Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 01:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,983 times

Advertisements

I'm not a troll just looking for info on AU from native and residents who have lived inAU for years. So please, tell me about AU and Melbourne! I've lived only in the US but all over so maybe it's time for a change.

Looking for weather shopping politics driving culture etc. Thanks so much- I really appreciate the accurate info I'm getting from natives and residents that have lived there for years! Tell me why you love your country/city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 03:00 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I'm not a troll just looking for info on AU from native and residents who have lived inAU for years. So please, tell me about AU and Melbourne! I've lived only in the US but all over so maybe it's time for a change.

Looking for weather shopping politics driving culture etc. Thanks so much- I really appreciate the accurate info I'm getting from natives and residents that have lived there for years! Tell me why you love your country/city!
Have you visited and spent time there yet? It's a bit pointless to be asking people's opinions before you have an idea yourself, no?

Old 07-30-2015, 06:20 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Do any of you make a plane trip to Singapore/HK once a decade for fun and shopping? Heard clothes are fabulous and cheap (compared to AU). How long is the flight?
Once a decade?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:23 PM

431 posts, read 449,879 times
It's a very strange thread if not a troll.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:16 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,609,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Have you visited and spent time there yet? It's a bit pointless to be asking people's opinions before you have an idea yourself, no?
Yeah, my guess is if she is real she has spent zero time reading (hence the wild inaccuracies) and wants us to do all the work. I'm willing to spend hours helping genuine people (someone had some daycare questions a while ago that I spent ages researching - sometimes just knowing the right words lets you find esoteric info). But sorry, if you can't be arsed looking at climate data or googling images then I'm not putting myself out for you.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:11 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
As someone who used to live in Miami, I can say that Melbourne has little in common with Miami -- culturally, politically, weather, etc. And while Melbourne, like most big cities in the Western world, certainly has its share of suburban sprawl, the city itself is closer in feel to Boston or San Francisco than, say, Kendall or Pompano Beach in South Florida.

And I would highly recommend visiting first before you get your heart set on a place and try to pack up and move. I think the OP is under-estimating both the financial and emotional hardship of moving across the planet.

As for those editor jobs listed on those sites mentioned, are they willing to hire and sponsor an American who is not even in the country yet? It's an added expense for a company to hire a non-citizen and they're not likely to do it unless the applicant has some unique skill that few locals have. With the way media is consolidating everywhere these days, I'm sure there are many Australian editors applying for those jobs who don't come with the expense of hiring an American.

The best way for Americans who don't have needed skills to legally work in Australia is to work for a multi-national in the U.S. and get transferred or (if you're under 30) a working holiday visa. Or to marry an Aussie. Anything else, and it gets more complicated than I think most Americans realize.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:47 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
As someone who used to live in Miami, I can say that Melbourne has little in common with Miami -- culturally, politically, weather, etc. And while Melbourne, like most big cities in the Western world, certainly has its share of suburban sprawl, the city itself is closer in feel to Boston or San Francisco than, say, Kendall or Pompano Beach in South Florida.

And I would highly recommend visiting first before you get your heart set on a place and try to pack up and move. I think the OP is under-estimating both the financial and emotional hardship of moving across the planet.

As for those editor jobs listed on those sites mentioned, are they willing to hire and sponsor an American who is not even in the country yet? It's an added expense for a company to hire a non-citizen and they're not likely to do it unless the applicant has some unique skill that few locals have. With the way media is consolidating everywhere these days, I'm sure there are many Australian editors applying for those jobs who don't come with the expense of hiring an American.

The best way for Americans who don't have needed skills to legally work in Australia is to work for a multi-national in the U.S. and get transferred or (if you're under 30) a working holiday visa. Or to marry an Aussie. Anything else, and it gets more complicated than I think most Americans realize.
I've always thought of the Sydney/Melbourne differences like Vancouver/Toronto or LA/San Francisco.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:22 PM

45 posts, read 57,273 times
Melbourne = nothing like Miami. OR anywhere else in Florida for that matter (thank heavens for that!)

You'd be better off in Queensland if you want humidity and beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand