Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:15 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
ya, they could still race 1/4 mile safely if the older tracks would lengthen their run offs they would be fine. one thing i noticed during the race this weekend is no one blew up. they said most of the blow up's are in that last 320 feet of race track. i think they should run a restricter like nascar. because that's what it's coming to. i think the nitro cars are going just fast enough to put on a good show.
They already have a restriction on injector scoop size, 24 sq in. That does the same thing as a restrictor plate. It will not work on a blown car they just turn the blower faster. What they will probably do is limit fuel pump size. Less fuel=less power. NHRA may have caused part of the problem with their RPM limiter. If you heard Austin Coil's comment on 1000' racing you get the idea they were maxed out at 1000' and holding on hoping not to blow up the last 320

As far as adding length to tracks. Older tracks now have other things built around them and are land locked. Newer tracks continue to improve. We have one of the longer tracks at RT66 during the off season we added 60' to the sand pit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 09:24 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,303,673 times
Question questions questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
They already have a restriction on injector scoop size, 24 sq in. That does the same thing as a restrictor plate. It will not work on a blown car they just turn the blower faster. What they will probably do is limit fuel pump size. Less fuel=less power. NHRA may have caused part of the problem with their RPM limiter. If you heard Austin Coil's comment on 1000' racing you get the idea they were maxed out at 1000' and holding on hoping not to blow up the last 320

As far as adding length to tracks. Older tracks now have other things built around them and are land locked. Newer tracks continue to improve. We have one of the longer tracks at RT66 during the off season we added 60' to the sand pit.
i didn't relize they already had something resticting them. i can understand about adding length to an old track. and like you said and i said it does seem to be the last 320 feet where they blow. what they should do is let them race the full track at places that have long enough shut down areas. do think that would work ? do you know why they went from 85 to 90 % on the fuel ? wouldn't that have something to do with more explosions ? it seems to me adding more nitro to an already explosive situation is not the best thing to do. what do you think about that ? oh yeah, how about that cooling system at bandimere in denver, do think that will make a big difference ?

Old 07-19-2008, 02:56 PM

First only Gateway, Las Vegas, 66, Virginia and the new track in NC have been built since 1990. So you can't throw out old tracks. Next how long is long enough. I saw Schumacher in Columbus (not a long track) have his chutes fail and still make the first turn off. His rotors were glowing but he made the turn. Watch Force he always stops on the track. Some way to deploy the chutes if driver is dazed is one thing that would help. It's my understanding that 90% is causing fewer engine failures than 85% It has to do with trying to get more performance out of 85 so you change comp ratio, blower overdrive, spark lead and clutch application. Don't know about the cooling system. It looked like some teams were having trouble when it ended. I'll ask the next team that shows up at the track. Since NHRA eliminated testing we don't see them with their cars. Maybe Tim will stop by with Dan's AFC.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
First only Gateway, Las Vegas, 66, Virginia and the new track in NC have been built since 1990. So you can't throw out old tracks. Next how long is long enough. I saw Schumacher in Columbus (not a long track) have his chutes fail and still make the first turn off. His rotors were glowing but he made the turn. Watch Force he always stops on the track. Some way to deploy the chutes if driver is dazed is one thing that would help. It's my understanding that 90% is causing fewer engine failures than 85% It has to do with trying to get more performance out of 85 so you change comp ratio, blower overdrive, spark lead and clutch application. Don't know about the cooling system. It looked like some teams were having trouble when it ended. I'll ask the next team that shows up at the track. Since NHRA eliminated testing we don't see them with their cars. Maybe Tim will stop by with Dan's AFC.

i remember seeing tony with glowing rotors. maybe with all this safety mods going on they could come up with a remote chute and kill switch system so the crew cheif could deploy them if they see their driver in trouble. just a thought... i know in the monster jam series they have a remote kill switch if the driver get's in trouble, they can kill the electrical and fuel systems. i think something like that would surely have saved scotts life instead of having just to watch the car go flying down the track with the driver knocked out. i have never really had a chance to talk track cause i'm never able to get to any races.. oh ya, as far as the length of the track. look how fast their still going. i can't beleave their still going just under 4 sec at over 300 mph. that's screaming for sure..

Old 07-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
i remember seeing tony with glowing rotors. maybe with all this safety mods going on they could come up with a remote chute and kill switch system so the crew cheif could deploy them if they see their driver in trouble. just a thought... i know in the monster jam series they have a remote kill switch if the driver get's in trouble, they can kill the electrical and fuel systems. i think something like that would surely have saved scotts life instead of having just to watch the car go flying down the track with the driver knocked out. i have never really had a chance to talk track cause i'm never able to get to any races.. oh ya, as far as the length of the track. look how fast their still going. i can't beleave their still going just under 4 sec at over 300 mph. that's screaming for sure..
Remote kill switches are a problem on a fuel car. Shutting the ignition off will not stop it. After they get hot a fuel car will run like a diesel you have to shut off the fuel. If you use a remote to stop fuel and the driver still has throttle open you will cause at least major engine damage. You can't run a fuel car lean.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:45 AM

Talking drag racing rules

well, i hope they come up with something to keep the drivers safer.. i see they have put a panic button on the steering wheel in some cars. i'm sure you heard that. that seems like a good thing as long as the driver doesn't get knocked out...

Old 07-25-2008, 05:34 PM

124 posts, read 501,814 times
Quote:
They already have a restriction on injector scoop size, 24 sq in. That does the same thing as a restrictor plate. It will not work on a blown car they just turn the blower faster.
They're already limited to a max of 50% overdrive on the blower.

Even if the track had been 500 feet longer Scott most likely would still have died. The #3 intake port blew up, a part of the intake around the burst panel blew out and the engine was running on it's own oil until the very end. The only way to stop the engine in that scenario is to starve it of air. There were also skid marks from the front tires going into the sand trap and Scott was conscious the entire time. That's been confirmed by Connie himself. Scott was on the brakes but the engine was continuing to pull and there's no way he could get it stopped.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch71 View Post

Even if the track had been 500 feet longer Scott most likely would still have died. The #3 intake port blew up, a part of the intake around the burst panel blew out and the engine was running on it's own oil until the very end. The only way to stop the engine in that scenario is to starve it of air. There were also skid marks from the front tires going into the sand trap and Scott was conscious the entire time. That's been confirmed by Connie himself. Scott was on the brakes but the engine was continuing to pull and there's no way he could get it stopped.

thanks for the information. i had not heard that. they haven't said much about it on race day or during any of the races. i've also been checking on the nhra website and haven't seen anything.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:53 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
I think the NHRA is taking a level-headed approach. Racing, like life will never be 100% safe. I believe the 1000' nitro racing was a wise interim decision while all the options are considered carefully, much better IMO than a quick knee-jerk reaction. The sport does after all have a pretty darn good safety record all things considered. Working to improve that record is commendable, letting racers race is also.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch71 View Post

I have heard some other information, from a very reliable source, confirming Scott still steering the car as it entered the trap. I had not heard about the run away engine. I have seen the safety safari stop a fuel car by spraying carbon dioxide in the hat. That engine was idling and would not stop. If you could carry enough CO to stop one it might be a useful addition. In addition to adding a way to stop it would add weight helping slow things down.

I would rather see NHRA change to 1000 ft permanently than castrate the class and make them like the NASCAR's gutless super speedway cars. But than I'm an old dude. I remember racing 1000 ft in an injected FC in the late 60's. Fans didn't mind then.Wish I could remember the track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing