Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times

Advertisements

Just wondering? I had a confo with my friends the other day about whether the UK should get rid of the Queen, and one of my friends reckons that once the Queen retires or dies and a new king goes on the throne, Australia would get rid of the Royal Family. I personally don't care whether you will have the monarchy or not, but I was just interested in what you guys think.
So, should the next King of Great Britain and Northern Ireland become the next king of Australia and the next King of New Zealand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 08:16 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Just wondering? I had a confo with my friends the other day about whether the UK should get rid of the Queen, and one of my friends reckons that once the Queen retires or dies and a new king goes on the throne, Australia would get rid of the Royal Family. I personally don't care whether you will have the monarchy or not, but I was just interested in what you guys think.
So, should the next King of Great Britain and Northern Ireland become the next king of Australia and the next King of New Zealand?
The UK get rid of the Queen? is that a joke... and she doesnt retire, she can die though like any mortal.. I suppose Australia can do what they like concerning the monarchy..we wont..

Old 11-09-2014, 03:05 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,231,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
It is possible that Australia may want to become a republic but there would have to be a referendum to decide. IMO we don't need a monarchy here, we have two houses of parliament and checks and balances in place to prevent this country from becoming too right wing.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:18 PM

89 posts, read 209,949 times
The monarchy should stay since its part of the history and tradition of its core population. A republic will make Australia worse off then it already is. Secular liberalism has been a disaster for all our countries.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:31 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
I don't like it, but would have to go to another referendum where over 16 million eligible voters would decide.
If and when the Queen dies or becomes incapacitated, if the head of state by-passes Charles and goes straight to William, then the support for the Monarchy would increase substantially.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:40 AM

359 posts, read 658,562 times
Yes

(Preamble)

An Act to constitute the Commonwealth of Australia. [9th July 1900]

(The Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act 1900 is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom at Westminster)

Whereas the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and under the Constitution hereby established:

To suggest otherwise is to suggest anarchy.

However under section 128 of our constitution we can vote to kill any and every monarch of the UK and Northern Ireland who sets foot on Australian soil. We are our own democracy.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:00 PM

125 posts, read 163,486 times
There is no point in having a monarchy. It is the antithesis of Australian values.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:18 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
There is no point in having a monarchy. It is the antithesis of Australian values.
It is more that most Australians are resistant to change, than a challenge to their value system per se.
Many Aussies have a "" if it ain't broke, don't fix it"' type mentality, which is conservative but quite normal.
Referendums are always hard to pass (in any country), due to this reasoning.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
I'm fine with the status quo here. A bit of tradition is a fine thing. NZ is it's own country anyway, and doesn't feel it needs to prove anything imo.

Things change though, and I guess one day we won't have a monarch.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:44 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
It is more that most Australians are resistant to change, than a challenge to their value system per se.
Many Aussies have a "" if it ain't broke, don't fix it"' type mentality, which is conservative but quite normal.
Referendums are always hard to pass (in any country), due to this reasoning.
yep, I don't think many care we are a constitutional monarchy

the flag though, I think that most would be open to something without the union jack on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand