Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:17 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,982 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to get a used smaller SUV, preferably no older than 2008, with under 40K miles, and for hopefully the 16K-18K price range. We are looking to buy next summer/fall (2011), so that will give almost another year to have the 2012 model year cars come out. We really want to get at least 25 mpg highway.

What I can find online, the main options are:

Toyota Rav-4 or Highlander
Ford Escape
Kia Sportage or Sorrento
Hyundai Tucson or Sante Fe
Honda CR-V
Subaru Outback (not really an SUV but we like) or Forester

I do not like the Chevy or Dodge line of SUVs. I do like the GMC Terrain, but I know I will not get that anywhere near under 20K.

So what are the best cars for both safety (have a 6-month old child), and just as importantly, reliability as the SUV ages? I am just starting to do my home work on all of this but I figure there are people on here with input and more knowledge than me currently. Thanks!

Last edited by freshjiv; 11-17-2010 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 10:43 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
I like the V6 ford escape XLT 4x4 they are nice looking great little truck and a very popular and easy to find parts for and and independant mechanic can work on them.
http://www.carprices24.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/ford_escape11.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I'd personally go with the Outback or Forester. Both should be easy to find in your price range and you might even be able to swing a new base model Forester as they start right around $20k.

The Rav4, CRV and Highlander are all solid options, but you may have trouble finding ones in your price range with the age and miles you want, especially the Highlander. Also, while the Rav4 and CRV are solid vehicles they aren't exactly segment leading anymore, especially in the value for your money ratio.

The Kia Sportage is a real interesting choice and you could get one new in your budget, though they can get pricey when you start putting on the options, like AWD. I can't personally recommend the Escape. It's just not as spacious or efficient as the other vehicles and they have had more than their fair share of issues with transmissions recently.

The only thing I would ask is, are you sure you need a small SUV? You mentioned fuel economy as important to you and no matter which way you cut it cars are generally more efficient than even the smallest SUV's. It's nice having the added height for getting kids in and out, but they also generally don't have anymore room than a sedan. It's your preference, but just don't think that kid has to equal SUV. Heck, I cart 3 kids around in my Malibu on a regular basis.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the insight! As you talk about space issues, does the Outback/Forester have more room than other traditional "small" suvs like the Rav4 or CR-V? Do the subarus have good track records for little maintenance issues?

That said, I had no idea the Ford Escapes had transmission issues. Is that for the line in general or for certain years?

Back to the space issue, for that very reason I was thinking possibly about a 2007-2008 Honda Pilot. Terrible gas mileage, but much bigger with that 3rd row seating. How does the Pilot stand up to maintenance issues over time? Also, does the Highlander have significantly more room than the Rav4? Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'd personally go with the Outback or Forester. Both should be easy to find in your price range and you might even be able to swing a new base model Forester as they start right around $20k.

The Rav4, CRV and Highlander are all solid options, but you may have trouble finding ones in your price range with the age and miles you want, especially the Highlander. Also, while the Rav4 and CRV are solid vehicles they aren't exactly segment leading anymore, especially in the value for your money ratio.

The Kia Sportage is a real interesting choice and you could get one new in your budget, though they can get pricey when you start putting on the options, like AWD. I can't personally recommend the Escape. It's just not as spacious or efficient as the other vehicles and they have had more than their fair share of issues with transmissions recently.

The only thing I would ask is, are you sure you need a small SUV? You mentioned fuel economy as important to you and no matter which way you cut it cars are generally more efficient than even the smallest SUV's. It's nice having the added height for getting kids in and out, but they also generally don't have anymore room than a sedan. It's your preference, but just don't think that kid has to equal SUV. Heck, I cart 3 kids around in my Malibu on a regular basis.

Last edited by freshjiv; 11-17-2010 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: .

Old 11-17-2010, 12:56 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Good suggestions so far, but I'd also look into the Escape Hybrid, as the ones I've seen tend to be very efficient, and still have decent utility.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:00 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Thanks for the insight! As you talk about space issues, does the Outback/Forester have more room than other traditional "small" suvs like the Rav4 or CR-V? Do the subarus have good track records for little maintenance issues?

That said, I had no idea the Ford Escapes had transmission issues. Is that for the line in general or for certain years?

Back to the space issue, for that very reason I was thinking possibly about a 2007-2008 Honda Pilot. Terrible gas mileage, but much bigger with that 3rd row seating. How does the Pilot stand up to maintenance issues over time? Also, does the Highlander have significantly more room than the Rav4? Thanks again!
I'm not 100% sure on the sizing, but I believe that both the Outback and Forester are bigger than the Rav4 and CRV based on interior volume. They sort of slot in between those cars and the bigger Highlander and Pilot.

Subaru's are generally considered extremely reliable, and are on par with or better than most manufacturers.

Transmission issues on the Escape started to creep up in 2007 when the redesigned model was introduced. Before that they were considered pretty reliable.

The Pilot is probably one of the most reliable SUV's out there as long as you are considering a 2005+ model. The older ones were victims of the widespread transmission issues that afflicted all Honda V6 vehicles from around 1999-2004.

The Highlander is definitely bigger than the Rav4, but you are stuck between using the third row seat or having a good sized cargo area (same goes for the Pilot). Given you won't need the seat all the time, so it can be nice to have. The extra space though is really contained to the area behind the second row seats. I don't think there really is much difference in space in the first and second rows between the Rav4 and Highlander.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:48 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
The previous generation Highlander is a small mid-size SUV if that makes sense. It has a 3rd seat but it is comically small. It is bigger than the RAV4 but smaller than other mid-size SUVs. It is a good vehicle.

The previous gen Pilot in 2WD does not get awful gas mileage. Our 2006 gets 20-ish running around town but can get 25+ on the highway. It is very roomy inside and the 3rd row is very usable.

The CRV is very expensive used. It is still near best in class though. I disagree with the post above that says it isn't.

The Forrester is an excellent vehicle but it is hardly roomy. Excellent reliability and AWD as with all Subarus.

The Escape is an aging small SUV. It is popular because it is inexpensive and far from best in class. The 4 cylinder is too weak so you have to get the 6. It is a viable choice but it is not very refined and the interior looks like the "old" Ford, not the nice work you see today. The Escape Hybrid might be worth looking at because it gets excellent fuel economy - 30-ish all around.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:48 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
I have a Explorer and my wife has a Escape, both great trucks for the money. Both used 2008 in your budget.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the insight guys. Sounds like the Subaru Forester should be the first car I check out. What about the Hyundai line? I like both the Tucson and the Sante Fe. I think the Sante Fe is a little pricier, but doesn't Hyundai have a pretty good track record of reliability lately?

Also, what are the major differences b/w Kia and Hyundai? Are they owned by the same holders? Just curious, and is there any difference in quality b/w the 2?

Old 11-18-2010, 09:31 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Thanks for the insight guys. Sounds like the Subaru Forester should be the first car I check out. What about the Hyundai line? I like both the Tucson and the Sante Fe. I think the Sante Fe is a little pricier, but doesn't Hyundai have a pretty good track record of reliability lately?

Also, what are the major differences b/w Kia and Hyundai? Are they owned by the same holders? Just curious, and is there any difference in quality b/w the 2?
Kia is part of the Hyundai family and some platforms are nearly identical. Hyundai is steadily moving upscale and Kia is positioned as the most affordable line. Kind of the Chevrolet vs. Buick positioning.

The reliability has improved immensely from ten years ago and is probably overall better than GM, but not yet in the Honda/Toyota/Subaru range. The current issue of Consumer Reports has updated reliability ratings for all manufacturers - pick it up and look for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive