Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 06:28 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times

Advertisements

It seems so far Australia and NZ’s. economy has managed to weather any damages from their sustained lockdowns for the time being, with the support of the majority of its citizens who I assume do so with the understanding that it will be temporary. How temporary is the question.

I do wonder for how long and to what extent the people and government are willing to trade economy for safety.

Here in the US, our government and many of its people (especially those with impacted businesses) have been at (heated) odds over this issue. To mitigate the damages to the economy from COVID-related policies and the fractured response of its populace, our government has engaged in an aggressive measure to basically print money to financially support those unable or unwilling to work, for a variety of pandemic related and non-related reasons. Basically artificially prop up our economy. We’ve also seen labor pressure on businesses to increase worker’s pay in light of the worker supply and demand imbalance. Some businesses are suffering because they lost a significant proportion of their workforce to Covid-19 related illnesses or deaths.

Both measures, in conjunction with disruptions to the global supply chain, have lead to inflation in our economy, with the regular working folks being hit the hardest financially. It’s quite a complex situation, where our government’s actions to help one group has hurt another, with no clear end in sight it seems. And unlike Oz/NZ, the people themselves have played a role, with a national fractured response to the pandemic.

All these contributing to a turbulent and bit worrisome economic and social situation here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 08:36 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I will not be visiting again until all the nonsense is over. No interest in quarantines, lockdowns and other nonsense.

That might be one year, five years, 10 years, 40 years, who knows at this point but until the Australian government gets off this "zero covid" idiocy, I will not be visiting.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:41 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I will not be visiting again until all the nonsense is over. No interest in quarantines, lockdowns and other nonsense.

That might be one year, five years, 10 years, 40 years, who knows at this point but until the Australian government gets off this "zero covid" idiocy, I will not be visiting.
It is probably hard to keep up to date, but our Federal government never intended there to be a zero Covid approach. It evolved when the attempts to flatten the curve last year were more successful than expected.

But with the coming of Delta, NSW gave up on zero a couple of months ago and now Victoria has officially done so too. Only today the NZ government have announced that they quite possibly will not get to zero again.

The official federal policy is now to start international borders reopening when the vaxx rate hits 80% double dose. Here in NSW we expect to hit 70% on Oct 9th, with substantial reopening on Oct 11th.

It is anticipated that international borders will start to open in November or December. But it is possible that if the states which are still Covid free now are still then, they may not take part.

In actual fact hundreds and thousands of people have flown in and out of the country since Covid but the movement has been much more restricted than normal and yes, quarantine required.

Probably looking at another year, not five.l

Old 09-22-2021, 08:46 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I will not risk it until there is political change for the better away from a totalitarian regime because I wont be doing quarantine camps or lockdowns or any other nonsense. So yes it may be years. If I am going to be harassed over a cold virus at the border or in the country, forget it.

Australia is getting intense bad press here in the USA every day, especially on social media, so even if the switch flipped now, damage to the tourism industry is going to be long lasting for years to come. Videos from quarantine camps, cops in Sydney and Melbourne beating people senseless every day, people getting harassed by cops for sitting on a bench, all that is stuff is everywhere, everyday and it makes Australia look about as appealing as North Korea as a vacation spot.

New Zealand is not getting as much bad press, but enough and their international tourism industry is dead. A lot of towns on the South Island especially are toast and if they don't find new industries soon, there will be a lot of new ghost towns and a lot of permanently unemployed people.

I think a lot of dummies in both countries think they will just flip a switch and it's going to just come back on, but it isn't and economic carnage from this will go on for years to come. They keep pushing the goalposts back on when they will throw open the border, but who's going to come?

Personally with the way I see things going, it's going to get worse, not better as it's pretty clear now all this has zero to do with a respiratory virus, but rather imposing another political system and control over the populace.

Old 09-22-2021, 03:13 PM

823 posts, read 1,056,376 times
"Videos from quarantine camps, cops in Sydney and Melbourne beating people senseless every day, people getting harassed by cops for sitting on a bench, all that is stuff is everywhere, everyday and it makes Australia look about as appealing as North Korea as a vacation spot."

So, much like large parts of the US, then?!

Old 09-22-2021, 07:59 PM

1,548 posts, read 871,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I will not risk it until there is political change for the better away from a totalitarian regime because I wont be doing quarantine camps or lockdowns or any other nonsense. So yes it may be years. If I am going to be harassed over a cold virus at the border or in the country, forget it.

Australia is getting intense bad press here in the USA every day, especially on social media, so even if the switch flipped now, damage to the tourism industry is going to be long lasting for years to come. Videos from quarantine camps, cops in Sydney and Melbourne beating people senseless every day, people getting harassed by cops for sitting on a bench, all that is stuff is everywhere, everyday and it makes Australia look about as appealing as North Korea as a vacation spot.

New Zealand is not getting as much bad press, but enough and their international tourism industry is dead. A lot of towns on the South Island especially are toast and if they don't find new industries soon, there will be a lot of new ghost towns and a lot of permanently unemployed people.

I think a lot of dummies in both countries think they will just flip a switch and it's going to just come back on, but it isn't and economic carnage from this will go on for years to come. They keep pushing the goalposts back on when they will throw open the border, but who's going to come?

Personally with the way I see things going, it's going to get worse, not better as it's pretty clear now all this has zero to do with a respiratory virus, but rather imposing another political system and control over the populace.
Aren't cops acting in self-defense against protesters that are hitting them?

Old 09-22-2021, 08:18 PM

1,811 posts, read 901,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Aren't cops acting in self-defense against protesters that are hitting them?
Are the protestors acting in self defense when the cops are shoving them and dousing them with pepper spray?

Old 09-28-2021, 10:06 PM

Two men from Melbourne went to the AFL Grand Final without G2G approval. They were at the game and partying at a night club during their stay. Now they are in custody and could face a year in jail in Western Australia and/or be fined $50000 each.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:50 AM

910 posts, read 367,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
Two men from Melbourne went to the AFL Grand Final without G2G approval. They were at the game and partying at a night club during their stay. Now they are in custody and could face a year in jail in Western Australia and/or be fined $50000 each.
Were many people from Melbourne allowed to travel to Perth for the AFL Grand Final?

Old 09-29-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
Were many people from Melbourne allowed to travel to Perth for the AFL Grand Final?
No. New South Wales, Victoria and Australian Capital Territory are not allowed to travel there freely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand