Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 05:31 AM

2,930 posts, read 1,307,494 times

Advertisements

I see many pro Vaccine mandate media outlets welcoming the announcement that NZ will open to vaccinated traveller's on the 30th of April, a strange date to give. Just make it the 1st of May. What they seem to brush over however is that even vaccinated traveller's will need to self isolate for 7 days. What tourist is going to do that? With many regions of NZ such as Queenstown heavily reliant on Tourism this has to be a kick In the teeth. As long as such restrictions exist tourism will almost be non existent. To me this is nothing short of lunacy for it's recovery

How Is It that the governments today with the hardest borders against the free movement of people are leftist governments yet yesterday they were pushing for more open borders in regards to migration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2021, 07:34 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Perhaps the Red Chinese will arrive by paratroopers into Queenstown for the Winter wearing their masks.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:47 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
We were hoping to go to NZ for a holiday in November 2022. Surely by then??

Old 11-24-2021, 02:57 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
I thought NZ as a whole had given up on covid zero. Is the south island different in policy?

Old 11-24-2021, 03:18 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Agree, it'll be hard for the tourism industry to recover after this announcement (esp. as NZ is heavily reliant on tourism).

Old 11-25-2021, 01:45 AM

2,930 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
I thought NZ as a whole had given up on covid zero. Is the south island different in policy?
They have given up but still want everyone who arrives to self quarantine for 7 days if they have been vaccinated. I don't know how long it will last for, however for as long as it does Tourism will be non existent so don't be expecting to go on holiday there for at least a year. Common sense fails again driven by the mob of fear

Old 11-25-2021, 10:17 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
They have given up but still want everyone who arrives to self quarantine for 7 days if they have been vaccinated. I don't know how long it will last for, however for as long as it does Tourism will be non existent so don't be expecting to go on holiday there for at least a year. Common sense fails again driven by the mob of fear
That is purely an opinion and not a very informed one.

The first responsibility any government has is to the people it represents and that starts with actions precepted upon the idea of protecting them from preventable harm.

Harm to one's health and well-being is a priority to what might be one's "feelings" of stifled freedoms in a country scoring among the top ten in actual, realized individual freedoms.

"Common sense" being used in this case to describe what would be a tendency towards the lack of same is the quintessential irony.

Old 11-25-2021, 12:16 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
What, exactly, does "self-isolate" mean? Hole up in a hotel for a week, without going outside, even if renting a car and driving on one's own to enjoy nature? How would people holing up in a hotel obtain food, in compliance with the requirement? "Self-isolate" apparently doesn't include avoiding hotel staff?

What exactly are the parameters of this self-isolation, OP? Maybe it's doable without wrecking the tourism industry. A week isn't too bad, if you ask me. Especially if one could still drive around and do a bit of sight-seeing away from crowds, outside the cities.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:33 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What, exactly, does "self-isolate" mean? Hole up in a hotel for a week, without going outside, even if renting a car and driving on one's own to enjoy nature? How would people holing up in a hotel obtain food, in compliance with the requirement? "Self-isolate" apparently doesn't include avoiding hotel staff?

What exactly are the parameters of this self-isolation, OP? Maybe it's doable without wrecking the tourism industry. A week isn't too bad, if you ask me. Especially if one could still drive around and do a bit of sight-seeing away from crowds, outside the cities.
I think you are not familiar with the type of system we have had in Australia and New Zealand.

Firstly, hotel quarantine, in Australia, involves being locked into a room for fourteen days. Many hotels have windows which do not open, because of safety, and people found the lack of fresh air difficult. Meals were delivered to your door by staff in protective gear, and in Sydney at least, you were not to open the door for a certain amount of time after the knock. So there was no contact with staff making deliveries. You were not allowed out to exercise and no way in the world allowed to go for a drive in a car.

I believe that in NZ some limited exercise is allowed, which was supervised. In both countries you are charged for this experience, here it is about $US2,000.

When you are able to home quarantine, you have to have a place to quarantine where you have a separate bathroom and kitchen from any others in the house. You are not to leave the house and certainly not go for a drive. If you do, you can be fined and even charged.

My state trialled home quarantine as a replacement for hotel quarantine and then shocked us all by all but abolishing it for returning vaxxed travellers. Non-vaxxed still have to do hotel quarantine but only 240 a week are admitted.

People who have not seen their families for months will submit themselves to quarantine. Hundreds of thousands of people have. Very wealthy people seem to be able to arrange their own quarantine, with full security but I have no idea how they go about it.

But no way will the average tourist want to be in either hotel quarantine or home self-isolation just to go for a vacation. The NZ tourist industry be completely non functional until this requirement is lifted.

In Australia, we in NSW and Victoria can freely leave the country and return, without quarantine, as long as our destination will accept us. And as long as we are double vaxxed. But at this stage we cannot travel to the rest of our country. So we could have Christmas in London but not in Brisbane. Crazy but it is as it is.

Old 11-25-2021, 02:58 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
It's really a shame. I have always wanted to visit New Zealand but never got the chance. I may never now because fear will reign supreme and they are too scared to let in vaccinated tourists. I'm just glad I got a chance to visit Australia when I did back in 2003.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand