Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 4,852 times

Advertisements

First of all, I'm a single 20-something looking to follow my dream. I love both places, and just don't know which would suit me more. I'm visiting them for 2 months each to see if I like either of them. Yes expensive, but I think it'll help me decide.

On one hand, I love snow. On the other, I hate the cold.

1. I'm scared of the bugs. Anywhere I go, I'm thinking, "Is there a spider on me? Are there bugs near my hair?" I'm terrified of them, but it doesn't matter which country I'm in, that'll always be the case unfortunately. Should I let this ruin my dream?

2. Is it easy to get a work visa in either country? I'm asking because if I live in one for 2 months and like it, I'd already be in the country. Would I have to leave to apply?

I know my hopes&dreams could be crushed if it's not what I expect, but I won't know if I don't try.... I'm also not rich so I'd be on a budget. And I know a lot of this is probably not clear, but I just need to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 06:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Well no wishful thinking doesn't amount to desired results, unfortunately. Firstly are you American? What sort of visa do you plan to apply for? It is not just a matter of turning up and working, obviously. A student visa would allow you to work for x number of hours a week, but is hardly cheap. Does your passport qualify you for a WHV? If Canadian for example it will.

Both countries are expensive, but Australia especially so. UK would be closer if from North America , besides you would meet a lot of Australians in a place like London, plus a lot of the rest of the world. Great city for international contact. The back packing route in Australia would p[rove similar, but different.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:38 AM

116 posts, read 169,767 times
Where are you from? That may help things.

I feel Australia and London (UK) are polar opposites.

Sure, there's some shared culture, but in respect of cities, climate, landscape, job opportunities, demographics etc etc etc they're completely different.

So what are you wanting? History, hustle and bustle, nightlife? London.

Are you wanting climate, the outdoors, beaches etc? Pick Australia.

And wtf, how much misinformation is there about Australia, especially with Americans, stop using Steve Iriwn as a frickin reference point for Australia. You're not going to be mauled alive by bugs. It actually makes me rage how so many people worry their 'experience will be ruined' by some non existent bugs.

You're more likely to be shot dead by one of your gun toting countrymen (presuming you're American, as it's only American who ask these stupid fukn bug questions) than encounter some creepy bugs en masse.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:32 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,225 times
The ease or difficulty of getting a work visa for either Australia or the UK, Gracelynnhope7, depends entirely on what you are qualified to do and what relevant experience you have. If you have a skill, trade or profession that is in short supply you are in with a chance of finding a prospective employer to sponsor you. Otherwise they just won't be interested - it's easier for them to employ a local person. The same goes for Canada, New Zealand, anywhere really.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Best thing to do for OP, if not possessing transportable qualifications, is probably to just travel. Not so common with Americans, I know, If indeed American, but far more so with Europeans. If experiencing 'other worlds' is part of their make up, a bit of adventure, rather than simply the mundane career everyday life experience, then plot an escape and go. Life can be so much more and everywhere when out of the 'usual way of looking at things' out of comfort zone, with folk, thinking differently, anything and everything can eventuate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand