Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,697,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Hey minibrings

I'm your other neighbour here in Vermont. I've been here a year now and although it took me awhile to feel at home and I missed New Zealand and Australia, I love it.

Where do you get vegemite?
There are a number of Australian catalog companies in the USA that stock aussie food items among other things of interest. I usually order twice a year for a treat of arnotts mint slices and some cases of Bundaberg soda like lemon lime and bitters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 05:57 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,733,969 times
And in Oz, there's a company in Melbourne called USAFoods where you can items you miss from America. We put in an order twice a year. Crisco for pie crust, and Cream of Wheat (farina) are a couple of things we can't live without. Oh, and spicy Clamato.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:08 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,933,532 times
I should buy shares in USAFoods! David Jones (Sydney) now has a limited range of produce from there, but they need more! Louisana Hot Sauce..mmhmm.
Gratuitous on-topic reference: This all adds positively to the quality of life in aust.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:23 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,733,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I should buy shares in USAFoods! David Jones (Sydney) now has a limited range of produce from there, but they need more! Louisana Hot Sauce..mmhmm.
Gratuitous on-topic reference: This all adds positively to the quality of life in aust.
Yes, hot sauce. Especially chipotle hot sauce. I haven't found anything chipotle here in Perth. I can't eat my eggs without hot sauce. Cholula is nice too. I have seen that in some specialty sauces here but only in tiny bottles.

The other must-have is tinned tomatillos, from which I make green salsa. Fantastic for slow-cooked pork shoulder.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,035,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Hi minibrings,

Wow we're neighbors... Massachusetts here...
G'day neighbor! I'm in the Portsmouth, NH area..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Hey minibrings

I'm your other neighbour here in Vermont. I've been here a year now and although it took me awhile to feel at home and I missed New Zealand and Australia, I love it.

Where do you get vegemite?
I bought mine at the Tuck Shop in NYC on E. 1st/1st Ave. The other time I bought at a British bakery in Toronto. My next trip to NYC I may stop by the Tuck Shop and can pick one up for you, if they still have it. Its not cheap though. When I moved to the US from Canada I threw it out a large jar of vegemite as US customs on my trip prior asked if I had food products and I got a little nervous.. I don't mess with US customs.

Have either of you ordered from this outfit?
http://www.simplyoz.com/

I'm thinking of placing an order; Im kind of sad that Target stopped selling Tim Tams!

Old 05-27-2009, 07:06 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,933,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

When I moved to the US from Canada I threw it out a large jar of vegemite as US customs on my trip prior asked if I had food products and I got a little nervous.. I don't mess with US customs.
You needn't worry..their concern is food products, not vegemite.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,697,603 times
Quote:

I bought mine at the Tuck Shop in NYC on E. 1st/1st Ave. The other time I bought at a British bakery in Toronto. My next trip to NYC I may stop by the Tuck Shop and can pick one up for you, if they still have it. Its not cheap though. When I moved to the US from Canada I threw it out a large jar of vegemite as US customs on my trip prior asked if I had food products and I got a little nervous.. I don't mess with US customs.

Have either of you ordered from this outfit?
Simply Australian: Home of Quality Australian Products

I'm thinking of placing an order; Im kind of sad that Target stopped selling Tim Tams!
Simply Australian: Home of Quality Australian Products I've had good luck with several times, but there is also the Australian Catalogue Company and Aussie Products. Mostly I order from simply oz due to the fact I can get cases of Bundaberg soda from them.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yes, hot sauce. Especially chipotle hot sauce. I haven't found anything chipotle here in Perth. I can't eat my eggs without hot sauce. Cholula is nice too. I have seen that in some specialty sauces here but only in tiny bottles.

The other must-have is tinned tomatillos, from which I make green salsa. Fantastic for slow-cooked pork shoulder.
I was so happy to find cholulu at my local grocery store in north adelaide. that was a special day as i also found a bagel shop very close to the store! but for most other mexican supplies I was so out of luck. Even harder was caribbean supplies -- I once went to a market in Sydney as I heard one could get plantains and they wanted $70 AUD for ONE plantain! I could not remember but the ackee (wiki it) was also priced beyond reach. Insane. I walked away in disgust.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,831,987 times
Quote:
I was so happy to find cholulu at my local grocery store in north adelaide. that was a special day as i also found a bagel shop very close to the store! but for most other mexican supplies I was so out of luck. Even harder was caribbean supplies -- I once went to a market in Sydney as I heard one could get plantains and they wanted $70 AUD for ONE plantain! I could not remember but the ackee (wiki it) was also priced beyond reach. Insane. I walked away in disgust.
Don't they grow plantain bananas in Oz?
(I know they do grow some kind of bananas in Oz, even in "desert" areas like Carnarvon, WA. )

For anyone who's never tried fried ripe plantain bananas,
for me they have a taste that's a cross between sweet potato/yam and the tart taste of an apple.
(very addictive, imho)

Old 05-31-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Don't they grow plantain bananas in Oz?
(I know they do grow some kind of bananas in Oz, even in "desert" areas like Carnarvon, WA. )
No there aren't enough people from the caribbean/latin america to justify growing a crop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand