Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:37 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,061,415 times

Advertisements

Since City Data has created a new subforum just for racing, we can't sit by and let it be all-Nascar-all-the-time. We need to have at least one thread dedicated to F1. So here we have it!

What do you think of the season so far? Do you have an opinion on the Max Mosley fiasco? Will Alonso ever see pole again? And is Lewis Hamilton the real thing or just a flash in the pan? Tell us whatcha think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
I think it's been pretty good so far.

3 races 3 different winners

BMW/Sauber improving enough to challenge Ferrari and McClaren

Toyota improving

Red Bull sorprisingly strong

So far, so good

I think Mosley's toast and the jury's still out on Hamilton He's wicked fast when the car's right but it remains to be seen if he can perform consistently under the pressure of a not so right car.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,061,415 times
I think Kimi is definitely the best driver on the track and has been for a few years, so it was wonderful to see him win the championship last year. That was a great, competitive season. I hope this year is as interesting ... but for the right reasons. Last year we had the so-called Spygate, and this year we have Mosley & his Nazi fetish. Siiiiiiiigh.

I'm a big Hamilton fan. I can't help myself. As I said before, I still think Kimi is the best driver out there, but I'm hoping that Hamilton can be more than someone who qualifies well. I'll enjoy seeing him improve.

I think Alonso's ego may have permanently damaged his career. This saddens me because I used to be a big fan of Fernando, but he lost me last year. I went from being one of his biggest cheerleaders to calling him Sir Douche-a-lot. I wonder how different things would be if he'd never left Flavio's side. Granted, it seems as though Renault's car is not as good as it used to be, so that isn't helping. Time will tell.

My favorite thing about this year: Spa is back on the calendar! Woo hoo!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 AM

If Kimi's not the best he definitely is in one of the best car/driver combos. I think Kubica has much potential and I'd love to see Webber in a first tier ride, I think he might surprise a few people.

I think Alonso's still a great talent, more than anything else I believe last year's debacle was a culture clah, McClaren isn't considered the easiest team to drive for. Alonso in a Ferrari would be very interesting but I don't want to see Massa take a fall to make it happen.

I couldn't agree more about Spa! What a great track!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:50 AM

One question I've been unable to find an answer for is whether McClaren/Mercedes' new found reliability last year was due to development or the 19K rev limit?

While I think banning traction control was a step in the right direction I'm not fond of rev limits or common electronic control units. In virtually any racing series I've ever followed, when there's been an attempt to lower speed/cost by regulation the engineers have found a way to go faster and it always costs more.

I'd like to see F1 back at 3 liters with no designated number of cylinders or rev limit. Innovation should be part of F1 and I don't want to see a spec car. If they feel a need to limit speeds, do so with tire size/compund and less downforce.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:57 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,849,858 times
BMW Sauber fan checking in!!

I'm with burdell regarding the tech aspect of the sport. To turn it into spec racing is a travesty. So much great tech from F1 has found it's way on to street cars. To limit that innovation holds back progress.

No comment on Mosley.

Hamilton is the real deal. One of the quickest drivers out there. Has anyone seen the Top Gear episode of him in an economy car on a wet track? Amazing.

Alonso has some serious attitude problems, IMO. Renault is no longer a contender.

Kubica is one of the most promising up and comer's out there right now, IMO. I would have loved to see Vettel stay on with BMW, but I suppose if you are offered a full time ride you can't pass that up.

Bourdais is living up to his expectations. I didn't expect much out of him in F1 and that is exactly what I am seeing from him.

Sato has really stepped it up this year. Still not great but not the rolling chicane of years past.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:32 PM

I think it's a little too early to be writing Alonso off, he's still quite young and has already won two titles against some very tough competition.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:30 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,676,862 times
The problem with limiting speed with tire size, compound and down force is that you have a car that is faster than its capable of being driven. Safety would be an issue.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
The problem with limiting speed with tire size, compound and down force is that you have a car that is faster than its capable of being driven. Safety would be an issue.

No car goes any faster than the driver causes it to go and any car can be driven faster than it's capable of going at a particular place on the track.

I say give the drivers more of a role than technology.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Hey, Burdell - Didn't realize you were a F1 fan. Now that F1 is back in Europe A& I can enjoy Sunday morning at the races. I think they should go to complete slicks and reduce the aero to a single wing front and rear along with a venturi shaped belly pan. Allow any number of cylinders with a 15 grand rev limit and fully auto transmissions (constant input speed variable ratio) and anti skid brakes. I also think the cars should be a bit less fragile.

The other racing I like is motorcycle road racing. The 1,000 cc race bikes are just about the most unstable overpowered vehicles out there. I have never seen as much passing in an auto race as in a Moto GP or superbike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing