Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Adelaide 18 43.90%
Auckland 23 56.10%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised these two cities are not compared more. They're almost exactly the same size. Adelaide as a reputation for being dull and boring, while Auckland is NZ's largest city (and the capital of the Pacific) it's still small by Aussie standards.

Compare by the following or any other criteria:

Scenery

Climate

Urban layout

Parks

Public transport/road infrastructure

Architecture

Streetlife

Entertainment/Nightlife

Dining/Cuisine

Culture (Museums, Art.etc)

People (Friendliness.etc)

Cost of living/Livability

Amenities

Tourist attractions

Which city do you prefer? Which is more exciting/boring? Which would you rather live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 08:11 AM

794 posts, read 1,408,655 times
Almost exactly the same? You ever been to them?

Old 03-24-2013, 03:26 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
I've lived in one and spent quite a bit of time in the other when I first thought of moving to NZ (then decided on SA)

I'm surprised these two cities are not compared more. They're almost exactly the same size. Adelaide as a reputation for being dull and boring, while Auckland is NZ's largest city (and the capital of the Pacific) it's still small by Aussie standards.

Location. Scenery.

Auckland has a more scenic location esp with the volcanos and cute areas such as Davenport, but I think the Gulf St Vincent get much warmer for swimming in the summer. Auckland does feel a little more isolated than ADL.

Climate
Adelaide has hotter summers. Auckland was damper chillier in winter

Urban layout
Adelaide much better laid out. ITs a brilliant design having the 4 terraces and littles squares within the city. The topography of Auckland would make such a design more difficult to create.

Parks
Adelaide's parklands win. Esp north Terraces with the rose gardesn by the Torrens and the Botniac Garden.

Public transport/road infrastructure
Adelaide has trams, buses. Trams are free within the CBD and the are free buses. There is also a solar powered bus that connects Adelaide CBD with North Adelaide. I drove mostly when I was in Auckland so it would unfair for me to say one over the other.

Architecture
I love the fact that Adelaide has many interesting old buildings that are preserved. Auckland architecturally felt bland modern in the CBS.

Streetlife
Hmmm.

Entertainment/Nightlife
Hmmm.

Dining/Cuisine
I give the edge to Adelaide, the the NY TImes called it the foodie capital of Oz. Being close to the wine regions of SA helps.

Culture (Museums, Art.etc)
Adelaide is the Festival State after all.

People (Friendliness.etc)
Same.

Cost of living/Livability
Hmm. Close.

Amenities
Define

Tourist attractions
Hard to say one or the other. If you're a serious oenologist, you can't go wrong for the city with giant balls.

Which city do you prefer? Which is more exciting/boring? Which would you rather live in?
Toss up. I'd chose MEL over ADL. But ADL or AUCK.. hmm.. I do like the strong Pacifica culture in Auckland. But I like the warm waters of the gult st vincent and I'm a foodie and I love my wine and Coopers.

Tough I like both. Draw. ADL has the beaches wine and food, Auckland has the All Blacks and a strong Pacifica prescence.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 PM

I'm surprised it wasn't a wash for ADL mini! Unfortunately I was in nappies when i was in Auckland last. And to WCG clearly read my OP, I said similar in SIZE. I do wanna go back to NZ, Christchurch was a nice city, I hope it hasn't been too ruined since the earthquake.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm surprised it wasn't a wash for ADL mini! Unfortunately I was in nappies when i was in Auckland last. And to WCG clearly read my OP, I said similar in SIZE. I do wanna go back to NZ, Christchurch was a nice city, I hope it hasn't been too ruined since the earthquake.
I do try to be objective. I do like Auckland and at times second guess not having moved there. But on the other hand, some of my best years, and best mates, were in ADL. So tough. And I've always said if I moved back to Oz, it would be MEL, for careers.

I am fascinated by Maori culture, since my Mum is from Hawai'i, it felt very comfortable. I know the Te Reo verse of GDNZ better than the English verse. I met a Maori woman in Rotorua once and she told me (after I told her my Mum was from HI) "you're my lazy cousin" (my ancestors did not leave Hawaii). I thought about it and I said "you're my dumb cousin".. she had a look on her face until I added the caveat "your family left a perfectly nice WARM island for one that gets chilly and gets snow in some parts.. our people are meant for warm weather".. we both laughed. But there was a bond.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I do try to be objective. I do like Auckland and at times second guess not having moved there. But on the other hand, some of my best years, and best mates, were in ADL. So tough. And I've always said if I moved back to Oz, it would be MEL, for careers.

I am fascinated by Maori culture, since my Mum is from Hawai'i, it felt very comfortable. I know the Te Reo verse of GDNZ better than the English verse. I met a Maori woman in Rotorua once and she told me (after I told her my Mum was from HI) "you're my lazy cousin" (my ancestors did not leave Hawaii). I thought about it and I said "you're my dumb cousin".. she had a look on her face until I added the caveat "your family left a perfectly nice WARM island for one that gets chilly and gets snow in some parts.. our people are meant for warm weather".. we both laughed. But there was a bond.
Wow, you're full of surprises mini, had no idea you were part Polynesian! The Polynesian/Melanesian cultures are often overlooked among the cultures of the world.

Yes i'm planning to move to Melbourne soon myself.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Wow, you're full of surprises mini, had no idea you were part Polynesian! The Polynesian/Melanesian cultures are often overlooked among the cultures of the world.

Yes i'm planning to move to Melbourne soon myself.
I didn't say mom was pure Hawaiian. Lots of people with no Hawaiian blood. However mom is 1/4 Hawaiian.. That would make me 1/8. Every time I visit Honolulu, people treat me like a local...

Old 04-10-2013, 01:18 PM

416 posts, read 700,838 times
Quote:
How is Auckland "small by Aussie standards"? Auckland is home to over 1.5 million people, and has a higher density of people per square km than any major Australian city including Sydney and Melbourne. Adelaide has 1.1 million, and I would say a more comparable city in size would be Perth. I have not been to Adelaide yet, which I really hope to get to soon as this is one of the few international cities that I have on my radar for relocation. Adelaide has more of what I want out of a city versus Auckland, and a much better planned city; I voted for Adelaide. Auckland reminds me too much of an American planned city. With that said, I feel like Auckland had a pretty significant international feel to it, an extremely diverse population, and plenty of skilled migrants who called it home. If Auckland was an Australian city it would take the 5th spot behind Perth, and closer to Perth's 1.8 million than Adelaide's 1.1 million.

Adelaide reminds me of my area. Extremely underrated, home to nationally recognized institutions, an awesome city for people who truly love urban centers.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:37 PM

416 posts, read 700,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

Toss up. I'd chose MEL over ADL. But ADL or AUCK.. hmm.. I do like the strong Pacifica culture in Auckland. But I like the warm waters of the gult st vincent and I'm a foodie and I love my wine and Coopers.
You sound a lot like me. Love me some Australian wine. I have looked into Melbourne as well in areas like Fitzroy North, Collingwood, and Footscray. I just feel like I could get more for my money in Adelaide.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:44 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Sydney then Melbourne are the business hubs of Aus, where Auckland is the main business hub of NZ. For jobs and business Auckland by a mile.

To illustrate what i am getting at, IT follows corporate busies and is a great indicator category..... As you can see the numbers are disproportionate even on a per capita basis.

All IT jobs adverts
http://www.seek.com.au/
http://www.seek.co.nz/

Adelaide = 292
Auckland = 1233

Auckland feels a LOT like Brisbane would be the closest Aussie city IMO although Brissy is a tad bigger.

I would lean towards Auckland as the pick of the two, Auckland and Adelaide, NZ and Aus usually feature on quality of life surveys, depends which one you want to believe :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...livable_cities

Last edited by Battleneter; 04-10-2013 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand