Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:27 PM

184 posts, read 837,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
If you're a really keen walker then you can catch the ferry from Devonport to Rangitoto Island (extinct volcano) and walk to the top. I don't believe it's too difficult a walk although I haven't done it myself
I've done that walk, it's a really cool place - and a good view from the top. It's also worth taking a torch so that the lava caves can be explored. It can get a little steep in parts, but it's such a well used trail that anybody could make it if they pace themself.

chilaili, The other island I would suggest going to is Tiritiri Matangi. The whole island is a bird sanctuary and well worth a visit, you will see endangered NZ birds there that you are unlikely to see anywhere else. They only allow a limited number of people to visit each day so it's never going to be too crowded either.

I think it's great that you are staying over in Takapuna. I've met too many people who come and visit Auckland and end up staying downtown and being disapointed with their experience. Very few of us here spend much time downtown either except for work so it would give a fairly warped sense of the city. Staying in Takapuna will give you a good feel for what it's like for those of us that actually live here and I think you will have a much better time because of it. The walk hkgal mentioned from Takapuna to Milford is a really nice little walk and if you have transportation I would also recommend checking out some of the other north shore bays further north too. I really like the Browns Bay/Murrays Bay/Mairangi Bay area for hanging out in a cafe or just walking along the beach.

One thing just to warn you about (although your friends may have already done so) is that the weather can be pretty flakey in November. It may be warm and sunny or cool and wet (and maybe both on the same day) - so come prepared for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:33 PM

184 posts, read 837,317 times
Oh, I just thought of another one. It's a little out of Auckland but if the weather is good then a trip up to the Goat Island Marine reserve near Leigh could be an idea. Being a marine reserve, the fish have no fear of humans so they swim right up and around you in huge numbers - it's really cool. November would normally be a little cold for me to consider going there, but I see you are in Colorado so you might be a little tougher than I am

Old 07-09-2009, 01:27 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Visit the West Coast Beaches such as Piha and see the Gannet colony at Muriwai. Go to Titirangi Village, plenty of cafes, art galleries and restaurants. Catch a ferry to Waiheke Island, it's a really lovely island and very relaxing. Takapuna is a great place, plenty of bookshops, cafes and the like. Also take a walk on the waterfront to Mission Bay. Go to Mount Eden, superb 360 degree views of Auckland. Visit Rainbow's End in Manukau which is a bit of a distance from the city but quickly accessible via the southern motorway. Also go to Kingsland which is a trendy area with cafes and restaurants, some really cheap book warehouses around there and it's a very old area with plenty of preserved wooden villas - worth doing a walk but it's quite hilly in some parts, same applies to Grey Lynn and Ponsonby. And of course the infamous Sky Tower. Owera and Waiwera hot pools in the north, the hot pool is really good for aching bones!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
Guys, this is BRILLIANT! At this rate I'll know more than my friends do . I have visited NZ before during Summer and Winter so I will be prepared for the (totally unpredictable) weather. Last time I was there it was the February you had those tremendous storms that shut down Wellington airport and the ferry services to Picton for 2 days and flooded the bottom half of North Island. I had to skip all my plans for visiting Blenheim and Kaikoura and go straight down to Queenstown. Anyway, despite hating to fly, I am getting really excited about my trip. Who knows, maybe I'll even run into a couple of you while I'm there .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand