Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite city in Australia
Sydney 15 28.85%
Melbourne 18 34.62%
Perth 6 11.54%
Adelaide 3 5.77%
Brisbane 5 9.62%
Canberra, A.C.T. 2 3.85%
Other (specify) 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times

Advertisements

For the city alone I had to go for Melbourne - it's really unique, in a good way.

For natural beauty, still can't beat Sydney then Hobart.

Perth doesn't have all that much going for it, imo, believe me I've travelled around Oz a fair bit. Not much you can get here you can't get anywhere else except extreme isolation. It's still a nice place, though, just not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:05 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,732,343 times
Perth gets my pick.
I prefer smaller cities for one, and Perth has pretty much everthing there as well as a great climate (long summer without humidity), beaches etc.
I am not into night-life or fine dining, so it would suit me.
Hobart interests me as somewhere I would like to live for 12 months, but not permanently, Adelaide similarly. Brisbane less so.
Sydney and Melbourne are both over-rated unless you can live relatively close to the city and public transport.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
... Perth has pretty much everthing there as well as a great climate (long summer without humidity), beaches etc..
Those are the two best things for me too. With the exception of the extreme heat, the weather is really good imo. And the beaches are the best as far as accessibility, clarity, variety.

Quote:
I am not into night-life ...
Well that's good. You'll be safer. And not lose your hearing

Quote:
or fine dining ...
... and you'll be richer. Although any dining in Perth will set you back far more than it's worth. Noticing that big-time now being in the US where we can eat so well for so little. Even with taxes and tip.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:24 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,959,037 times
Perth indeed does it for certain folk,and rightly so,in itself it is a delightful place at first sight. A rather ideal climate,easy access to nice beaches,(including by train.)A free city transport system,that covers the smallish city limits These things being impossible or more difficult to encounter in European cities....but Perth has got way ahead of itself in costs,offering poor value these days in so many areas,especially to those of us that used to come out here in the eighties and nineties,where the value that could be found during that period, could enable one to overlook the limitations.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Perth indeed does it for certain folk,and rightly so,in itself it is a delightful place at first sight. A rather ideal climate,easy access to nice beaches,(including by train.)A free city transport system,that covers the smallish city limits These things being impossible or more difficult to encounter in European cities....but Perth has got way ahead of itself in costs,offering poor value these days in so many areas,especially to those of us that used to come out here in the eighties and nineties,where the value that could be found during that period, could enable one to overlook the limitations.
I beg to disagree. I think you'll find all those things - just with more crowds - in say a city like Marseille or Barcelona, where the climate isn't really that much different to Perth's. There's also tons more to do in those cities other than lying on the beach.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I beg to disagree. I think you'll find all those things - just with more crowds - in say a city like Marseille or Barcelona, where the climate isn't really that much different to Perth's. There's also tons more to do in those cities other than lying on the beach.
Actually i fully agree with you. Perth is far to slow and isolated and a whole host of other things as well. What i was attemting to point out was that owing to the fact that a certain value could be obtained,ie low prices in rents,house purchase,food,beer,years ago,and i am talking well over a decade and more one could over look to a degree the lack of a vibe,some what unworldy locals,limited social possibilities,(on second thoughts maybe not,after six months one tends to be bored out of theit nut)
Indeed,i to can think of several cities that would far prefer to be in Europe.Lisbon...Porto......Barcelona.....lived in France prior to moving to Australia and know Marseille and funnily enough was considering the purchase of an apartment by the old harbour which was being renovated at the time....Having moved a number of times to different countries i would certainly only consider Perth only to be a short term alternative.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Actually i fully agree with you. Perth is far to slow and isolated and a whole host of other things as well. What i was attemting to point out was that owing to the fact that a certain value could be obtained,ie low prices in rents,house purchase,food,beer,years ago,and i am talking well over a decade and more one could over look to a degree the lack of a vibe,some what unworldy locals,limited social possibilities,(on second thoughts maybe not,after six months one tends to be bored out of theit nut)
Indeed,i to can think of several cities that would far prefer to be in Europe.Lisbon...Porto......Barcelona.....lived in France prior to moving to Australia and know Marseille and funnily enough was considering the purchase of an apartment by the old harbour which was being renovated at the time....Having moved a number of times to different countries i would certainly only consider Perth only to be a short term alternative.
Yeah I lived in the southern suburbs of Perth for the first (bar the first one year) 23 years of my life, and it's made me sick as hell of the place. Not because I'm ungrateful, or think it's a dump, it just lacks so many things I want (don't make me name them!) in a city. I've always liked the idea of living in Europe, particularly somewhere on the Mediterranean, it has so much more culture, history, interesting places to visit, more real diversity.etc. But yeah, having lived here for so long makes you long to escape, if you're that way inclined.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:25 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,730,143 times
Quote:
....but Perth has got way ahead of itself in costs,offering poor value these days in so many areas,especially to those of us that used to come out here in the eighties and nineties,where the value that could be found during that period, could enable one to overlook the limitations.
We've thought that exact thing ourselves, my husband and I: Perth offers poor value. Yes, you can tolerate its flaws if it is an affordable place to live but when house prices & living costs reach and surpass those of larger, less isolated cities with far more amenities, entertainment, options and scenery, then it starts to bother some of us. We start to feel we're being ripped off. Nice beaches and weather isn't a good trade off.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:28 PM

Can fully appreciate what you say. There is no way i would live out my twenties in Perth,that would be sad. If you are under thirty,go get yourself a Working Holiday Visa to the UK,and see what turns up.
The Med region is great but problem is if not flash with cash then work would be required. Could always try the English teaching thing,Spain or Portugal,not great money..but hey the experience.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Can fully appreciate what you say. There is no way i would live out my twenties in Perth,that would be sad. If you are under thirty,go get yourself a Working Holiday Visa to the UK,and see what turns up.
The Med region is great but problem is if not flash with cash then work would be required. Could always try the English teaching thing,Spain or Portugal,not great money..but hey the experience.
Exactly what I plan to do in a couple of years time. Actually I'm in an even quieter place now for a job, but not sure how it's gonna last. Needless to say, I'm going to get out of WA as fast as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand