Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 07:57 AM

656 posts, read 2,741,973 times

Advertisements

What NOT to do when a Great White Shark is eating your boat!

Man falls into ocean after trying to swat shark - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
A fisherman who fell out of a dinghy south of Perth this morning has reported being circled up to five times by a white pointer shark.
Tony Cappellutti from Fisheries says the man had been fishing near Warnbro about three to four nautical miles offshore.
He says it is believed that when a shark began to chew on the boat's outboard motor, the man tried to fend it off with an oar.
Mr Cappellutti says the man dropped the oar into the water and then fell in while trying to retrieve it.
"So he's now in the water, his boat's in gear and it's heading off," he said.
"So of course he couldn't get back to his boat so he then states that the shark's reappeared, circled him four or five times and then disappeared."
The man escaped unharmed after flagging down another boat.

Ok this might be just my opinion
But if a Great White Shark had just been eating my boat
The last thing I would Do is fall into the water trying to retrieve an oar, especially when the motor is still running
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
I heard this on the news tonight and I can't help thinking it sounds like some kind of macabre comedy sketch!

I mean if you lose the oar and there's a great white who's already had a bit of a nibble on the boat WHY would you even put your hand over the side to try to retrieve it????? (I mean hasn't the fool seen JAWS??? )

I'd have turned on the engine and pretty much "walked" on water to get outta there!

He would have to be the LUCKIEST bloke in the country right about now I'm thinking.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:52 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Sounds like an elderly Canadian gent who was picked up in the North Atlantic in September
(approx. mid-hurricane season) by the British Navy after his sailboat capsized, and he was sailing alone.

When asked what he was doing out there, his response was
"...I'm 70-something years old; I'm too old to sail. So I thought I'd take my boat over to England to sell it..."

*Though it is too far north to be affected by actual hurricanes,
any hurricanes that do not make landfall always curve back towards England,
making tremendous wave swells, wave heights often 55-85 feet after storm tracks like this. (18-28 metres?)

Old 05-10-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Sounds like an elderly Canadian gent who was picked up in the North Atlantic in September
(approx. mid-hurricane season) by the British Navy after his sailboat capsized, and he was sailing alone.

When asked what he was doing out there, his response was
"...I'm 70-something years old; I'm too old to sail. So I thought I'd take my boat over to England to sell it..."

*Though it is too far north to be affected by actual hurricanes,
any hurricanes that do not make landfall always curve back towards England,
making tremendous wave swells, wave heights often 55-85 feet after storm tracks like this. (18-28 metres?)
Love it!

The more I think about the other with the shark the more I see Mr Bean!

Old 05-11-2009, 02:06 AM

656 posts, read 2,741,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I heard this on the news tonight and I can't help thinking it sounds like some kind of macabre comedy sketch!

I mean if you lose the oar and there's a great white who's already had a bit of a nibble on the boat WHY would you even put your hand over the side to try to retrieve it????? (I mean hasn't the fool seen JAWS??? )

I'd have turned on the engine and pretty much "walked" on water to get outta there!

He would have to be the LUCKIEST bloke in the country right about now I'm thinking.

^My thoughts exactly

I mean if I lost my oar
I would maybe stretch over the side a little bit
But to stretch right over the edge and fall in when there's a 5m shark in the water is nuts
I mean if your dog fell in I'll understand (Gotto save your dog!)
But if it was the wife, well.... she would stay

Old 05-11-2009, 03:04 AM

129 posts, read 555,405 times
[quote=HairyandScary;8726995]What NOT to do when a Great White Shark is eating your boat!

Man falls into ocean after trying to swat shark - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
A fisherman who fell out of a dinghy south of Perth this morning has reported being circled up to five times by a white pointer shark.
Tony Cappellutti from Fisheries says the man had been fishing near Warnbro about three to four nautical miles offshore.
He says it is believed that when a shark began to chew on the boat's outboard motor, the man tried to fend it off with an oar.
Mr Cappellutti says the man dropped the oar into the water and then fell in while trying to retrieve it.
"So he's now in the water, his boat's in gear and it's heading off," he said.
"So of course he couldn't get back to his boat so he then states that the shark's reappeared, circled him four or five times and then disappeared."
The man escaped unharmed after flagging down another boat.

He is one lucky guy, that is for sure

Old 05-12-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
^My thoughts exactly

I mean if I lost my oar
I would maybe stretch over the side a little bit
But to stretch right over the edge and fall in when there's a 5m shark in the water is nuts
I mean if your dog fell in I'll understand (Gotto save your dog!)
But if it was the wife, well.... she would stay
Guess your wife doesn't like going fishin' with you then Hairy?

Maybe having the monster hanging off the outboard freaked him out so much it turned him into a bumbling klutz?

He should buy a lotto ticket, that's for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand