Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 10,178 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I'm an Electrical Engineer working in USA and my starting salary was $65k. I would like to know how much can an Engineer earn in Aussi ?. I saw in some some threads that Aussi salaries are higher than states.Is this true? . I welcome all my friends from States and Aussi. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 05:04 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
Quick google

Electrical Engineers - Career Advice and Salary Guide - Open Universities Australia

Would not fully trust the accuracy, its a rough guide.

You cannot directly compare dollar for dollar, the cost of living in Aus is significantly higher than the States although generally salaries are higher. Its a little situation, comparing New York to Hobart would be misleading.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:03 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
It's spelt Aussie.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
It's spelt Aussie.

Or the full spelling Austruckenfailure

Old 01-21-2014, 05:03 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Or the full spelling Austruckenfailure
Ooookay.

LOL.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 10,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Quick google

Electrical Engineers - Career Advice and Salary Guide - Open Universities Australia

Would not fully trust the accuracy, its a rough guide.

You cannot directly compare dollar for dollar, the cost of living in Aus is significantly higher than the States although generally salaries are higher. Its a little situation, comparing New York to Hobart would be misleading.
Thanx for the reply. This link seems to be incorrect as the salary growth should be far better in Australia than what these statistics indicate. According to the following link it is sure that US salaries are better than Aussie salaries. The Top 10 Highest Average Salary Per Country - TheRichest. Whats your idea?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerusa View Post
Thanx for the reply. This link seems to be incorrect as the salary growth should be far better in Australia than what these statistics indicate. According to the following link it is sure that US salaries are better than Aussie salaries. The Top 10 Highest Average Salary Per Country - TheRichest. Whats your idea?

First of all I don't trust that link, it looks like fluff for a target audience. Even with the $AU moving lower recently, just converting to $US Aus wages would still be easily higher.

More reputable link, latest data on the right.

Average annual wages

There are large differences in salaries between Carroll Iowa and New York (well I am guessing). Australia is the same, Sydney generally pays a lot better than Hobart, Australia is not one city.

Even though my link does use a purchasing power measures, its still fairly limited in understanding the true cost of living differences. For example its likely your house will cost a lot more in Australia atm and thus your mortgage might not be covered by the higher wages. The cost of living is without a doubt generally lower in the US but it can be situational.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 AM

823 posts, read 1,055,985 times
My husband is a mech engineer working in the power industry. We lived in NZ for 9 years where for much of the time he worked for an Australian/NZ joint venture company. As such, his salary was generally better than similar engineers working for NZ companies. He was also offered jobs in Brisbane, Sydney and Perth and those salaries were significantly better than in NZ. But we are now back in the States where his salary is significantly higher than what he could earn in either NZ or Australia. And the cost of living is considerably lower, even living in Santa Monica.

Having said that, we knew several people in NZ who had started their own companies or consultancies and they made money hand over fist. Bear in mind that they were very experienced, had grown children (not young families) and worked like dogs, often in places like Papua New Guinea and parts of Asia that had difficult working conditions. And it can be pretty stressful employing other people.

I couldn't really tell you what starting salaries were like, but they are probably fairly comparable at that level. If you are at the start of your career and already have some US experience, it's probably not a bad idea to get a job there for a few years. You'll have a great personal experience, demonstrate adaptability, initiative, and the ability to operate in other cultures, and probably make some great contacts in a dynamic and growing part of the world. All good things to have on your resume in a global economy.
And money isn't everything. We made enough to be modestly comfortable and had invaluable time with NZ-based family.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,831 times
Hi I am a student of electrical and electronic engineering.I am about to complete my bachelor level on this June.I am looking forward for a job either in new Zealand ,Australia or USA.which would be the better place to work for fresher like me. Do they provide job for fresher?

Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 AM

63 posts, read 90,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babu George View Post
Hi I am a student of electrical and electronic engineering.I am about to complete my bachelor level on this June.I am looking forward for a job either in new Zealand ,Australia or USA.which would be the better place to work for fresher like me. Do they provide job for fresher?
you could have started a new thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand