Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm an American here, I've always wanted to go to Australia, but obviously because of the distance it is extroardinarily expensive for an American to go, because of the distance.

But heres the thing, don't get the wrong idea here, I'm not some greedy American looking to plunder natural resources or have silly dreams of becoming rich from recreational mining.

But have considered/thought of the possibility of maybe doing a little recreational panning/mining for gold to offset/reduce cost of airfare/hotel on a trip to Australia.

First off, is it silly to think that I would find enough of that going to a place known for recreational mining that could offset/reduce travel costs.

Secondly, is it even allowed for people who aren't Australian citizens to do this. Would I be looked upon negatively as an American if it was allowed?

Just some thoughts. I'm a teacher, so I do have time off in our summer, your winter. Am I not being realistic? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 04:33 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Hi all,

I'm an American here, I've always wanted to go to Australia, but obviously because of the distance it is extroardinarily expensive for an American to go, because of the distance.

But heres the thing, don't get the wrong idea here, I'm not some greedy American looking to plunder natural resources or have silly dreams of becoming rich from recreational mining.

But have considered/thought of the possibility of maybe doing a little recreational panning/mining for gold to offset/reduce cost of airfare/hotel on a trip to Australia.

First off, is it silly to think that I would find enough of that going to a place known for recreational mining that could offset/reduce travel costs.

Secondly, is it even allowed for people who aren't Australian citizens to do this. Would I be looked upon negatively as an American if it was allowed?

Just some thoughts. I'm a teacher, so I do have time off in our summer, your winter. Am I not being realistic? What do you think?

It shouldn't be a problem? As long as you have a Mining/Fossickers Permit. which you can pick up from the Relevant Mining Department?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,898 times
More than welcome mate as long as you have the permit like roo mentioned. Just don't be expecting me to give up details of our fossicking spots!

Good luck with it though, there are still folks making a comfortable living out of it.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
More than welcome mate as long as you have the permit like roo mentioned. Just don't be expecting me to give up details of our fossicking spots!

Good luck with it though, there are still folks making a comfortable living out of it.
Oh really Moon.. do tell... had no idea people still went out prospecting, not one of my mates in ADL go out in search for the gold stuff.. too busy having fun I suppose...

And Tex, when you arrive, I would not mention your planned extra-curricular activity to Australia customs.. you never know.. you are just in Oz for holiday and to have a good time..

Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Oh really Moon.. do tell... had no idea people still went out prospecting, not one of my mates in ADL go out in search for the gold stuff.. too busy having fun I suppose.....
Yeah, ever since The Nugget came out there's been stories and reports of blokes out in the bush with their whizbang metal detectors every other weekend. I saw something recently about the Ballarat Gold Exchange and how they have clients that are making a comfortable living from prospecting but of course nobody is naming names or giving away the co-ordinates to their "claims" The Ballarat Gold Exchange is still in business though and doing a tidy profit, so somebody is finding gold.

Not to mention that me Mum has got all caught up in the "gold fever" and spends her time pouring over the maps and history books of the area near our farm. Apparently there was gold minging there back in the day and according to her, they couldn't possibly have found it all! She's got big plans to buy herself one of the fancy metal detectors and have herself a Eureka moment!

Old 02-05-2009, 01:09 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,436 times
Here is an encouraging story for you...
THE AUSSIE GOLD PROSPECTOR'S STORY.

All the best and let us know what you find

Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Thanks for all the advice.

I've also heard of international tourists working for a couple days at sheep stations or vineyards. Is this a practical thing too? I've done a lot of physical work before, so I'm not stranger to any grunt work. I imagine I would have to get a work visa to do that, but I've heard operations like that always welcome a bit of short term help.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:31 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,360 times
Quote:

I've also heard of international tourists working for a couple days at sheep stations or vineyards. Is this a practical thing too? I've done a lot of physical work before, so I'm not stranger to any grunt work. I imagine I would have to get a work visa to do that, but I've heard operations like that always welcome a bit of short term help.
Yeah, You will need a work permit!

It can be practical for some? As It's not unusal To find international tourists doing seasonal work (Picking fruit, Herding/Feeding animals, Driving machinery..etc). It just Mostly depends, on how far you're prepared to travel and what you're prepared to do?

It's a good way to see rural/regional Australia, Make some money and meet some of the locals.

I certianly wish you all the best, If you decide to come down under?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 02-06-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 02:04 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
Quote:

Right now if you are aged 18-30 you can get a one year working holiday visa for Australia if you are an American.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,150 times
Hi my name is peter page i am 69 years old but an very physically fit for my age, I am a British citizen who recently visited Australia on a family holiday and am very keen to return as us my teenage daughter. I an interested in investing I a small gold or going into partnership with somebody who had the same interest as me. I am financially spud and will not need any aid from the Australian government. I was wondering if you could advice me on what visas I will need to apply for and any other legal documents I will need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand