Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,099,384 times

Advertisements

How do you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 10:49 PM

9,904 posts, read 13,921,963 times
Default How do I feel about it?

Same as I do whenever the US gets a new President. Hopeful that they'll do a good job and that their policies won't have sweeping ramifications for the rest of us.

It's pretty cool that a black man has finally been elected President of the United States but whether I think he's a good President or not will depend entirely on what he does and how it affects Australia and the rest of the world.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:50 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,741,002 times
Yeah, fine, whatever. It's not our election, or our leader. Wish you the best. But worry that there's been way too much hope & hype placed in Obama, almost like he was a Messiah or something. Some reports I've seen with people all rapturous and hysterical over him were a bit cringe-worthy. He's just a man, part of that big, festering political machine over there. Okay, so he's probably made a lot of people happy and feel good, but that doesn't pay the mortgage or put food on the table.

I feel sorry for him inheriting that mess over there. Good luck, Mr. Hope and Change. You'll need lots and lots and lots of it.

Other than that, I'll be so astonishingly RELIEVED!!!!! that your torturously lllloooooooonnnnnnnggggg election campaign is finally, finally, finally OVER!!!!

I'll be so glad to not keep hearing about it. Except I'm sure we'll now have to keep hearing about it, being he's the first "black" President and all. Lots of magazine covers and gushing articles about the symbolism of it all. But like I said, that don't pay the mortgage or put food on the table.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:48 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,099,384 times
Well, I understand your views. It is a historic election for us though, I'm very happy to be moved in a direction of hope instead of embarrassment. lol It's over now, you can get back to your old irritations. I to hope he works on home and stays out of everyone elses business for a while. I'm sick of being from the country with 10 arms and no brain! Thanks for your comments.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 AM

13,417 posts, read 28,801,406 times
expect an influx of Americans to Austrailia

Old 11-05-2008, 07:37 AM

790 posts, read 1,735,623 times
Quote:
eh, why? Our equivalent of the democrats are in power at the moment.

From what I gather, the general consensus here is that his election is a good thing. Some are a little skeptical though, that he may be all hype and no substance - but this seems based upon our current PM who had a similar ride into the top seat with a lot of promises and hype but now that he's in power, he hasn't accomplished very much other than symbolic gestures.

On a more personal level, i had picked him last year when i read about the different presidential candidate nominees - he and Ron Paul, from memory. I hope he does well for the US and while i think too much is made about the fact that he is "african american," which ignores the fact that his mother was white, i do hope that by showing that even minorities can reach the top job in the US that evident racial issues decline. I also think that we as Australia will be ignored by the US now - one good thing about Bush was that he did seem to show an interest here, not that that's an important matter, but considering how we blindly walk into war when America tells us to, it's good to know that they still remember us. And finally, i feel sorry for McCain - even in his acceptance speech he was very gracious in defeat and this whole election was near impossible for him to win because he was dragging along the shadow of an unpopular president, unpopular war and a financial crisis which occurred while his political party was in power.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
eh, why? Our equivalent of the democrats are in power at the moment.

From what I gather, the general consensus here is that his election is a good thing. Some are a little skeptical though, that he may be all hype and no substance - but this seems based upon our current PM who had a similar ride into the top seat with a lot of promises and hype but now that he's in power, he hasn't accomplished very much other than symbolic gestures.

On a more personal level, i had picked him last year when i read about the different presidential candidate nominees - he and Ron Paul, from memory. I hope he does well for the US and while i think too much is made about the fact that he is "african american," which ignores the fact that his mother was white, i do hope that by showing that even minorities can reach the top job in the US that evident racial issues decline. I also think that we as Australia will be ignored by the US now - one good thing about Bush was that he did seem to show an interest here, not that that's an important matter, but considering how we blindly walk into war when America tells us to, it's good to know that they still remember us. And finally, i feel sorry for McCain - even in his acceptance speech he was very gracious in defeat and this whole election was near impossible for him to win because he was dragging along the shadow of an unpopular president, unpopular war and a financial crisis which occurred while his political party was in power.
I agree with everything in your post!! Race is not an issue for me, I just don't think he has enough experience under his belt and I do not care for his "Spread the Wealth" Don't mind helping those truly in need but have a hardtime with those that have no desire or motivation to help themselves....time to start looking for safe off shore places to put what money I have left safely away from Obama's hands

Old 11-05-2008, 09:31 AM

200 posts, read 1,009,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by

Other than that, I'll be so [B
astonishingly RELIEVED!!!!![/b] that your torturously lllloooooooonnnnnnnggggg election campaign is finally, finally, finally OVER!!!!
Yeah that pretty much sums up how I feel.

On the other hand I kinda feel for him. He's taken over a mess. Some people do seem to think of him as a mesiah. Others will have their knives out already.

At the end of the day Politicians regardless of race, colour, creed or party spin a lot of crap. Obama spins his crap more eloquently than most.

I do think he was the better choice. But the economy will be very shaky for some time regardless.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,720,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I am seriously considering it. I have some things to do here in the USA for the next year but I might pull the trigger on it late 2009.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I am seriously considering it. I have some things to do here in the USA for the next year but I might pull the trigger on it late 2009.
You're not the first to tell me this and not just for Oz, I'm hearing the Cayman Islands as well as Panama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand