Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM

130 posts, read 133,726 times

Advertisements

With Australia worried about people using NZ as a stepping stone to Aus the answer for Australian authorities is rather simple. Only allow into Aus kiwis who are born in NZ all others must apply from their home countries. Bit tough on the young who where bought up in NZ, yes it is but there is nothing to stop them from applying from their land of birth if they have the qualifications that Aus needs and wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 02:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaraka66 View Post
With Australia worried about people using NZ as a stepping stone to Aus the answer for Australian authorities is rather simple. Only allow into Aus kiwis who are born in NZ all others must apply from their home countries. Bit tough on the young who where bought up in NZ, yes it is but there is nothing to stop them from applying from their land of birth if they have the qualifications that Aus needs and wants.
How many people are using NZ as a "stepping stone" to get into Australia? How many years does it take to get citizenship in NZ compared to Oz? How much easier is it, realistically, to move to NZ to get citizenship when the NZ economy does not have the jobs that Oz does?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,037 times
Quote:
As a Kiwi myself in Australia, I can relate to the annoyance of the Trans-Tasman reciprocal agreement being abused, I appreciate the spirit of how and why the agreement was created that benefits both nations.

NZ has a skills point system for entry not as stringent as Aus but similar. Many of the immigrants that DO use NZ as a back door are skilled but maybe just miss the cut through the Aus system. Some immigrants decide Aus might be the better option after 10 years in NZ, its not all clear cut. The one BIG exception are pacific Islanders, NZ is very tolerant of allowing them to move easily and offering full support, this is basically a bit like a refugee quota or vaguely similar in my view.

But lets cut to the CHASE and identify the real issue here. The Australian media nearly entirely focus on Pacific Island and Maori (minority groups) when doing stories around Kiws in Australia, this is a racial issue and i can support the view with nearly any Australia media report around the issue.

Then we have to decade if there actually IS a problem for Aus or is it beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
when the NZ economy does not have the jobs that Oz does?
The Employment Participation rate has been higher in NZ than AUS for the better part of a decade, the Aus government is hiding unemployment, you can start by looking at the massive 800,000+ on the disability benefit. Kiwis coming to Aus as there is no work at home is another media myth. There is more opportunity due to its larger size in Aus however.

Last edited by Battleneter; 01-28-2014 at 05:15 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 06:30 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,128,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
The one BIG exception are pacific Islanders, NZ is very tolerant of allowing them to move easily and offering full support, this is basically a bit like a refugee quota or vaguely similar in my view.
Aren't these Islanders already NZ citizens though? Or nationals?

For instance, people from Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are US citizens.

People from American Samoa are US nationals - they carry a US passport, can live and work anywhere in the 50 states - they just can't vote.

And really, aren't we walking about "countries" where the entire population might number in the tens of thousands if they're lucky? Then how many of those people who make it to NZ actually wind up resettling in Australia? How much of a threat is it really?

Old 01-29-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post

For instance, people from Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands are US citizens.

People from American Samoa are US nationals - they carry a US passport, can live and work anywhere in the 50 states - they just can't vote.

And really, aren't we walking about "countries" where the entire population might number in the tens of thousands if they're lucky? Then how many of those people who make it to NZ actually wind up resettling in Australia? How much of a threat is it really?

I am not 100% clear. I know there is a Quota system for Samoa for example and then there is some kind of pacific Island Category. I don't believe they are NZ citizens until they apply but its made pretty easy.

Yes these Island nations are tiny, NZ doesnt seem overly concerned, there is something like 250,000 living in NZ, NZ has its moment of hysteria around the issue in the 1980's. I think here is Australia there is something of a mass media hysteria, considering Aus is 5X larger than NZ you do wonder what the big deal is.

I am not sure about the number Polynesians in Aus or how many used the NZ SCV to get here.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 PM

130 posts, read 133,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post

Nope Pacific Islanders are not NZ citizens with the exception of the Cook Islanders and Nauru. And to be blunt Pacific Islanders tend to be religious and with poor education, does NZ or Aus need them for any reason ?

Old 01-30-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
And to be blunt Pacific Islanders tend to be religious and with poor education, does NZ or Aus need them for any reason ?

I think that's basically true, but its high horse stuff. Its only pure luck you or I were born in NZ/Aus, I think your attitude would be very different if you were born in Samoa.

The Aus mining boom has benefited from low skilled employees which includes some islanders, most Aussies don't want to move to a hell hole in the middle of no where .NZ needed low skilled labor in the 50,60,70's as there were not enough Kiwis to fill the roles hence encouraged Islanders to move to NZ basically where it started.

Manufacturing companies generally don't want Uni students with Batecholor degrees :P, low skilled employees are needed in any economy, its just a matter of getting the balance right, of course that's not how the media likes to look at it.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:54 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
I know many who lived in NZ for awhile before coming here. Maybe make it so they can only come to Oz after living in NZ for at least 10 years?

Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I know many who lived in NZ for awhile before coming here. Maybe make it so they can only come to Oz after living in NZ for at least 10 years?
Agreed that would have been a more sensible approach instead of the 2001 changes.

Seems obvious too.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:14 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
So do I, but not so many Pacific Islanders as such- most of these I have come across have come to Oz directly, but this is only subjective.
This back door entry has been tightened up , immigrants having to spend considerably more time in NZ than they used to before crossing the Tasman- but it still does not stop them.
Notice the reverse back door scenario is not a problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand