Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,454,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Still is probably a Heavy-Duty, it doesn't necessarily mean the truck has a diesel engine though. Heavy Duty just implies a more strengthened version of a light truck.

As I said before, having a gasser in a 3/4 ton truck is a bit of a drawback, many people buying used 3/4 tons like to have diesels because of the engine life as well as the towing capability.
My dad told me it was only a 1/2 ton. I would like to get a 3/4 after my dog passes so I can tow my 5th wheel with it. This truck isn't heavy enough to tow it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,705,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
My dad told me it was only a 1/2 ton. I would like to get a 3/4 after my dog passes so I can tow my 5th wheel with it. This truck isn't heavy enough to tow it.
Are you sure it's not a 1500? It's not possible for a 2500 to be a 1/2 ton, they're always a 3/4 ton truck while the 3500 is the 1 ton. The tonnage only represents the amount of weight you can haul in the bed, nothing really to do with towing capability.

Usually a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck will have a larger gas tank as well as beefier springs, better transmission, etc.

Can you post a pic, it might help us determine what it is?

Old 06-29-2010, 09:37 PM

Oh, Jeepers crow! LOL Um... it looks just like this one, and it's also white, except it's not a 4 x 4, and mine has bigger wheels and much nicer rims. It's a BIG truck. Thanks for losing patience with me Speedy! I just get in and turn the keys. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help Determining Value Of My Pick Up For Sale-truck.jpg  

Old 06-30-2010, 08:17 AM

740 posts, read 1,883,027 times
I see you are in Maine. A diesel pickup isn't popular here like in warmer climates, so it will probably sell a lot easier being gas. A 4x4 keeps it's value really well in Maine but rwd doesn't. Anyway I checked the NADA blue book value shows $14K for clean retail, but that is the short bed model. I also couldn't find info for the long bed.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Oh, Jeepers crow! LOL Um... it looks just like this one, and it's also white, except it's not a 4 x 4, and mine has bigger wheels and much nicer rims. It's a BIG truck. Thanks for losing patience with me Speedy! I just get in and turn the keys. lol
I guess it REALLY WAS time for bed last night!!! I meant, thanks for NOT losing patience with me!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
I see you are in Maine. A diesel pickup isn't popular here like in warmer climates, so it will probably sell a lot easier being gas. A 4x4 keeps it's value really well in Maine but rwd doesn't. Anyway I checked the NADA blue book value shows $14K for clean retail, but that is the short bed model. I also couldn't find info for the long bed.
Hey FX, I'm actually down on Cape Cod, but spend a lot of time in Maine and will be moving there in the near future. What do you suppose the extra value would be for an 8' bed on the extended cab? I have no clue.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:41 AM

740 posts, read 1,883,027 times
I am sure new they cost more. But very are not very popular so it may make it harder to sell unless the right person comes along. So most likely will be a wash. That must be a long truck!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:11 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Figured I would jump in and help with the valuator we have at work. It uses a composite of dealership and auction data and is updated monthly. The current prices are from the July 2010 update and are for "New England" which averages out prices across the New England area.

This is my best guess as to what your truck is:

2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LD-V8 Crew Cab SLE 2WD w/ 8' bed w/70k miles.

I assumed you had the base engine and the only option was the tow package. You know it's not a diesel, so the other options really don't matter as much, but can add up. Do you have leather, entertainment package, Bose stereo, sunroof, running boards, Z71 package, etc.? If so, those can all add incremental value, up to about $1k if you had all of them. You also need to confirm if it is in fact a LD and not an HD. The differences are in the suspension and frame. The HD is worth about $1k more than the LD version.

The reason you are having trouble pricing it is that the truck was most likely a custom order (either by the dealer or your dad) as the crew cabs do not generally come with full 8' beds. It can be ordered, but most generic valuators can't account for it. The bed adds about $350 to the value of the truck, but that's on paper, in real terms it makes for a long truck and may narrow your market, especially since the overall truck is just an odd combo.

Your trade-in value that you could expect from a dealer would be $10,250 - $12,750. The retail value runs from $15,000 - $16,125. I would shoot for a price between $12,750 and $15,000. Ask $15k and keep $12,750 as your floor. It's just an odd combo and I can't see many people jumping on it at full price. Finding the right buyer is going to be the hard part.

If you want to you can either post or DM me the complete VIN and I can decode it for you and let you know exactly what the truck is.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM

NJGOAT, thanks SO very much!!! I am going out with my daughter and SIL for lunch as they're here on vacation for a few days and have blessed me with their presence. I'll get the VIN after lunch and DM you with it. Thanks again!! What a great help!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
No problem, always glad to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive