Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,474,324 times

Advertisements

I hate winter driving. I don't understand how anyone could like it, but apparently some people like it. If you like winter driving, why? I am just wondering.

Don't let my location fool you; I learned how to drive in Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
I like winter driving mainly because I had always had 4x4's or AWD cars. I used to love taking out my old A4 in a good snowstorm and playing around, that thing was a little tank unless the snow got real deep. The thing I hate is other people on the roads, especially trying to get to work. People just act stupid, from the ones driving 2mph with their hazards on to the people driving 80+mph in their 4wd SUV only to turn up rolled into a ditch a few miles down the road.

So, yes to some fun winter driving on lonely roads, no to commuting to work with all the other sheep in a snowstorm.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:48 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
I am not sure 'like' applies. Winter just is, and you either deal with it or you move to a place where winter isn't a problem. Driving on a frozen lake can be a blast though. I sure don't like 2.5 days of snow removal in the door yard each time it snows, but then it has to be done, or i gotta buy another horse.

Maybe watching folks like you drive on snow is a better part of winter fun for some of us, that have no choice. I know I find watching this non-sence very ammusing. I recall out in upstate NY at x-mass 2007 there was a fair little snow with lake effect going on and cars were zinging left. right backwards and sideways into the ditches on both side of 390.

This almost looked like some sport and i wondered why they were all doing it. I was in my 0ld 85 volvo turbo on wide summer tires and not having issues. I was sure i didn't want to play that game though, so I stepped on it and pased them all.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,776,236 times
I wouldn't say enjoy, it's just part of living in snowy climates, like dealing with heat and humidity in the southeast. I also don't gloat over people getting in accidents in snowy environs, especially since half the time it's no fault of theirs (people sliding into others, etc). You do end up practicing more defensive driving because of others around you more so than you may like.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:32 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I like winter driving mainly because I had always had 4x4's or AWD cars. I used to love taking out my old A4 in a good snowstorm and playing around, that thing was a little tank unless the snow got real deep. The thing I hate is other people on the roads, especially trying to get to work. People just act stupid, from the ones driving 2mph with their hazards on to the people driving 80+mph in their 4wd SUV only to turn up rolled into a ditch a few miles down the road.

So, yes to some fun winter driving on lonely roads, no to commuting to work with all the other sheep in a snowstorm.
That covered all the points I would have made
Although it is sometimes amusing when I'm cruising along in a storm in a 250HP full size rear wheel drive sedan, passing 4WD and AWD vehicles like they weren't even moving.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:46 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
I think for some its a conquest to get to work when they should have called in. There is always that person that goes on about how it took them hours to get to work but showed up anyway. I always enjoyed when my son had a snow day, I would load up the Jeep and go sledding. Now that I deal with a lot more lake affect snow, ehh...I am not such a fan anymore. I have a rear wheel drive SUV and it sucks. Its like steering a big sled. I will never make that mistake again. Seriously, I had less issues driving my mustang in the snow. My next car is either going to be AWD or 4x4. We get a lot of snowy crappy-ness in Northern IN.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:49 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,702,751 times
I love winter driving...usually I'll take my Corvette out and put the top down.

But then again...it's usually in the 70's down here during the winter.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
i have driven in just about every condition you can think of, blizzard(not white out though), heavy dust storms, cat one hurricane, icy roads, wet roads, etc. i look at each driving condition as a challenge to improve my skills behind the wheel.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,920 times
Normally I don't mind driving in the snow but it's all the idiots around here that make it a miserable experience. People in Portland seem to believe that studded tires make you invincible and that four wheel drive will help you stop. They are either too cautious or way too cocky....either way it leads to traffic jams and strings of abandoned vehicles that make hilly roads look like a deleted scene from 'I Am Legend'. It's pretty pathetic that 1.5" of snow can shut this city down like that *snaps fingers*.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:00 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,092,084 times
I'm a Minnesota native, and I enjoy driving in snow, maybe because it's sometimes a challenge, and it adds an element of excitement to an often rather boring commute.

Now that I live in Atlanta, I miss it, but not as much as I thought I would. Maybe that's because interacting with Atlanta drivers adds an element of excitement to the experience even on level dry roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive