Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:50 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,704,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
I am having a dilemma trying to pick between two vehicles after my 8 hour cars shopping experience yesterday:

Do I go with the 2010 Jeep Liberty which I really like but I worry about the longevity of the vehicle? (And mind you, I have been driving big ol' Wranglers for the past 11 years)

OR....

Do I go with the 2008 Mazda Tribute which seems like the smarter choice. The gas mileage is a tiny bit better. I believe the Mazdas hold their value longer.. blah blah blah

Do I choose the car I want or the smarter choice?
NO thinking person will shop for a car before they do the necessary research about the type of car they might want. With the internet that is fairly easy to do today. A visit to www.edmunds.com or www.nada.com or www.kbb.com along with searches about the different brands you like will make you a very savvy informed consumer ready to avoid the salesmen dirty tricks when it comes down to negotiating your car purchase. (note: the blue book that dealers use is a phoney book used to trick customers so ignore it)

STAY AWAY FROM CAR DEALERS UNTIL YOU'VE DONE YOUR HOMEWORK UNLESS YOU'VE GOT MONEY TO THROW AWAY OR YOU CAN LIVE WITH BUYERS REMORSE !!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 05:22 PM

979 posts, read 3,831,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Out of those two? Jeep hands down. The Escape/Tribute are pieces of sh$$!.

What's your price range? Do you want something that can go off-road? Do you deal with a lot of snow?

Price range is around 17,000.

The Mazda will actually be cheaper. And no, I live in Florida so no show. Just a lot of rain.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:27 PM

979 posts, read 3,831,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Look at the numbers and compare to see which of the two is a working SUV. The Jeep is and the Mazda...... well not so much.

Yeah I've read that. I also read that the Mazda is is a fraternal twin of Ford.... not a big fan of Ford unless it's a truck. Ford's seem to always have problems.

But then again the Liberty is said to be in the Dodge Nitro family (which was my first choice) but the ratings were not great on that vehicle.

I've driven Wranglers for over 11 years and they have been great as well as their resale value holding nicely.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 PM

362 posts, read 393,152 times
Quote:
I am having a dilemma trying to pick between two vehicles after my 8 hour cars shopping experience yesterday:

Do I go with the 2010 Jeep Liberty which I really like but I worry about the longevity of the vehicle? (And mind you, I have been driving big ol' Wranglers for the past 11 years)

OR....

Do I go with the 2008 Mazda Tribute which seems like the smarter choice. The gas mileage is a tiny bit better. I believe the Mazdas hold their value longer.. blah blah blah

Do I choose the car I want or the smarter choice?
The smarter choice would be neither of those.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:34 PM

24,528 posts, read 26,071,732 times
^^ Suggestions?

Old 10-10-2010, 07:54 PM

362 posts, read 393,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
^^ Suggestions?
She's in Florida. I'm not sure what her needs exactly are. But her last post tells me she's got a clue. Mazda has transmission problems (edmunds blogs) and the jeep is mopar junk. I'd go with something like a Rav4 if that is the profile she has to have. Better on gas, reliable and good resale and one of the few toys still made entirely in Japan.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:59 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,314,084 times
Quote:
Yeah I've read that. I also read that the Mazda is is a fraternal twin of Ford.... not a big fan of Ford unless it's a truck. Ford's seem to always have problems.

But then again the Liberty is said to be in the Dodge Nitro family (which was my first choice) but the ratings were not great on that vehicle.

I've driven Wranglers for over 11 years and they have been great as well as their resale value holding nicely.
I'm about as diehard Ford as you get and I'm recommending the Liberty to you. A friend had an Escape and it was far from a SUV. It was a car that rode high. Like I said, look at the tow ratings and packages and you will see what I mean!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
She's in Florida. I'm not sure what her needs exactly are. But her last post tells me she's got a clue. Mazda has transmission problems (edmunds blogs) and the jeep is mopar junk. I'd go with something like a Rav4 if that is the profile she has to have. Better on gas, reliable and good resale and one of the few toys still made entirely in Japan.
The Liberty will outdo the Rav4 high riding car as well.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Mazda can only tow max of 3,500 pounds. The Liberty is 5,000 pounds. The Rav4 is 2,000 pounds max. That doesn't supprize me one bit.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,361,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Rav4 and Mazda can only tow max of 3,500 pounds. The Liberty is 5,000 pounds. That doesn't supprize me one bit.
ya but if the OP is towing or wheeling then a full size 1/2 ton SUV or pick-up truck with a proper high and low-range trasnfer case would be a better route to go. But if they are like 95% of suv drivers and are not taking it off-road or towing a trailer/boat then none of it's off-road and towing capabilities matter which is why I vote for the ford escape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive