Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:22 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

My wife took the new Ford Fusion in today to get it detailed for free because the service department was closed Friday evening when we made the deal. Anyway, they gave her a loaner vehicle, and 08 Escape that smelled like urine and cigarette smoke and told her it would be a couple of hours. Anyway, they called her on the phone and said it will be more like 5 hours because they were backed up. So we go and pick it up at 3:30 and one of the managers, Al, comes out and says he was sorry it took so long and is there something he can do to make it up to us? I was going to say it was ok, but since he was offering...he offered us the Simoniz interior/exterior treatment for free, that they were trying to sell me for $800 a couple of days ago. I told him ok and thanks. If they can give an $800 service/product away for free, that should tell you how much the thing is worth to begin with!!! I feel sorry for anyone who pays the $800.

However, I can't find one positive review or post anywhere about someone actually having the Simoniz. Free or not, is this something I really want/need to have on/in my car? I enjoy waxing and detailing my own vehicles, so should I get this done? Once again, it's completely free.

Last edited by kentuckydad95; 08-09-2010 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,554 times
Go ahead and have them do it but just so it's out there, that 7-year sealant that the dealers like to sell is the biggest bunch of baloney out there. I'm a professional detailer on the side and can say that there is no such thing as a sealant that lasts 7 years. With proper care on a garaged car, sealant will last six months...TOPS.

So the next time you buy a car and they ask you if you want their magical sealant, just say no.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Go ahead and have them do it but just so it's out there, that 7-year sealant that the dealers like to sell is the biggest bunch of baloney out there. I'm a professional detailer on the side and can say that there is no such thing as a sealant that lasts 7 years. With proper care on a garaged car, sealant will last six months...TOPS.

So the next time you buy a car and they ask you if you want their magical sealant, just say no.
My question is, 6 months from now, will I be able to wax my car? Meaning, will this crap they put on interfere with anything in the future?

Old 08-09-2010, 07:16 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
Wash it with Dawn detergent...strips off almost any "wax".
Then, clay bar if you feel it needs it, and use a decent product.
Less than an afternoon's worth of elbow grease.
GL, mD

Old 08-10-2010, 03:19 PM

I cancelled the appointment for tomorrow. Something doesn't seem right with it. Free or not. It's like I don't want their snake oil on my new car.

BTW, what do you all recommend for a wax?

Old 08-10-2010, 04:27 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,554 times
I actually stopped using wax a year or so ago because I tried (and got hooked on) sealants. Give the car a good claying even though it's new and apply a coat of this stuff. Let it cure for a good hour and your paint will be slicker than ice. The beading quality is incredible, too. Should last a good six months or so....I have three or four coats on my car right now.

Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger - 16 oz | Detailed Image

Old 09-20-2010, 01:06 PM

5 posts, read 135,158 times
big fan of the clay bar.. even when u buy a new car, crap is still in the spray wax they put on at the dealership... i was smuggled a few bottles of simonize by a friend..... the warranty that simonize gives u at least, allows you to pay off the car before you have to pay to repaint it.. you still should wax your vehicle twice a year at a min. (my opinion) . wax makes it shiny and hides the small scratches. Simonize doe not. they advertise it to lazy people who don't want to take care of there car.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
BTW, what do you all recommend for a wax?
Big fan of Zaino here.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:31 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Big fan of Zaino here.
Zaino is good, but very expensive. Try off the counter Maguirers NXT 2.0. You won't be sorry. Its every bit as good as Zaino at 1/4 the price.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
This stuff the dealers want to talk you into is mostly BS.
Todays cars with the basecoat/clearcoat finish will look good for years with regular HAND washes and a good wax once or twice a year depending on the climate you live in.
If you want it detailed, have it done once a year by a professional detailing shop with a good reputation. Forget the dealer add on crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive