Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 05:27 AM

2,931 posts, read 1,308,387 times

Advertisements

I like many others have been shocked over the weekend to witness the US and it's meeker allies run with their tail behind their legs out of Afghanistan. I just read today that China is taunting Taiwan that a war would be over in mere hours as the US would cease to defend them. China's brash behavour mixed with a declining US has to be a message for Australians that enough is enough. Stop relying on someone else to protect you because they might not be around to do so forever.

Australia is sitting on an extreme amount of wealth from which it extracts. To honestly think that it's defence force could defend the 4th largest nation on earth with some of the richest minerals is insane. I know some want Australia to be an under populated vast space of empty and untouched land but the reality is it needs to stand on it's own two feet and realize the world is changing fast. That the fastest growing superpower doesn't see us as friends and has made no secret about wanting to damage the Australian economy. Australia needs to really look at itself and develop into a country that can defend itself with a population to support a large army. If it refuses to do this then it's future will ly in becoming a puppet to some other great power
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 06:30 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,492,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
I like many others have been shocked over the weekend to witness the US and it's meeker allies run with their tail behind their legs out of Afghanistan. I just read today that China is taunting Taiwan that a war would be over in mere hours as the US would cease to defend them. China's brash behavour mixed with a declining US has to be a message for Australians that enough is enough. Stop relying on someone else to protect you because they might not be around to do so forever.

Australia is sitting on an extreme amount of wealth from which it extracts. To honestly think that it's defence force could defend the 4th largest nation on earth with some of the richest minerals is insane. I know some want Australia to be an under populated vast space of empty and untouched land but the reality is it needs to stand on it's own two feet and realize the world is changing fast. That the fastest growing superpower doesn't see us as friends and has made no secret about wanting to damage the Australian economy. Australia needs to really look at itself and develop into a country that can defend itself with a population to support a large army. If it refuses to do this then it's future will ly in becoming a puppet to some other great power
Taiwan is not Afghanistan. They are a highly developed nation. Most Taiwanese have no interest in becoming a part of China. If the Chinese were to try anything, they’d be going up against the US, UK, Australia, Canada, France, India, Japan...

Australia doesn’t have the means to become a superpower. It simply lacks the population and industry required to become one. Australia does have the advantage of being huge, which would make it hard for any invader to hold onto.

Last edited by Milky Way Resident; 08-17-2021 at 06:39 AM..

Old 08-17-2021, 06:57 AM

910 posts, read 366,882 times
Quote:

The USA can't continue to spend trillions of dollars defending the world. We should have never been in Afghanistan for 20 years. Once America destroyed Al-Qaeda, and killed Osama bin Ladin, that should have been the end of the mission. President Biden did the right thing by pulling out, as the Afghan army refused to fight the Taliban, even though they had superior weapons, that now the Taliban has seized. I just want those trillions of dollars spent in the USA for now on, so yes Australia needs to become a superpower to defend it self against China. I would like to see Australia, with a population of about 75 million.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Taiwan is not Afghanistan. They are a highly developed nation. Most Taiwanese have no interest in becoming a part of China. If the Chinese were to try anything, they’d be going up against the US, UK, Australia, Canada, France, India, Japan...

Australia doesn’t have the means to become a superpower. It simply lacks the population and industry required to become one. Australia does have the advantage of being huge, which would make it hard for any invader to hold onto.
The US has already stated they wouldn't interfere militarily as the cost would be too much. At best they would support Taiwan with Supplies. The days of such intervention are gone especially against superpowers such as China

Old 08-17-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
The USA can't continue to spend trillions of dollars defending the world. We should have never been in Afghanistan for 20 years. Once America destroyed Al-Qaeda, and killed Osama bin Ladin, that should have been the end of the mission. President Biden did the right thing by pulling out, as the Afghan army refused to fight the Taliban, even though they had superior weapons, that now the Taliban has seized. I just want those trillions of dollars spent in the USA for now on, so yes Australia needs to become a superpower to defend it self against China. I would like to see Australia, with a population of about 75 million.
Australia would need a very large population I agree. I'm keen to see how the public here are going to look at Australia's future knowing that they can't rely on other powers anymore. Australia either needs to take it's place in the world stage or be left behind and subdued

Old 08-17-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Within 7 years China will become the world's largest economy, and most powerful military in the world. China is closing in on the USA in the amount of military spending. China will also have the largest nuclear arsenal, and biological warfare in the world. The UK, Australia, Canada, France, and Japan wouldn't really be that much help against powerful militaries, as in Russia or China. So yes Australia needs to become a superpower, as America is basically bankrupted. This magnificent country has so many needs right here, so those trillions of dollars need to stay in the USA. Australia should work towards a population of 75 million people, and becoming a nuclear power.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
The US has already stated they wouldn't interfere militarily as the cost would be too much. At best they would support Taiwan with Supplies. The days of such intervention are gone especially against superpowers such as China
You are spot on, especially if a guy like Trump with his American First agenda, gets back in. I didn't vote for Trump, but one thing I liked about him, he wasn't a war monger. Remember he is the one that made the deal with the Taliban, just no one thought they could take over that quickly. The only way America would take on China in an all out war, is if China attacked the USA, and China is to smart for that. Yes Australia needs to become a nuclear superpower, with a population of about 75 million. Guys you had a nice run, and have built a beautiful country, but the party is basically over.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:35 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,372 times
Quote:
Within 7 years China will become the world's largest economy, and most powerful military in the world. China is closing in on the USA in the amount of military spending. China will also have the largest nuclear arsenal, and biological warfare in the world. The UK, Australia, Canada, France, and Japan wouldn't really be that much help against powerful militaries, as in Russia or China. So yes Australia needs to become a superpower, as America is basically bankrupted. This magnificent country has so many needs right here, so those trillions of dollars need to stay in the USA. Australia should work towards a population of 75 million people, and becoming a nuclear power.
WTF? It is illegal for Australia to have or develop Nuclear weapons. The Nuclear Proliferation treaty has its purpose to prevent the spread of Nuclear Weapons. You are insane.

There are other insane things you put and I not bothered to comment on.

You are the contender of the Darwin award.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:47 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,372 times
Quote:

I was not shocked by the Taliban actions lately. Besides the USA and their allies have not learned from their mistakes from Vietnam blunders. They could not defeat the enemy. In Vietnam The Vietcong occupied large areas of territory when the US and their allies were in Vietnam. No matter how much bombs or troops they sent to fight the Viecong it was a lost cause. More bombs were dropped in Vietnam than WW2 too. But the Vietcong was able to survive.

Even the Vietnames under Ho Chi Min defeated the French colonial power in the 1950s in Vietnam. Also not long after the Vietnam war ended in the mid 1970s, The Communist Vietnames even defeated the Chinese military too just not long after the Vietnam war as China did attempt to invade Vietnam. Yet Vietnam was then a third world country.

A largely underdeveloped country like Vietnam was able to resist foreign military intervention, no matter if it was the Americans and their allies, the French colonials and the Chinese. With that Vietnam was not a superpower. One does not need to be a superpower to defeat a great power.

BTW I dont think the US and allies had any business to remain in Afganistan. They should have left long ago.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
WTF? It is illegal for Australia to have or develop Nuclear weapons. The Nuclear Proliferation treaty has its purpose to prevent the spread of Nuclear Weapons. You are insane.

There are other insane things you put and I not bothered to comment on.

You are the contender of the Darwin award.
I am just telling you that America is not going to fight China for you. So start building up your population to 75 million, and become a superpower, because China wants to expand! WTF don't you understand, American can't afford it anymore! Name calling me is not going to help you against China!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand