that Australia is a free-for-all with no owner at all.

I dont see multimillion air "poms" coming here in such large numbers like the Chinese. But if your talking about the numbers of each group than of course English is larger since they are the majority ethnicity that established the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 11:26 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,743,315 times
Isn't the issue the impact of foreign resident, foreign national property investors on an already over heated property market? At the moment, the largest proportion of that group by far are Chinese nationals.

Last edited by Richard1098; 02-16-2014 at 11:36 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 03:18 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,966,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saxon Lion View Post
The Chinese still have a lot of room in China despite there being 1.3 billion people there. There have been entire cities there built from scratch and no one occupies them, see that documentary about "ghost cities" in China.

They aren't to blame for wanting to move, its the big businesses and government at fault for bringing in such large numbers of them. The Chinese by themselves make up 5% of the population and another 12% of the population are 'visible' minorities.

These numbers are going to double by next decade if immigration is not reduced and controlled. The cow is being sold instead of the milk thanks to sold-out corrupt bureaucrats.
When I finished reading your post, all I got from it was, "I wish Australia would write up a Chinese Exclusion Act". Park your racism and xenophobia at the US border. Nobody in urban Australia wants your American xenophobia

Old 02-17-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
When I finished reading your post, all I got from it was, "I wish Australia would write up a Chinese Exclusion Act". Park your racism and xenophobia at the US border. Nobody in urban Australia wants your American xenophobia
Wtf are you going on about? I'm not "American" and this topic has nothing to do with the USA. I don't give a crap about your self-righteous PC drivel.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:03 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,511,826 times
I really don't give a damn about what the Chinese are doing in the market for housing in Sydney or Melbourne etc, if they want to buy what is on offer at those prices good for them. It is not as thought they are the only factor behind housing prices in Australia, other factors are playing a much bigger part.

The purchase of prime farming land by overseas parties is of more of a concern to me.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I really don't give a damn about what the Chinese are doing in the market for housing in Sydney or Melbourne etc, if they want to buy what is on offer at those prices good for them. It is not as thought they are the only factor behind housing prices in Australia, other factors are playing a much bigger part.

The purchase of prime farming land by overseas parties is of more of a concern to me.
The purchasing of farming land is defiantly a huge concern too. However, them buying up huge amount of real estate in Sydney/Melbourne and pushing up the prices in the process is not helping at all. There needs to be a limit. Those responsible for the sell-out need to be confronted on it.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times
the japanese were doing the same thing to the u.s. in the late 1980's. they ended up losing a ton of money on their real estate investments.

anyway, what's the worst case scenario here in australia? what exactly are you worried about?

Last edited by le roi; 02-17-2014 at 05:46 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,949,140 times
If Aussies want to know who is to blame for the overheated property market, look no further than the mirror. Who here is or knows of Aussie property investors?, actually the easier question is does anyone here NOT know any?

Believe the real estate industry/bank paid "news" adverts if you like, but the Aus media are here to make you enraged and blame others it works better that way. Its not good news making the majority look in the mirror, and minority groups are easier targets that make good cannon fodder regardless of the real facts.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:30 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,936,420 times
What did you expect? Vast swaths of China are now barely inhabitable due to horrific levels of pollution and chronic problems with food safety. If you have money, you want to leave China. They're doing what any mother or father would, which is paying whatever it takes for clean food and water for their children.

Why China's Rich Want to Leave - Rachel Wang - The Atlantic

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/08/op...ir-is-bad.html

China is the only place I've ever been where the pollution can absolutely choke you at times and where you get slight metallic tastes in your mouth just walking around outside in some parts of the country. Horrible.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM

4,234 posts, read 4,903,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the japanese were doing the same thing to the u.s. in the late 1980's. they ended up losing a ton of money on their real estate investments.

anyway, what's the worst case scenario here in australia? what exactly are you worried about?
They did the same in Australia, and the same things were being said about Japanese buying Australia. Queensland actually went as a far as to do an annual survey on what % of Queensland was foreign owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand