Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 10:17 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
I heard Australian summer are very hot. By the way, since the visitor visa is 1 year length, we still could stay a little longer if we like it.
You can check out the climate for Sydney here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Sydney

One reason so many people live on the coast is due to the milder weather patterns in that winters are not as cold and summers not as warm as inland. Where I live (almost halfway between Sydney and Brisbane), the weather is pleasant all year around. It can get muggy in summer on the east coast north of Sydney which has subtropical weather patterns up to southern Queensland then tropical in northern Queensland.

Right now is the hottest time of the year (the end of summer). To me, November and December always seem to less warm than January and February.

It is interesting that you asked about Sydney vs Newcastle on Tyne because they both have similar bridges (and both are based on the Hell Gate Bridge in NYC).

Staying a little bit longer, especially during October and November (the spring months), and doing a bit of travelling would be a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 06:56 AM

832 posts, read 1,255,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
I wasn't sure how accessible Oxenford is. Is there a bus that goes out that way? I think one thing we need to check with OP is whether they were planning to just use public transport of whether they were planning to drive. We do drive on the other side of the world here so that is something the OP needs to watch out for.

Even in Sydney, I note that the OP will be finishing his courses quite late. There are buses but he might need to check how frequent they are at that time of night - he might be relying on taxis every now and then.
We will rely on public transportation since driving on the left side feels kind of strange, /i tried in London (UK) but it takes time to get use to it

Old 02-21-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
We will rely on public transportation since driving on the left side feels kind of strange, /i tried in London (UK) but it takes time to get use to it
Then Sydney is probably better in that regards.

One thing that you will need to check out is whether the course will provide any transportation after the late sessions and if not, check out the transport links at that time. I know that I wouldn't want to be waiting for a bus home at a quiet bus stop after 9pm at night (it might be a bit different if one was getting it from the city straight to outside where one was staying but the busstop at Moore Park could be very quiet after 9pm and there might not be people around to help if one was attacked or approached (I admit that I am thinking from the perspective of a female, you might feel different as a male)).

Old 02-21-2016, 09:14 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
Quote:

One thing that you will need to check out is whether the course will provide any transportation after the late sessions and if not, check out the transport links at that time. I know that I wouldn't want to be waiting for a bus home at a quiet bus stop after 9pm at night (it might be a bit different if one was getting it from the city straight to outside where one was staying but the busstop at Moore Park could be very quiet after 9pm and there might not be people around to help if one was attacked or approached (I admit that I am thinking from the perspective of a female, you might feel different as a male)).
I agree with susankate that Sydney will be your best option if you don't plan on having a car, and that it's worth checking out transport options for late-finishing classes.

However, I wouldn't be worried about things being quiet (and potentially dangerous) in the Moore Park area after 9pm. I used to live in Moore Park and there will be plenty of people around at that time - more of them going OUT to dinner than coming HOME from dinner! As a 50-something woman when living there, I never had a moment's worry in and around Moore Park even well into the wee hours. Exception - 'cheerful' revellers exiting the SCG! They were more annoying than dangerous

Old 02-22-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:

One thing that you will need to check out is whether the course will provide any transportation after the late sessions and if not, check out the transport links at that time. I know that I wouldn't want to be waiting for a bus home at a quiet bus stop after 9pm at night (it might be a bit different if one was getting it from the city straight to outside where one was staying but the bus stop at Moore Park could be very quiet after 9pm and there might not be people around to help if one was attacked or approached (I admit that I am thinking from the perspective of a female, you might feel different as a male)).
I am not really afraid of being alone at 9pm (I am a male, athletic for that matter). To me, 9pm is pretty early but different country, different culture. I really appreciate your concern.

Quote:
I agree with susankate that Sydney will be your best option if you don't plan on having a car, and that it's worth checking out transport options for late-finishing classes.

However, I wouldn't be worried about things being quiet (and potentially dangerous) in the Moore Park area after 9pm. I used to live in Moore Park and there will be plenty of people around at that time - more of them going OUT to dinner than coming HOME from dinner! As a 50-something woman when living there, I never had a moment's worry in and around Moore Park even well into the wee hours. Exception - 'cheerful' revellers exiting the SCG! They were more annoying than dangerous
As for dangerous place, I have been to Brixton, Paris suburbs, Boston suburbs... and Never had anything happening to me, I guess it has a lot to do on how do you carry yourself.

I am really exited about Sydney, it will be a totally different experience being very far away.
PS: We decided to extend our stay, after Sydney, we think about visiting Tasmania, Perth and at least one Aborigines reserve.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I am not really afraid of being alone at 9pm (I am a male, athletic for that matter). To me, 9pm is pretty early but different country, different culture. I really appreciate your concern.

As for dangerous place, I have been to Brixton, Paris suburbs, Boston suburbs... and Never had anything happening to me, I guess it has a lot to do on how do you carry yourself.

I am really exited about Sydney, it will be a totally different experience being very far away.
PS: We decided to extend our stay, after Sydney, we think about visiting Tasmania, Perth and at least one Aborigines reserve.
It was more about whether the bus stop was isolated or not - from what a previous poster said, it sounds like there are crowds around which is good. I used to live in Elizabeth Bay (near Kings Cross our red light district) and never had any concerns about walking around up to midnight - the sheer amount of people around actually made it feel safer. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to get off a train at a quieter outer Sydney suburb at 9pm if there was no-one else around.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
It was more about whether the bus stop was isolated or not - from what a previous poster said, it sounds like there are crowds around which is good. I used to live in Elizabeth Bay (near Kings Cross our red light district) and never had any concerns about walking around up to midnight - the sheer amount of people around actually made it feel safer. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to get off a train at a quieter outer Sydney suburb at 9pm if there was no-one else around.
We never hear anything about Sydney gang/violence whatsoever, does this city has a violence problem? I heard about north Melbourne, but never from Sydney. And is it true that Perth doesn't have a single poor neighborhood?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:10 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,892,476 times
Quote:
We never hear anything about Sydney gang/violence whatsoever, does this city has a violence problem? I heard about north Melbourne, but never from Sydney. And is it true that Perth doesn't have a single poor neighborhood?
Yes there is gang violence in Sydney, but it tends to exist in the south western suburbs not the inner city. The inner part of Sydney is like a global city with significantly higher wages and property prices and the outer ring is more like the rest of Australia. That being said, the gang violence in Australia is nothing like Europe or North America.

There are poor suburbs everywhere, even Perth.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It was more about whether the bus stop was isolated or not - from what a
previous poster said, it sounds like there are crowds around which is good.
I used to live in Elizabeth Bay (near Kings Cross our red light district) and
never had any concerns about walking around up to midnight - the sheer amount of
people around actually made it feel safer. On the other hand, I wouldn't want
to get off a train at a quieter outer Sydney suburb at 9pm if there was no-one
else around.
I just wanted to make it clear that I was speaking as a female and thinking of what happened to Anita Cobby and Janine Balding many years ago.

I wasn't trying to scare you or anything, I was just thinking from my own perspective re isolated spots. It wasn't really about violence per se.

In general, most Australians are fairly safe (I've lived in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane).

Old 02-23-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I just wanted to make it clear that I was speaking as a female and thinking of what happened to Anita Cobby and Janine Balding many years ago.

I wasn't trying to scare you or anything, I was just thinking from my own perspective re isolated spots. It wasn't really about violence per se.

In general, most Australians are fairly safe (I've lived in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane).
I know you were not, and so far all of you have been pretty nice to me.
I just read the Anita Cobby story... So tragic, remind me of a story that looked almost like this one that happened to an Australian tourist girl killed in Paris a couple years ago. She was supposed to sleep in her french friends house but took the wrong train, she then called a male friend of her (australian too) who lived in Paris to spend the night in his apartment before taking the plane the next day to NYC... The guy said yes just to get rid of her but never came... The girl was waiting for him near the metro station... She became so desperate that she accepted the offer from a stranger to sleep in his home... The guy tried to have sex with her which she refused... He then beat her up, strangled her and threw her body through the window...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand