Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:17 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,908 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I wonder if New Zealand's National government have a few kangaroos lose in the top paddock

On one hand they're holding job fairs over here to inveigle New Zealanders home to fill alleged job shortages (dubious, I'm not sure there are any outside of Christchurch)

Scoop Business » First NZ job fairs in November

NZ Nats want job fairs in Australia

And on the other hand the Inland Revenue will try any to arrest any who come home with outstanding student debts. What a fab welcome home that'll be!

Kiwi expats face arrest on student debt defaults

I'm very interested to see what incentives these employers are going to offer and how they're going to pretend they can beat the incomes, career opportunities and lifestyles that people enjoy here. I know that wild horses wouldn't drag us back to NZ, nor any of our Kiwi friends and family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 03:46 PM

387 posts, read 871,310 times
Of course they should expect arrest for dodging their student loans. This is to be expected

Old 10-24-2014, 05:44 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,948,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
Of course they should expect arrest for dodging their student loans. This is to be expected
+1 They are hardly likely to be arrested that's media shock drivel, and NZ business along with Government can easily chase bad debts through the Aus court system anyway , which works in reverse should anyone think of escaping responsibilities in Aus.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times
Loans are not taxes, in common law systems based on English laws, this is usually not considered criminal offences.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
There are some sizeable sums involved. With interest and IRD penalties added on it's not unheard of for a $25,000 loan to jump to $100,000 Kiwi student borrowed $25,000, now owes $100,000 - One News | TVNZ.

I think one of the problems is the costs keep on piling up, even if you're not earning. Anyone having a career break overseas wanting to raise children could face massive debts by the time they return to work. I often wonder if that's why so many people return to NZ to have children: there's no interest charged on your loan while you're resident there. It's actually more cost effective for mothers-to-be to return to NZ and claim benefits than take a career break overseas. There are obvious inequality issues that need to be addressed but at the end of the day it's about encouraging people people to remain in NZ and getting the money through the door.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapwowlc View Post
Loans are not taxes, in common law systems based on English laws, this is usually not considered criminal offences.
Correct and student loans have gone through the roof here in Aus as well, so not sure why those of us living in Aus would care about the issue in NZ but not here....bit odd well maybe this.

Student debt climbs to record $26 billion - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Quote:
He says the Federal Government should follow the lead of New Zealand and England and attempt to recoup the money from Australian graduates who work overseas.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapwowlc View Post
They were also making threats not to renew New Zealand passports, I did wonder at the legality of that.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:06 AM

7 posts, read 8,901 times
Australia and NZ should provide higher education for free. Maybe youth allowance is given so the governments think there is no need to provide free education for high school graduates? Some other european countries with the same tax rate are able to provide for free. It is also ridiculous Ambulance in Australia is not free of charge. Even dentist examinations and teeth extraction should be free.

Does NZ have a constitution with freedom of movement?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
They were also making threats not to renew New Zealand passports, I did wonder at the legality of that.

Last edited by Dontstaryy; 10-25-2014 at 02:15 AM..

Old 10-25-2014, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontstaryy View Post
Australia and NZ should provide higher education for free. Maybe youth allowance is given so the governments think there is no need to provide free education for high school graduates? Some other european countries with the same tax rate are able to provide for free. It is also ridiculous Ambulance in Australia is not free of charge. Even dentist examinations and teeth extraction should be free.

Does NZ have a constitution with freedom of movement?
I agreee, HE fees should be free in affluent countries such as ours. Think of the inequities it would address tertiary education was available to everyone regardless of ability to pay.

There was talk of providing free dental examinations here but usually you get two free check ups and dental hygiene appointments a year with your health fund anyway.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post

On one hand they're holding job fairs over here to inveigle New Zealanders home to fill alleged job shortages (dubious, I'm not sure there are any outside of Christchurch)
The blog link you posted is a tad dubious at best, doesn't actually say they ARE holding job fairs and seems like a political dig. Job fairs in either country by private enterprise are not uncommon, Aus companies have been doing it in NZ for decades!. Employment participation in NZ is higher along with the unemployment rate lower, both stats combined does indicate a stronger labour market in NZ, like it or not.

But regardless of any job fairs, Kiwis are giving up on Australia in never seen before numbers and likely a few Aussies deciding the better life is back in NZ, and I say good on them whatever works!

There is certainly no need for anyone to feel threatened, be happy in the decision one makes, just because others feel they got it wrong by moving to Aus doesn't mean its wrong for you, at least that's the way I look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand