Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:43 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times

Advertisements

This is not conclusive proof of anything. The elevation of Geneva is 494 feet while the elevation of Albany is 300 feet. It is no shocker that a car gets better gas mileage going downhill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Your just lucky it was E85. Consumer reports did comparison with it on serveral of the same vehicle. They reported that they got a average of 27% less milaage per tank.The ethnol industry claimed it was more like 20%. I also have been adivse by mechanic firends to use a intake cleaner before evry oil change in gasoline becuase it tends to leave more carbon with 10% ethnol.Actaully ethnol based gasoline cost mo0re because using it as a 10% additive inst4ead of ohters yields less gasoline per barrel of crude and gets less mileage.That is why it had to be mandated for use by government in gasoline against the refining industries advice.My 2008 manual has a warning not to use more than 10% ethnol gasoline in it. Where I buy it says 10% or less. Watch the pump and of course congress has said it will not mandate more ethnol.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The gas alcohol program has very little to do with efficiency, lowered oil use or reduced emissions and everything to do with the GOP paying off the right wing agribusinesses in the corn growing areas. Without the subsidies for manufacturing the alcohol the prices of fuel corn would fall through the floor and the Midwest would be even more depressed than ever. There has been so much capital invested in this boondoggle that the program, like many useless military programs, is kept alive even if it does not make any economic or environmental sense.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
What the hell is "right wing agribusiness?" Like agribusiness cares about political philosophy.

Corn subsidies is an equal-opportunity game played by both sides of the aisle. Take your partisan-baiting BS to the Politics and Other Controversies forum where it belongs.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,657 times
This is very interesting, thank you for posting! About how many different sites did you collect data from?

http://www.resumedocket.com

Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
I never saw any difference in mileage after E-10 was implemented here. I heard a lot of Fox News type hysteria prior to the switch, so I started calculating things over a long haul.

I'm guessing it was because we always had oxygenated gasoline to begin with. Prior to E-10, MTBE was used-- highly toxic stuff. The only thing I noticed with E-10 was my car's fire-up first thing in the morning was slightly slower with E-10, as in a split second slower.

Now approaching 187,000 miles with no drivetrain problems. I'd say 75-80% of those miles were on E-10.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times
We know that pure ethanol nets between 10-15% less fuel economy...
You add 10% of this 10-15%-less-economy ethanol to your total fuel capacity...
And this magically comes out to 10% less total fuel economy...

Did C-D just invent a new field of wacky mathematics?

Last edited by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥; 07-29-2010 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
they are working on algae based fuels, including diesel and ethanol. but we have to use all types of fuels if we are going to truly power the future, we cant just eliminate some because we dont like them.
I disagree, wasting time and resources on an inferior fuel is inefficient. And when talking about fuel, efficiency is everything.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carry View Post
This is very interesting, thank you for posting! About how many different sites did you collect data from?
To whom is your comment addressed? (Just in case you ever come back here and post a second time.)

Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
We know that pure ethanol nets between 10-15% less fuel economy...
You add 10% of this 10-15%-less-economy ethanol to your total fuel capacity...
And this magically comes out to 10% less total fuel economy...

Did C-D just invent a new field of wacky mathematics?
That is a valid point. If pure ethanol nets 10% less fuel economy, than one should get 99%, not 90% of the energy from E-10. However, pure ethanol will only deliver all that potential if the fuel system is tuned to maximize the energy potential from it. But it's not. My car is tuned to run on gasoline, and the ethanol that is added is utilized much less efficiently than it would be if I were using pure ethanol. I suspect that, without retuning, if you filled your present car today with pure ethanol, it wouldn't even start. So then ethanol added to gasoline is just running through it without contributing to your power, even though your car could be tuned so that it would run on pure ethanol, and then mixing gasoline with the ethanol would have no positive effect.

Presumably, modern cars are designed to utilize some of the energy potential from the added ethanol, but not all of it. I remain to stand corrected by anyone who knows more about this than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive