Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 03:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,732,660 times

Advertisements

My 75 year old mom(dad passed away 2 years ago) just walked away from a collision with a pickup truck that was towing some kind of landscaping contraption after the driver ran a red light and couldn't stop in time on a rain slicked road. Except for bruises sustained by the airbag, she is fine. In fact the off duty trooper who saw the mishap was amazed to see mom getting ready to open the door and exit the car, which was totalled

This happened in the northern Atlanta suburbs

She had a 2007 Toyota RAV 4 and misses it terribly. I couldn't blame her. It was nice.

She said she was told it was worth $20,000 but that she will only be getting about $17,000 from insurance

Any idea what her next car should be? She asked me what's good and i didn't know. I assume she wants something as close to the same type of vehicle. I told her that at this point in her life safety and low frequency of repair should be her first priority even more so than comfort.

I have not shopped for a car since 1992 when i traded in my 88 Tercel for my 92 and I think the total bill came to about $9000

I have no idea what prices are these days either for a cheap car or an expensive one

She was also talking about maybe using some website where you simply buy a car based on the $$ amount you want to spend rather than haggling with the dealer(a good idea cause I'm a terrible haggler myself). the website then targets where the car is located
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 03:22 PM

366 posts, read 732,225 times
For about 17k she should be able to get a late model sedan that has good safety features. I wouldn't go new because it'll give her car payments and who wants payments at this stage of her life. See if you can get a copy of Consumer Reports Buying Guide 2011. Should be at your newstand now.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:28 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,709,430 times
This may sound very cruel but I'd say God was telling her that her driving days (at 75 and counting) are over.

It makes no sense at 75 to invest in another car that may only get limited use or tempt your mom to drive past her abilities due to her age.

Have pointed discussion with mom about other ways for her to get around since she is an important part of your life. This isn't about moms driving anymore it's about keeping mom around longer..........

Old 11-19-2010, 03:32 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,243,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
This may sound very cruel but I'd say God was telling her that her driving days (at 75 and counting) are over.

It makes no sense at 75 to invest in another car that may only get limited use or tempt your mom to drive past her abilities due to her age.

Have pointed discussion with mom about other ways for her to get around since she is an important part of your life. This isn't about moms driving anymore it's about keeping mom around longer..........

What the heck are you talking about? Do you know his mother or something? I know lots of seniors around that age and OLDER that have all of their faculties and are very competent drivers. Some people deteriorate faster than others but to use your isolated case as an absolute reference is nonsensical. She could have another 20 years of driving for all you know.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:40 PM

Default i know what you mean

i am here in NY and my brother lives in her area 8 miles away he has a kid and they can't take her everywhere

it is a 35 minute walk to the Walmart/Supermarkets for her (she is a 3 minute drive from the stores)

I don't think there is any pay per ride metro transit since she is in the Atl suburbs

so she needs to drive and this was caused by the other driver not old age

Old 11-19-2010, 03:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
Based on my mother's experience, she will very soon begin to significantly reduce her driving, and might very well drive less than about 20K miles in for the rest of her life.

She is entitled to keep the $17K and not buy any car at all, so I would strongly suggest buying a nice small used car that meets her utilitarian needs for about $5k, and keep an eye on the maintenance of it for her, and see that any necessary repairs and upkeep are made, which would probably cost no more than a thousand bucks for the remainder of her driving career. She might, in fact, even be able to do something more fulfulling with this $10 windfall, like a Caribbean cruise, or a flight to the old country where her parents were born. I think, by the way, that she can argue with the insurance company if their offer is unrealistic---she's not bound to accept the first figure, and can ask for an independent adjustment.

I disagree with Lux. There is nothing wrong with down-sizing your transportation when you reach a point in your life at which you no longer make the same demands on the car, especially if some change has already been enforced. Nor is it logical to throw an extra $10K on an actuarially poor wager that she will still be driving every day on long trips into her mid 90s. Lux is the one making the improbable assumption of need, although he is correct that we do not know your mother, and the decision lies with a prudent assessment of her requirements and capabilities.

I might also add, Lux, that this is an opinion forum, an expressing an opinion does not constitute nonsensical absolute references, but only sets of options that might be considered. Even if they are not the same as yours.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-19-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-19-2010, 04:03 PM

313 posts, read 325,537 times
I would look on craigslist and find another rav 4. I just looked and they have them from 15k to 20k. She is familar with that vehicle and its sets a little higher then a sedan. Looks like she already proved that they are worth the money. Happy shopping.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:12 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,186,347 times
I have to agree that another 2007 or near MY Rav-4 would be a decent choice.

Also agree that she could keep some of the money and buy a cheaper (older) car.

She should get checked out medically. Just because you feel fine right after a crash does not mean you are OK.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:30 PM

Default she refused the ambulance medical eval-

she is an holistic alternative therapy freak and often does not see traditional therapy/medical intervention as being very useful. they did a fingerstick and took her BP in the fire truck when she got out of the car. her BP was slightly high but that was due to the stress but otherwise OK

i suggested a cheap car but she is afraid of the lack of safety

the biggest trip she takes is 20 miles to go to medical appointments a few times a year

otherwise it's local driving

Old 11-19-2010, 04:34 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,605,651 times
If she loved the Rav4 then she should get another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive