Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:32 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,467 times

Advertisements

Best replacement car for mom?

You shouldn't be replacing your Mom with a car. That's just plain wrong. After all, she went though labor to have you. A puppy, maybe, but not a car...even if you can get a great trade in value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
Best replacement car for mom?

You shouldn't be replacing your Mom with a car. That's just plain wrong. After all, she went though labor to have you. A puppy, maybe, but not a car...even if you can get a great trade in value.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Many of my good friends are seasoned citizens and my own Grandmother drove to age 90 and never a ticket or accident...

I think it is cruel to base something as important as personal independence on a number. It's just wrong

Rav 4 and similar are very popular because they are compact and provide great visibility.

Insurance company tried to low-ball my brother when his mustang was stolen... he would have no part of it and daily for two weeks faxed the adjuster ads for like mustangs... he also told the adjuster he would be just as happy to have the adjuster find the car...

Three weeks of rental car reimbursements and two weeks of faxes did the trick... the insurance cut him a check for the amount he asked for and he replaced the car with that check.

My 76 year old Mom liked the RAV 4 when we did the test drive... she bought a Corolla S and is very happy with it and it cost less than the RAV.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:50 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
rlrl, glad to hear that your mother is safe. I know someone who just turned 88 years young, and still drives daily in her Lexus or Honda Pilot. It sounds as though your mother is happy with the RAV4, and I agree that I would look for another one for her. If she wants a similar vintage RAV, you could find a 4-cylinder model without the third row that's Toyota Certified around the $17k price point. A non-certified model should be less expensive, but probably not less than $15k.

If she wants a new/newer car with a warranty, then I would suggest looking at something like a Honda Civic. If you're looking for a pre-owned car with no-haggle, then CarMax would be a place to consider. The RAV4 might be better than a car if she has back issues, as I know people with back problems that can have difficulty with sedans because the cars are not as high off the ground. The CR-V would be another model to investigate, since it's similar to the RAV.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-20-2010, 12:04 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
Cadillac!

My grandma has a 2002 deville with 10k miles, lol. Two years after buying it, she had to give up her license.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:07 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo700 View Post
I dont understand this talk about 76 being to old to drive. My dad is 76 years young and he still drives from Virginia to Florida twice a year. He runs his own business and claims he is going to work untill he dies. Trying to take his driving privileges away would kill him, i think.
Yes, it really depends on the person. Some 76 year olds can still safely drive for another 10 years or more and some should have stopped driving 10 years earlier!

Old 11-20-2010, 07:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Why has everyone gotten so shrill about this? What if she said she wanted to adopt a baby, on the assumption that she will still be able to raise a child when she is in her 90s? Would you say "Aww, How sweet!" and encourage her to do it?

She is PROBABLY going to decline in health, energy and mobility over the life of a brand spanking new automobile (or a baby), and therefore, a new car will outlast her, with the added cost being wasted.

Even the average driver in the USA drives only 12,000 miles a year, and she is not likely to be doing average driving mileage from the age of 75 to 90. Any new car that is not abused will last for 180,000 miles with good service, and that's outer limit tops. She just totaled a 3-year old car. Did it have more than 30K on the clock?

Buying a car is never a sure thing. It is a wager, of many thousands of dollars. If you were to place a $20K bet right now on the age at which she will no longer be able to drive, what would your over-under be? When your money is on the table, you had better make prudent judgments, and to bet that at age 90 she'll still need a car would be a really scary wager. "Aww, How sweet!" is not a rational consideration.

No matter how spry she seems to be today, her bones are fragile, her memory is beginning to decline, her eyesight is declining. Unrealistic optimism will not serve you well when you are talking about 5-figure outlays. It's not your decision to make, it's hers, but if you advise her, you had better be realistic, and not just politically correct. $10K seems like a lot of money to me, but if she wants to spend hers on a new car, that's her business. But realistically, it's not yours to encourage her to do it.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-20-2010 at 07:46 AM..

Old 11-20-2010, 07:41 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
Default hey bmwguy

and tennesee good to hear from you. is a CR V a Toyota? She just told me she doesn't want a used car

Old 11-20-2010, 07:47 AM

Default I didn't know a RAV 4 was considered a SUV.

I thought it was a "mini SUV' since it seems smaller than say a Cherokee

Old 11-20-2010, 08:05 AM

Default she told me

she just rented a Corolla from Hertz, she likes it but doesn't feel it would be safe enough as an everyday new car. they gave her a choice between that and an Impala. when she looked at the complicated dash and controls she said "forget it" and went with the Corolla

she's the type of driver who is easily intimidated by aggressive bully drivers.

a few years after i was born in the mid 60's she was stopped at a red light in the Bronx, NY . when the light turned green for some reason she was not paying attention and she was rudely honked by those in back. since that day she refuses to drive in areas of NY close to that area(nothing south of I 287) and considers that a 'trauma". when dad was alive he used to tell her "you're gonna be intimidated by someone honking at you from behind, IF YOU DON"T WANT TO GO FASTER LET THEM PASS YOU!!!".

she still does not grasp this concept. feeling that she has to move because an aggressive driver wants her to she is concerned she will put herself in a dangerous situation.

while she herself is a good driver, i fear she will make a misjudgment and get into a mishap due to an aggressive driver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive