Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 11:18 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times

Advertisements

When I shared in this forum some US commentary on how OZ was handling Covid, some Diggers here got all bent out of shape and claimed that OZ was being unfairly "attacked".

Let's see how this one goes.

Quote:
The world’s largest annual drug survey has ranked Australia as the drunkest country on the planet, with Australians getting ****faced almost twice as frequently as the global average.

The Global Drug Survey’s 2021 report found that on average, respondents from around the world said they got drunk – that is, “having drunk so much that your physical and mental faculties are impaired to the point where your balance / speech was affected, you were unable to focus clearly on things and that your conversation and behaviours were very obviously different to people who know you” – 14.6 times a year, or a bit more than once a month. Australians, by comparison, got drunk about twice a month, or 27.7 times a year.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkpp...ef=thefuturist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2021, 12:34 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,498,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
When I shared in this forum some US commentary on how OZ was handling Covid, some Diggers here got all bent out of shape and claimed that OZ was being unfairly "attacked".

Let's see how this one goes.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkpp...ef=thefuturist
What's wrong with getting drunk?

Heck the naysayers might even be surprised that alchol is legal in Australia, that all the liquor stores were actually open during lockdowns and we were very free to walk to them as well, with all the talk of concentration camps etc.

Old 12-05-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
What's wrong with getting drunk?

Heck the naysayers might even be surprised that alchol is legal in Australia, that all the liquor stores were actually open during lockdowns and we were very free to walk to them as well, with all the talk of concentration camps etc.
The biggest surprise is that NZ is down near the bottom, they apparently had extreme lockdown laws in NZ, not sure if they closed the liquor stores as well? I remember reading this story, i don't recall take away places ever been closed in Brisbane. Mind its been more than a decade since I have have had any KFC, so I am not 100% certain you could get it during lockdowns.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...hnk/index.html

Last edited by danielsa1775; 12-05-2021 at 01:33 PM..

Old 12-05-2021, 01:39 PM

Oh and for the posters here, this was originally in the POC section, they far right mob who post down their have been talking freely about how Australia has turned into some kind of repressed communist society or military dictatorship, due to the COVID lockdowns for months.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:16 PM

1,223 posts, read 721,983 times
When the first Covid restrictions were announced in Australia, there was a lot of uncertainity re bottle shops and liquor outlets. The smarter of us planned for any eventuallity.....

Old 12-05-2021, 02:42 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
Average alcohol consumption in Australia is nowhere near the top of global rankings.
As this survey states that it is not representative of the wider population, I hardly think it is worth taking notice of.
Some people like to attack our Covid response as a defence mechanism.

Old 12-05-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greysrigging View Post
When the first Covid restrictions were announced in Australia, there was a lot of uncertainity re bottle shops and liquor outlets. The smarter of us planned for any eventuallity.....
Really I think the smarter people avoided the rushes, and went after everyone realized they were not even closing to start with. I live 100m from a Dan Murphy's, which has its good and bad points

Old 12-05-2021, 03:19 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,567,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Average alcohol consumption in Australia is nowhere near the top of global rankings.
As this survey states that it is not representative of the wider population, I hardly think it is worth taking notice of.
Some people like to attack our Covid response as a defence mechanism.
I assume you mean per capita alcohol consumption, which is the most common measurement. By that measure, Oz is ranked 27 out of 188. A lot closer to the top than the bottom. Of the 26 countries ahead of OZ, 24 are in Europe.

Old 12-05-2021, 04:20 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,948,732 times
Quote:
I assume you mean per capita alcohol consumption, which is the most common measurement. By that measure, Oz is ranked 27 out of 188. A lot closer to the top than the bottom. Of the 26 countries ahead of OZ, 24 are in Europe.
Not that high but high in inability to hold their alcohol. Probably better than once was, but too many drink too quick and predictable results follow.

Old 12-05-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Depends on the Survey, the world Health Organization lists Australia at 33rd, about 10 places above the US, you could easily say the US is a lot closer to the top than the bottom as well. However yes Europeans are the worlds biggest drinkers, especially if you include Russia etc.

Obviously in a lot of poorer countries, its hard to chase consumption, because most of it is home brew/bathtub type stuff, and not sold through any legal outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand